Closed to new replies
November 11, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

how many brushes do you use?

:icon0-seven:
0-seven Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020
i work with krita and 99% of the time i use only 2 brushes for most of my drawings

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbullmander:
BullMander Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020
I used to think I should stay with only one or two brushes because that seemed like what most pro artists did, but I've recently begun to fiddle with more and more to see what I personally enjoy.
:iconfrailline:
Frailline Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Usually way too many, a good chunk of my painting/drawing is just fooling around with anything and everything in my reach. That or I just use the basic circle brush.
:iconwolfzol:
wolfzol Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2020   Digital Artist
Hm. Usually two.
brushes by wolfzol

You're works really nice. ^.^

May i ask why just 2?

Once, i tried to use special brushes, but i realized that if you don’t understand how textures work, it doesn’t matter what you use.  Then i decided not to use special brushes and textures/patterns until i pretty much understood the behavior of the textures.
Furthermore if you can draw with the basic brushes, you can draw with any program. : )
So, i just recently, maybe a half-year ago, started using several types of brushes. But still in 90% of cases I use the basic brushes. I wonder if I can speed up my own process or not. : )
:iconyancn6b:
yancn6b Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I mainly used

1.Charcoal(line and colouring)
2.airbrush(smooth the edge)
3.watercolour(clouds/background)
:iconp3ncil1nk:
p3ncil1nk Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020  New Deviant Professional Digital Artist
i just use mainly 2 hard round brush and an air brush thats all a person really needs for digital art
:iconbeebrushes:
beebrushes Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have so many brushes, but I usually use stick to 3 to 4 of them, most of the times I like to experiment with different brushes, in these occasions I can use up to 10 different brushes.
:iconjade-everstone:
Jade-Everstone Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2020  Student General Artist
I usually end up using 3:
-pencil-y brush for sketching
-brush for line art
-brush for blocking

sometimes I'll drop the pencil brush & just use the lineart brush to sketch, and sometimes I'll use just a pixel brush if I'm doing something w/that
:icontemarimaru:
Temarimaru Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I use 5 brushes in SAI. Brush tool for sketch and lineart, pencil for colours and shading, an airbrush, eraser, and a blend tool for... blending.

I have like more than 10 custom brushes available but I only use the ones mentioned. I rarely use the rest.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When you say you use a few, then would they be a soft and a hard edge brush? 

When I need a hard edge to show, nothing but the hard edge brush works, like painting dead leaves on the ground by moving around to resemble leaves and changing colors to keep the edge showing without a blob of one color. 
Shadows usually have a softer edge and blending to create a round or curved shapes. 

I don't think there is anything these 2 brushes can't do, and when you get down to a 2 or 1 pixel size, they are the same thing. 

I use Photoshop, and it has brush modes, a lot like the layer modes, but the brush has Color Mode I use to color images. I use Dissolve to break up the light brush into scattered pixels. I use to do that with the layer mode, but I think the brush mode is easier. Once there is spattered specks, I use motion blur to turn it into rain, or make copies and resize some larger and different sizes for distance. The distance snow would be smaller and some can look like fog, while large flakes are closer. I use a soft brush to lightly paint so there is not a lot, and I can add snow drifts, and wind blowing. Making it into hale is a little tougher, you need to add bouncing ice, scattered on the ground. 
While I use just 2 brushes, I do other things with them to create the look, from textures to illusions. 
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use a basic one for sketching and a bristle brush for colour and shading. If I'm making stars or something like that I'll use a brush meant for that. But mainly I just stick to my trusty bristle brush. 
:icontaedtahobca:
TaedtaHobca Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I use way too many bro. I have about 20 brushes I use on the regular.
‘For a typical art piece, 1 for lineart, I for color, 1 for shading/lighting (airbrush). Sometimes I’ll use the lighting brush. Also blender. And if I want fancy effects, 2-3 brushes more for bokeh. 

So I can use from 7-20 brushes per piece. Depends how much detail I want.
Mila For Chiiochi by KaylaWatkins This was a 7 brush piece just about.
Billy Hargrove Finished by KaylaWatkins This one was about 13 brushes? I put in a lot of detail.
:iconjackalrats:
JackalRats Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've only ever used the default brush in just about everything I make, I just change the opacity for what I need.
:iconthe-dork-side:
The-Dork-Side Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In FireAlpaca, I'll use 4.
Pencil for the sketch.
Analog for lineart.
Pen for coloring and everything else.
Airbrush for finishing touches.
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
2 brushes, one for sketching and an eraser with the same texture. If anything, resizing the sketch brush does a lot.

I have a general rule when it comes to any sort of creative crafts. And that is not relying on too many tools. 
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2020  Student General Artist
Consistency is important, so I use max 5 brushes
I really like to make new brushes though :3
:iconthehaxman:
TheHaxMan Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2020  Student Filmographer
Yep, I mainly use one brush in Paint Tool Sai 2 called Flat 3. On occasion I'll use an airbrush, or another one called acrylic. But flat brushes work for just about anything.
I’ve never felt so different as I do reading everyone’s replies 😂😂😂 am I the only one who uses over 20 brushes?😭😭😭
:iconthehaxman:
TheHaxMan Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2020  Student Filmographer
Lol. There's nothing wrong with using a lot of brushes, in fact, it's probably better to do so. I'm just too lazy to go though all the other ones. Lol.
Hahaha I see!
:iconkianlon:
Kianlon Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2020
I use like... 1 and resize it a lot for drawing but for painting all bets are off (also in Krita)
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2020  Professional General Artist
I use clip studio. I've gotten tons of custom brushes over the years, but I only use a few, and they're typically stock brushes slightly tweaked to my needs. 

Currently I use two brushes to pencil. One that is a little oversized for my drawing size to do super rough layouts (I think it is the "Design pencil"). Then I use a smaller sized "light pencil" to tighten up and detail those initial layouts.

Right now, I ink traditionally, but when I do (and did) ink digitally in CSP, I used the G-pen. I also have three custom variations on the gpen that I use, one that tapers in, one that tapers out, and one that tapers both ways. In real life, I also inking with g-pen nib right now... so there you have it. 

For coloring I used to just use the oil brush because it applies color, but also blends. I've started incorporating one of the airbrushes.. not sure which one. Also my desktop CSP has a textured blender that I sometimes use -- doesn't seem to be on my tablet version. Actually a tiny bit afraid to update my desktop version for fear of losing that one! 

But that's it really, just one or two brushes for each task. I'm sure theres great stuff in the hundreds of brushes I have, but I don't really have the time or patience to switch between tons of brushes. Maybe if I was more painting focused, I would but I'm more of a line art and simple colors kind of guy. 
:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2020  Professional
Mainly 1.
:icondroidfemme:
droidfemme Featured By Owner Edited Nov 16, 2020
it depends. i may use a brush just for the background then use a couple brushes to block in, then a brush to blend and a brush to add texture, then use a specific smudge brush or two. so that's 5-8 brushes

but ultimately in a pinch you CAN do everything with just 1 hard round brush, i just choose not to for stylistic and comfort reasons
:iconrafalnguyenkhac:
rafalnguyenkhac Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2020   Digital Artist
For my basic I use 3-4 brushes...but i have plenty for other stuff like texture,stains etc.

When you start its better to use as less as possible.
:iconociri:
Ociri Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Is all of them a valid answer? xD
Ok but actually I use around 4 brushes constantly, the number can easily increase if I need something different ^^
:icon0-seven:
0-seven Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2020
valid!!
:iconkaty-l-wood:
Katy-L-Wood Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  Professional General Artist
Tons. Better to get textures with one swipe than to spend hours doing them manually with just a hard brush. 
:iconkarren-san:
Karren-san Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  Student General Artist
Lots of them. Hard to count 
:iconsoreiya:
Soreiya Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020   Digital Artist
I don't use many to be honest. I think part of it has to do with me getting into digital art by doing oekaki. I'm use to being limited and working small. It's when I have to branch out and work large and use more brushes that I feel kind of awkward and uncertain.
:icondragonsarec00l:
DragonsAreC00L Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  New Deviant
I work in PS and usually only use 3 brushes
:icondekirbygal:
deKirbyGal Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I use one for sketching, one for lineart, and two for coloring, so minimum 4. Maybe more for added effects and stuff, or bgs.
I draw on medibang paint
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020
Usually start with one or two.
:icontangiwai:
Tangiwai Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
One, maybe two.  But I tend to use the one mostly then change its size as needed.
:iconelizabethkth:
elizabethkth Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Usually 2, sometimes up to 4 (or more if I'm feeling experimental)
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
usually just the normal one. but i don't get to technical into things.

sometimes i'll mess around with a couple more usually 2-3 other ones. 
:iconfistapology:
FistApology Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It usually settles around 2-3, then 3-4 if I care about smudging/blending
:iconigneriss:
igneriss Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020
I use PS, and I use 2 brushes. Sometimes 3. But my colouring style is very simple so I don't really need more ( :
:iconriger44:
Riger44 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Student General Artist
~3 brushes for the most part, then some extra brushes for things like adding texture and patterns.
:iconmisterkarbunar:
MisterKarbunar Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020
I work in autodesk sketchbook, when I first do a sketch I use primary pencil. When I paint I use tattoo inker.
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I use a bunch but I have them grouped for specific things. For example: I have some 'basic' brushes that can be used for anything - hard round, soft round, airbrush. a bunch of oil brushes. Then I have like 4 for skin, 6 for hair, etc.

Hair (Sketchbook) by Lillendandie
This is what my hair brushes look like.
:iconxr4p1d:
Xr4p1d Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
3 because its the magic number
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I used to draw with only 3 (oil, micropen and effect pen) but now I use a ton, I got used to add texture and effects with brushes so no-idea. 6 to 999 xD

:iconbadartmakamati:
BadArtMaKaMaTi Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020
:iconpigliiicorn:
Pigliiicorn Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
2-4 basic brushes, and maybe a few extra textured ones when painting.

1-2 when I'm really being lazy.
:iconsachimizora:
SachiMizora Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It really depends haha
Sometimes 2-3, sometimes way more!
:icongyrobreaker:
Gyrobreaker Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I draw with Ibis paint X and usually use 1-2 brushes. Sometimes 3 whenever I want to try something different 
:iconp3nny-l4n3:
P3NNY-L4N3 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020
I work with krita too 
I often use 5-8 brushes for lined drawings and it can go to 20+ for paintings-
Add a Comment: