Captain Cammondo is set in 2026. That's less than 1 decade out. The last time we had a game set in a World Warrior Tournament, we were in the year 1999. Should the next Street Fighter be set in a World Warrior Tournament following the events of SFIII: 3rd Strike? And should the timeline rely on events in the calendar? Or just how long it's been in universe since a prior event. If we go with the latter, Captain Commando will be 40 years after the original SF. Otherwise you have the next game coinciding with 1995 Capcom's sidescrolling Scifi tribute set in a colorful future Metro City.
If in fact this tournament coincides with the events of Captain Commando, AND after the 3rd World Warrior Tournament, should there be 2 story modes? One featuring the completed tournament, ending on the attack that sets CC in motion, followed by the resulting conflict and various efforts to stop it? Or should the Battle for the future of Metro City just be the backdrop for the story mode?
And the remaining question is... the roster. Mike Haggar appears in the background of Street Fighter and Captain Commando. But he is playable in Final FIght and Muscle Bomber. And as of Street Fighter V, THe Striders and Rival Schools are CONFIRMED part of that world. We saw Hiryu, Batsu and Akira from those games in Capcom Fighting All-Stars. ANd since Rival Schools' roster is filled with fighters the age of a now-grown Sakura, there's a lot of room to see where a LOT of fighters have grown and improved since we last saw them. And since the destruction of Shadaloo, most of the frequently used characters have more cause to retire than do anything else. Dhalsim and Guile have retired, Cammy is MIA, Chun Li and Juri have had their vengeance, etc. Meanwhile Alex, Urien, Dudley, Ibuki and others have fulfilled their respective agendas. So while there will obviously be some new challengers, the remaining question is who to bring back. Now how to decide?
If we are setting this in Metro City, than there will be scenes between matches that have a LOT of room for returning characters from Metro City titles. So, maybe half the roster should be from any of the following: Final Fight; Mighty Final Fight; Final Fight Tough; Capcom Fighting All Stars; Final Fight Seven Sons; and Captain Commando. The other half being native to the Street Fighter Series, Muscle Bomber, Rival Schools, and anything therein that I forgot. And yes, unused character designs and build-a-fighters should be incorporated. But if we do this, how do we prioritize who to toss into the proverbial pot?
Well, from highest to lowest priority:
1) Is your journey not yet over? As of your last appearance, have you not yet found what you are searching for?
2) How many appearances have you made in Metro City overall? Each game there counts for one, and each game where Metro City is a stage counts for one.
3) What connections (and how many) you have to someone from Metro City, and likewise regarding the Streetfighter Series.
4) Are you the head of an Organization originating within the Street Fighter Shared Universe?
5) In your first appearance, did you have the highest stat of some kind? (Highest Speed, Attak, AGility, etc.)
6) Were you a boss of any kind?
7) Not counting Card Fighters Clash, how scarcely were you playable? (this is a "low cards win" arrangement. If you were Left on the cutting room floor, that counts for more than being exclusive to a unreleased game, which counts for more than being an unplayable opponent, which counts for more than being playable once in an arcade exclusive, etc.)
8) Are there any ship teases, shared themes, or the like between you and another character you haven't been playable with? For example, maybe there's a character who was derived from your one appearance.
9) Are you a part of an organization you do not lead?
10) Are you a background character in a playable character's story? Dhalsim has a Student, Mika has a tag partner, Hugo has a family of Strongmen, and Chun Li has a LOT of disciples.
11) Are you currently alive in your series' canon? Because I'm not treating Section 8 Final Fight (Revenge, Streetwise) as canon. If we want Zombies, we can have Biohazard Guest Fighter DLC.
So please post your thoughts on the story premise and the roster in the replies, and your own roster wishlist.