It was a pain in the ass. This time I penciled in the swirls but didn't ink, and scanned the original twice- once my standard lineart (no greys), once greyscale (I scan huge- 600dpi for working, so lineart with no greys make no difference, and I find it easier to play with effects and pull out areas). Then popped the greyscale into Illustrator because its a bit easier to work with than Photoshop paths, and pathed in all the swirls. Transferred that back to Photoshop, as a path layer. On a new regular layer, stroked the paths with a 5px black pencil to get the lines. I would just ink in the future and pull them out from the edges like I did with the other- it is easier that way really (that did have less to pull out from the edge lines, but I still think it would have been easier here too).
Then new hue/sat adjustment layers under the lines, but above the straight red, select the paths, guas blur a bit, and offset, a lighter version moved down and to the right a bit, a darker version up and to the left- offsetting to give the "embossing." And then cleaned up the bits that offset outside of the areas it should.