More experimenting with broad diagonals. Certain technical issues arise when the bands are broader. "Zebra" is roughly 1.5 inches wide and "diamonds" is 1.75 inches wide, and both puckered slightly--it's almost as if the design is lightly embossed in some parts of the straps. Weaving "diamonds" also reminded me of the importance of using the right tools as at the start I only used my hands and a beater to pack the weft in but the results was uneven (not shown). Using the shuttle to pack the weft in more tightly gave a much cleaner and better looking strap.
Apologies for the quality of the picture; this is a scan of the straps as the camera I've used in the past is having some technical issues of its own.