I got tagged for this by
so I thought I'd roll them all into one. And not a Ms. Amazing or a Sorceress in sight. Lets hear it for some of my lesser known, unsung, hapless or villainous characters.
First up:Thrillseeker / Anne-Marie Hewitt
- While her past is on the wrong side of the law, as a cat-burglar, since falling in love with the superheroine "Scarlet Gravity" she has been doing her best to stay on the right side of the law.
- Her original power-set was going to be completely different, involving controlling light (which would come in useful for evading those pesky laser grids). But at the same time I was working on her, I was also drawing a picture of Lady Astra, who also controls light...so I had a hasty re-think. I found the new idea much more inspiring.
- Anne-Marie comes from Chicago...an actual place!!! Unlike the fictional Metro City, where everyone else is from.
- Anne-Marie's favourite band is Judas Priest. Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law
- To blow off steam, Anne-Marie's biggest hobby is free running, high up over the city.
- Anne-Marie loves some kinky dress-up and roleplay. She has a French whip-wielding villainess character called La Maîtresse, who she dresses as to kidnap Scarlet Gravity as a prelude to a night of passion.
- Erica Durance is my basis for the appearance of Anne-Marie.
- Thrillseeker's biggest curse? That waffled padding on her outfit is so damn time-consuming to draw that I really haven't drawn her as much as I should have. She didn't even wear the costume in her last two pictures.
Mighty-Man / Nick Stone
- Despite the fact that he always loses, Mighty-Man's healing power actually makes him the most unstoppable of all my characters. Very little, if anything, can actually kill him.
- It also means he won't age. In 50 years time, when Missy and Saucy are old ladies, Mighty-Man will still look to be in his mid-20's...and he may have even learned to fight by then. So watch out, Pounder!
- Nick Stone was actually the name of my first ever superhero character, Stinger, who I created when I was 10 (see further down for an exclusive glimpse)
- I'm hugely influenced by Spider-man, so Nick's occupation as a news photographer is either a homage, or a blatant rip-off, depending on how charitable you're feeling.
- As well as news photos, Nick enjoys taking more artsy b&W photos. He probably has a DeviantArt account (I'll be shocked if you can find it)
- His favourite movie is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- I actually came up with the double-M symbol before I came up with the name Mighty-Man.
- There seems to be a lot of fans of his crazy love triangle (as detailed in the picture above)...but there's more. Nick's cougar boss clearly has a thing for him too.
- Despite only appearing in one issue of Mighty-Man, British catburglar "Leather Larcen" caught the eye of RagingCyc0ne, who has included her in a few stories, and encouraged me to bring her back.
- Her leather catsuit is inspired by Emma Peel...obviously.
- She has worked with several other thieves, but the only one she really trusts and respects is fellow Brit Midnight Fox
- Although not even Midnight Fox knows her real name: Gillian St. Clair.
- In her case, diamonds certainly are a girl's best friend.
- She possesses a metagene, which gives her low level super powers. Enhanced agility and reflexes, and an early warning danger sense.
- Since I already had a blonde with brown eyes (Ms. Amazing) and a blonde with blue eyes (Pounder), I decided to give leather Larcen green eyes.
- You've not seen the last of her!
- As first revealed in her super OC interview, Pounder's real name is Lauren Metcalf.
- I originally made her up when I was only 10 years old. Even at that age, I had a weird interest in strong women beating up guys, and she was my outlet.
- Yes, Pounder and Sorceress' costumes are very similar, but Pounder's came first. So take that, Saucy!
- The idea that Pounder is smitten with Mighty-Man is only a very recent thing. She'd already faced him twice, so if I was bringing her back a third time, I needed a fresh angle. It just instantly fitted...and people some to love it. Now I can't even imagine it without the stalkery love angle.
- Pounder is unaware that she is responsible for the accident that gave Mighty-Man his powers. Just imagine if she ever found out!
- Pounder is a big fan of Southern rock, like Allman Brothers, Molly Hatchet, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blackfoot. Don't interrupt her when she's rocking out to that tasty guitar work!
- Above all, Pounder just loves to wreck stuff.... and superheroes.
- As long promised, here's an exclusive look at the very first Pounder drawing, from the cover of Stinger #4, drawn some time in the mid 90's: