1. Oh, full with roses and flowers is your face, o beauty of spring!
With the sun of your blush you illuminate the World of Beauty.
2. Because of your beauty the Garden of Perfection is full of purity and peace.
With the brilliance of your beauty you bring the joy to the beauty of spring.
3. The young tree of your body is the tallest cypress of beauty.
Your tall figure surpasses the work of beauty.
4. Turn my heart into a ruin, о builder of my suffering!
One day there will be no more art of these ruins and the results of beauty.
5. The sultan of beauty is your face, and the gatekeeper is your eyebrow,
The executioner is your eyes, and the blackness of your curls - like a guardian of the beauty’s gates.
6. The zealot cannot quit hypocrisy in love, look!
Thank God, Avni is not ashamed to get pleasure from the beauty.
©Elveo. I have translated Mehmed’s poem no. 57 literally from ottoman Turkish text:
1. Ey pür-gül ü şükûfe yüzüñle behâr-ı hüsn
Mihr-i rûhuñle rûşen olur rûzgâr-ı hüsn
2. Bâğ-ı cemâl hüsnüñ ile pür-safâdurur
Şâd-âbdur cemâlüñ ile nev behâr-ı hüsn
3. Nahl-i kadüñ ki serv-i ser-efrâz-ı hüsndür
Oldı bülend kadd-i bülendüñle kâr-ı hüsn
4. Yap göñlümüñ harâbesin ey bânî-i cefâ
Bir gün ola harâba vara kâr [u] bâr-ı hüsn
5. Sultân-ı hüsn yüzüñ ü hâcibdürür kaşuñ
Cellâd çeşm ü zülf-i siyeh perde-dâr-ı hüsn
6. ‘Işk-ı riyâyı terk idemez zâhidi görüñ
Şükr-i Hudâ ki 'Avnî degül şerm sâr-ı hüsn
Main collection of Mehmed the Conqueror’s poems are in manuscript “Divan-ı Avni” and the Latin text can be found in “Dîvân-i Sultân Muhammed” by M. Nur Dogan.
Oh my! The poem is absolutely gorgeous. Shows how much in love Mehmed was with Radu and how his heart was captured by his beauty. Infinitely beautiful poetry.. Thanks for translating. By the way, I read that you are Russian in another comment. But you can translate and write ancient persian and islamic languages? It's amazing how much you have studied. Kudos to you.
Thank you for the feedback! I think they were definitely lovers.
I'm from Russia but not Slavic by nationality, I'm Tatar which is a Turkic nation, before 1917 tatars had arabic script and they are sunni muslims. And yeah I learned Persian language (mainly Dari), a bit classic Arabic because I want to read poetry in original.
Radu looks childish pure and unimpassioned as an angel. In the same time his face reflects his unbending spirit. His portrait seems to me classically realistic: as real, but above the reality. His heavenly beauty is enhanced by his red brocade garment.
I thank Mehmed, that he permits us to delight of Radu's incomparable beauty.
I begin to perceive Radu dearer and dearer to me, thanks to your art!
His name is masculine but he was beautiful, that is why he got nickname "frumos" and Greek historian called him "eron" - which means "beautiful" but in a seducing way and by greeks was usually used towards women.
Moreover he was loved by Turkish Sultan who liked androgynous looking young men whom he praised in his poetry.