Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

How to make something look like underwater?

:iconspajjder:
spajjder Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Hello.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make something appear to be under water?

I want to do something like this but underwater. Any tips and tricks other than add a blue multiply layer on top :P

Vivec City From Morrowind - Flat art by spajjder

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconeluelar:
Eluelar Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2020
Blue filter, light rays, particles, and soft fading of the far parts of the buildings or rocks or whatever it is you want to do.
:iconmrmegamaggot:
MrMegaMaggot Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Look over the blue filters on Lunapic. They have some amazing ones, really spices up my stuff.
:iconcicakkia:
cicakkia Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I firstly though you mean under water sea on whole image. But after examine your image, I assume you mean water for that pond, correct?

If it is, then usually pond has more clear water so there is no necessary to add blue filter or such. Usually the more closer, you can see bottom like fish swim on top of it, while the further away you will only see reflection of the above. I suggest google pond and see how it works
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2020  Student General Artist
- tiny bubbles 
- vertical gradient, dark blue at the bottom and opaque at the top (set on multiply)
- blue/cyan overlay
- fishes or other underwater animals
- rays of light 
:iconwolfzol:
wolfzol Featured By Owner Edited Nov 26, 2020   Digital Artist
Hi. Hm  Maybe these can help to you:

Aaron Blaise -  Mermaid -  Not deep sea
Aaron Blaise -  MerMay - Deep sea.
Aaron Blaise -  Some fish - Not deep sea.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGfRm0… <- traditional and digital

These are mostly characters, but the water effect and effects are very similar to the subsurface surfaces as well.

Colors and some minor effects can help. Aaron Blaise can tell good tricks and effects.

Maybe the movies also can help to you:
For example:
- Finding Nemo - simple underwater
- Nagi no Asukara - city too
these sometimes show very nice underwater areas

:iconextraterrestrialarts:
extraterrestrialarts Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Professional General Artist
The water always has bluish tones the further the distance goes from the point of view in front of you. The water "sky" where the suns  will be dispersed by the surface waves, making rays as the light penetrates the water. The further objects you would need to add bluish tones of background as they blend more and more into background as the distance goes, and eventually fade into the distance.
Dolphins by extraterrestrialarts
:iconkeithvwhalen:
keithvwhalen Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Any time I paint underwater scenes, air bubbles floating to the surface always helps the effect. Tiny bits of floating debris. Dirt billowing like smoke. These types of things help sell the effect of a different kind of gravity.

I did this painting a while back, trying to show a deep sea creature backlit by a spot light. I kinda wish a cooled the colors off to give it a murkier feel, but the debris and bubbles help a bit I think.

www.deviantart.com/keithvwhale…
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Above = lighter
Bottom = darker
Far away = bluer and fuzzier
Don't forget to add light rays comming from above and their proyection over the surface of things.
The surface should have some waves and the bottom rocks, animals and seaweed.

Here're my sad attemps xD

Ciudad Submarina by PaulaEdith

Mature Content

Sirena by PaulaEdith

spajjder Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey! Cool! Yea In gonna try something like it!
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Under water has light fading in deeper waters. The surface of the water has ripples. The light forms beams and ripples showing weaker and stronger light, because of magnification from the high peaks on the surface.

You can add what you expect to see under the water like coral reefs, fish, sharks, jelly fish, moss, and barnacles. I made something look like it was under water.

I created a 3D shuttle I called Cargo Ship for a spaceship that can go underwater.  
You can see I painted a rock covered a rock with moss. What makes it look more underwater is the light from the rippled surface. I pained in the light hitting the shuttle to help with the effect.

Cargo Ship by achipps

A long time ago, I painted a sub with turbines to drive it and lighting like a car headlights. Then in the distance I painted one heading towards it. 
There is a lot more you can do to make it look like underwater like a heard of fish like a flock of birds in the sky.
spajjder Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for the tips. 

Hm. In my picture things further away get more light and hazy. But since this is underwater, would that be the opposite effect? or....?
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How far away it is don't effect the lighting, because it comes from the surface of the water. if the water is a little dirty, then it will be hazy by distance. It can look pretty clear, but deep in the water the light fades and can't reach deep water. I am sure it would go deeper at noon, than at sunset, because the angle of the sun will make it fade faster because the light needs to go through more water.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/sunken-cities
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Student General Artist
I would add light rays coming on the top of the picture, and not just a blue filter, but a gradient, with the bottom color a very dark blue and the top color a royal blue. 
Look up references, that will help aswell ! 
spajjder Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you I will try that
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2020  Student General Artist
Anytime ! :3
Add a Comment: