Details

Closed to new replies
October 26, 2020
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

How many programs do you use/switch-over to for digital art?

:iconjelliart:
jelliart Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2020
For instance, I either like to use paint tool sai on my PC tablet, or procreate on my iPad for sketching. The overall process feels much more smooth and hassle free when I don't have to deal with such a bulky button-weaponized interface. 

There was one point in the past where I would do sketches on procreate, transfer it to auto-desk sketchbook for lineart and then use CSP for colouring. 

Maybe it's an ADHD thing lol, anyone relate? 

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyancn6b:
yancn6b Featured By Owner Edited Dec 3, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
maint Clip Studio Paint ,sometimes using photoshop to fix the shape , Ai or Blender to make some repetitive things, such as crowns/heraldry/architectures.

like this one using blender to build and csp to draw some effect
Fox by yancn6b  

and this one using Ai to make heraldry and Speaking frame
  Penguin Soldier by yancn6b   
:iconramsesmont:
RamsesMont Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2020   Digital Artist
Mainly Paint tool sai and retouches un Photoshop.
:icontebizamb:
tebizamb Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
I only use Medibang on my phone, it's great! I've been looking forward to trying ClipStudio
:icontemarimaru:
Temarimaru Featured By Owner Edited Nov 28, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I use 3. Two for PC one for mobile.

My main is SAI, which is on PC. I draw there, from sketching to shading. I then use Medinang for retouches and for tools not available in SAI.

I use Ibis Paint on mobile.
:iconp3ncil1nk:
p3ncil1nk Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2020  New Deviant Professional Digital Artist
just photoshop im not skilled enough to use multiple programs to add amazing effects to my art im a pretty simple guy
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
One, two usually. GIMP for drawing and postprocessing. PovRay for rendering 3d stuff.
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Only one program:

Autodesk Sketchbook.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2020  Professional General Artist
As it pertains to drawing and the main creation of my comic art - I mainly just use Clip Studio Paint. Especially now that it is available on Galaxy tablets and I can easily sync between devices. 

I also use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, but more in a print production capacity. 

Basic process is something like this:

- Rough "pencil" layouts in CSP, then tightened a little in CSP. Usually on my tablet. Also figure basic lettering out at this point for layout.

- Print those out and light box them onto bristol for traditional inking (though sometimes I convert to blue lines in Photoshop and print those directly onto the bristol for inking - depends on mood I guess). 

- Scan inks back in and adjust levels in photoshop to get the blacks super black and make the blue lines disappear. Could probably use CSP on this step but frankly i need to use PS for the import because CSP doesn't work with my ancient (but large format!) scanner.

- Drop those inks into the CSP file, and do all my color work in CSP. 

- Do my lettering in CSP

- Export images to layout for print either in InDesign or Illustrator (usually indesign - I do arrange some mini comic stuff that I print myself in illustrator because it's convenient). 

Everyday though, I find I do more and more in Clip Studio because it seems to do it all, and do it all really well. Just-- old habits in some cases. But for drawing. I've found that nothing really can beat it. Been using it for well over a decade back to when Smith Micro marketed it as "Manga Studio". I started with Manga Studio 4, probably 2007ish. I don't think you could even do color with it back then. Been great watching the software develop over the years. I used to digitally ink everything, too, but I enjoy traditional inking too much these days, so I don't do that anymore. 
:iconnamimanwhistle:
Namimanwhistle Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2020
Photoshop & Optics
KAMEN RIDER HOROBI STING SCORPION by Namimanwhistle  
:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2020  Professional
mainly photoshop.
:iconkaty-l-wood:
Katy-L-Wood Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  Professional General Artist
Mostly Photoshop, though I do sometimes sketch in Procreate. I've tried painting in Procreate too, but something about the way the brushes work in there just doesn't click for me. 
:iconslayersstronghold:
SlayersStronghold Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Mainly Paint Tool SAI2, rarely do I use Photoshop for certain blurs or some text wrapping, and gif creation.
:icontenkaminari:
tenkaminari Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
CSP all the way.
Rarely, I would draw on ibisPaint if I brought my iPad with me to outside and I had nothing to do. Although it usually ended up as an idea sketch and redrawn from scratch again on CSP.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2020  Professional General Artist
Clip Studio is my fave. I've been using it forever, however I switched to mostly traditional drawing. I would do a lot of my roughs digitally, but I got tired of sitting at my computer. I got a tablet PC laptop thingy, but it was too bulky. I switched to just doing my roughs traditionally as well-- but I did a few spot comic panel roughs on my android tablet in medibang, and realized I liked the small form factor of the tablet for working away from my desk/drawing board. Once Clip Studio came out for Galaxy tablets, i decided it was time to upgrade my tablet, and now I'm doing fully drawn roughs in Clip Studio again. 

Not sure what is faster or better, but I'm enjoying this process lately. frees up where I can work on some of my comics (on the sofa, at the kitchen table, in bed, etc.) - gets me away from the computer, and then I just print out the roughs and lightbox them onto bristol, and do my finished inks. NICE.

The only downer of using CSP on tablet (which maybe iOS doesn't have this problem) is that for lettering you're restricted to their preloaded fonts, vs on desktop you can use any fonts from your system. Especially unfortunate is that it causes issues syncing between tablet and desktop. Not a huge issue for me at the moment, because I have been hand lettering lately, but if I wanted to do lettering work it could get to be a pain. Hopefully they can figure something out on this...
:iconcrazymates2300:
CrazyMates2300 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Photoshop and Clip Studio.
:iconjasesaster:
Jasesaster Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I used to use Firealpaca a lot but moved to Krita for a more professional and with some advanced tool sets with the possibility of animation if I so chose to do that in the future. I might move to Clip studio Paint since I have heard a lot of good stuff about it in terms of comic development.

I would gladly use procreate but I don't own any Apple products. And I wouldn't break my back over that program unless I had to in a job.

Aseprite is my number 1 pixel drawing software that cannot be replaced. Change my mind
I also have Marmoset Hexels but it doesn't entice me as much as Aseprite, the commercial for it sells the software really well.

MS Paint for shitposts or any sort of editing to a picture to point out something.
:iconpixilityx:
Pixilityx Featured By Owner Edited Nov 5, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I actually only use procreate on my iPad now I used to draw on a non-screen drawing tablet and pc and I used medibang on there at first then switched over to paint tool sai and now it’s only procreate

(not like I use multiple for 1 drawing I do the full drawing on a single program)

it could be a smart idea if you only like sketching on one program and coloring on another
but I’m too lazy for that xd especially if it’s from mobile to pc or pc to mobile

(And I also just like drawing on my iPad because I can literally just lay on the couch or in my bed and with pc I can only sit at my desk)
:iconloserlemur:
LoserLemur Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2020
krita, its the only software i found so far with pressure control and its similar layout to photoshop is useful if i ever transfer to photoshop
:iconkei4dan:
kei4dan Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I basically use illustrator
:icondlerafoxdeviantart:
DlerafoxDeviantart Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2020  Student Filmographer
I only really use one for drawing, and that's Clip Studio Paint-possibly the best drawing software I've ever used (though, that's just my opinion). 
I rarely draw on anything other than my computer or paper, but if i do end up drawing on my phone I use Ibis Paint X. 
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just use Clip Studio Paint. I also have Procreate on Ipad but I seldom use it. 
:iconangry-noob:
angry-noob Featured By Owner Nov 1, 2020  Hobbyist
Two. I use Krita for sketching and filling the sketch with flat colors. Then I switch to Photoshop for shading and making the background
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I currently use Clip Studio for drawing / painting and Affinity Photo for editing my art. I find it a bit easier to make adjustments in Affinity because they have Photoshop / Lightroom style effects and non-destructive editing layers.
:iconriger44:
Riger44 Featured By Owner Oct 31, 2020  Student General Artist
Manga Studio(CSP) is my go to. Sometimes use FireAlpaca for painting since it actually runs smooth on my obsolete ass laptop.

Retas > TVPaint for animations.
:iconschwarzer--ritter:
Schwarzer--Ritter Featured By Owner Edited Oct 31, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
Aseprite for pixel art (my avatar was made with it) and GIMP for everything else. Although I often use GIMP for parts of pixel art.

EDIT: Also I use Sweet Home 3D to plan some of my artworks.
:iconvernnell:
Vernnell Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
( ' w') I use Illustrator and Photoshop, one for polishing line art and the other one to do the shading and effects.
:icondingbat1991:
Dingbat1991 Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Photoshop for the rough sketch, coloring on rare occasions, and final touch-ups.
Illustrator for inking, coloring and shading.
Occasionally I use Krita for animations.
:iconrsandrined:
RSandrineD Featured By Owner Edited Oct 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Gimp and krita just a slight loss of colors by switching from krita the colors are blander ! I always finish on gimp !
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Oct 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Photoshop for drawing
MSpaint for pixelart

MSpaint+ GraphicGale for jifs. 
:iconeyeballearth:
EyeballEarth Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use Krita for drawing, and GIMP for finetuning and adding effects.
:iconblackcapbandit:
BlackCapBandit Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2020  Student Digital Artist
I used to only use MS paint. Then I only did the line art in ms paint while I did the rest in Firealpaca. Now I only use Firealpaca. Haven't tried anything else yet.
:iconjade-everstone:
Jade-Everstone Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Student General Artist
I just stick with Krita. Has all the features I need in one place and I hate having to bounce between too many programs just too get a small thing done

I used to use Mypaint for sketching because I like the infinite canvas, but the program's not compatible with my tablet so I had to drop it.
:icontianasama:
TianaSama Featured By Owner Edited Oct 28, 2020  Student General Artist
I use mostly Photoshop, but sometimes lineart is very annoying, so I switch between Illustrator and Photoshop, like those pieces :
Ilaria : Queen of Obsession (BLEACH OC) by TianaSama   Starfire/Raven : 40% 40% 20% by TianaSama  
:iconkianlon:
Kianlon Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020
I do the program-switching thing with sketchbooks; one for colored pencil drawings, one for lineart/ink, one for warm-ups/practice, one for sketches, one for character bios, one for watercolors... at least they're different types of paper.
As far as digital art goes, I either do the whole thing in Krita (if it's lineless or painting) or I'll do the lines traditionally and scan them into Krita (or GIMP/MS Paint if I plan to do anything with pixels... it's been a hot minute since I've messed with that but I still remember how)
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have more than I normally use. If I give advice on something people can do in a program, I keep that program on my computer to help describe the details. 

Normally, I use a lot of programs when I need them. Like if I need to draw circles inside circles, lines or a lot of things that helps to be exact, I use FireAlpaca for the snap tools. Free handed stuff is drawn in Photoshop, and I also use it for cartoons to draw lines around shapes, so I can let the program do most of the lines in the line art. 
What I do is a lot of different things. I might design a desk in IMSI TurboCad 3D, or make models in Hexagon 2.5, and create the rigging for animations in Poser 7. Then I render 3D in Daz Studio to test and I use Photoshop to make image maps. When I set up a model to be used in Daz Studio, I make sure all the links to the images will work but, removing information that shows a file uses another drive, or not addressed to inside the main folder. I use Notepad ++ to edit the scripts.
When I do animations, I can use Photohop 7 for that, or do it online with AlpcaDouga on the FireAlpaca website. 

There is a good program you can use called SmoothDraw, and you can find it by adding .com to that name. When you download it,it will not take long, because it a a very small. When you use it, there is nothing more important, than what you do.
:iconmizkichan:
Mizkichan Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Student Digital Artist
only CSP. Though i wish i could use some 3D softwares to build complex backgrounds...
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
100% CSP.
:iconzirkon777:
Zirkon777 Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I use PS, AI, CSP and blender in combinations. It always depends.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I only use photoshop.
:iconfloopersixtynine:
floopersixtynine Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
100% krita with a mouse
nothing else, baby
TianaSama Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Student General Artist
"With a mouse"
That is so hard to draw with those OMG, I can't live without pen sensitivity xD
:iconfloopersixtynine:
floopersixtynine Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i can't live with it lol
manually adjusting line widths and tapers is an art in itself
TianaSama Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2020  Student General Artist
Well, using the mouse is very tiring for my hand, so yes, I would prefer pen sensitivity :'D
This is especially true for vector art, about adjusting the line width !
:iconbarananduen:
barananduen Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2020   General Artist
Just the one - Gimp.

For photography, I actually use more than one. I start off with Canon's DPR to adjust the RAW file, because that's lossless, and then export to JPG and move over to Gimp for final touchups, signature, etc.
Add a Comment: