ShopUpgrade to CoreGet Core
Featured in Groups
The Hollow Races.
The eight (known) playable races in my mock survival game, The Hollow. It's a personal project I started a while ago, but haven't really updated much about outside of the races. This is the first time I've really tried making a world from the ground up, from races to civilization to cultures, and it's been a hellllll of a lot of fun.
Each race is loosely based on the concept of a classic Hollywood monster or villain. From top to bottom, left to right..
- Zombies are the most populace race, as well as the most brash and reckless. Having such a short "life"span tends to make you rather callous about your own well-being. As a result, Zombies enjoy making the most of the time they have. Yes. They are a race of YOLO-zombies. And that's every bit as horrible as it sounds.
- Ghosts are well accustomed to life in the shadows, as shadow is what makes up most of their form. Their unique condition in corporeal limbo allows them to be masterful sneaks, thieves and assassins, though this inherent expertise is undercut by a sense of flighty mischief that seems to characterize their kind.
- Mads view life and everything therein as an experiment waiting to happen. They are an inquisitive, curious, and blissfully unfettered by any sense of moral guilt. Extending their lifespan by any means necessary in order to further their terrible tests, the Mads could hardly be considered 'human' anymore. (Incidentally neither Mads or humankind have a problem with this.)
- Vampire culture is a finely stitched tapestry of impassioned melodrama, the result of their frequent tendency towards boredom. Being the oldest of the Hollow races, they believe they've seen everything life and unlife alike have to offer, and are always on the lookout for new forms of entertainment.
- The Mummies are said to descend from the Primeval, a high court of ancient spirits responsible for the creation of the Afterlife itself. Each and every mummy, freshly arisen, is groomed to become a vessel for these spirits. They dedicate their existence to the study and cultivation of their arcane prowess, which they believe is the only path to attunement with the Primeval. As you might imagine with a culture that believes they are the sole intended for ultimate enlightenment, the Mummies are more than just a little stuffy.
- The youngest race of the Hollow, Frankens were brought into existence by a sect of intrepid Mads, who sought a solution for their waning defense ranks as well as a way to clean up the excess body parts cluttering up the realm, due to heavy military losses, spare parts brought home from the raids on human lands, and impolite Zombies who refuse to clean up after themselves. Despite their servile nature, Frankens are remarkably intelligent, with a thirst for knowledge second only to the Mads that brought them life.
- Not much is known about Lagunites, other than they are a diminutive, aquatic race of swampy fish things with a penchant for shiny baubles. Though the other Hollow have a loose sense of unity in the face of mankind, the Lagunite stands alone as an equal-opportunity treasure hoarder. Once a Lagunite has decided something belongs in its lair, whether that be junk, an artifact, or even a person, well.. nothing stands in their way. Nothing that isn't prepared to have a limb chewed off at the joint, anyway.
- Hailing from the mountainous region of the Hollow, Weres, by and large, prefer to keep to their own packs, as most of the other Hollow races have little tolerance for their infamous unpredictability. Despite a relatively low occurrence of madness amongst the Weres (typically from untrained youths or those who split from their Pack and go rogue), the few times it did occur were notorious enough to taint the general populace’s view of them.
..And that's all! Hope you guys like them. :] I'm curious, which do you think you'd play as, given the option?
EDIT: Yes there absolutely are other-gender options for each race! (Female zombies, male mummies, etc.) I love character customization in games, so that's a must! Maybe I'll do a sheet of all of them sometime in the future. :]
1029x2498px 1.89 MB
© 2013 - 2023 Endling
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In