Earthsong9405's avatar

LoZ: GERUDO GERUDO GERUDO

2K Favourites
187 Comments
29K Views
I had an influx of questions regarding my headcanon on Gerudo over on my tumblr, one of which being what a Gerudo could look like depending on their parentage. So I did this! A whole bunch of Gerudo ladies showing off the common physical traits they have based on their parentage. This makes a whole lot more sense if you know the headcanon behind it though, so I'll use this opportunity to go into depth. Here we go! (PS: take a shot for every time you see the word "gerudo". ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )

----------------------

-The Gerudo are a nearly all-female race of tall, strong, almost amazonian like women. Men do occur in their race but they are so vastly outnumbered by women in ratio that they barely make up 2% of their population. That said, they are more common in my headcanon than they are in the canon games, and the whole "one male every 100 years" thing doesn't occur. The whole "king of the Gerudo" thing doesn't occur either: their culture revolves around the leadership of a chief, a rank that is earned either through birthright or defeating the current chief in a fight for the title.

-Gerudo have the ability to reproduce with any sapient race in Hyrule, however it's only the women who ever produce Gerudo children. Men, unless they have kids with a Gerudo woman, will not produce Gerudo children and the kids they father will always be the race of the mother.

-Gerudo women have developed in a way that allows them to mate and have children with any race of any gender. What allows them to do so is a unique method of parthenogenesis: It doesn’t require sex to be successful but it does require a partner. The rough translation of the event in the common tongue is “Unity”, so outside of the Gerudo language it’s often called “the union”. I’m operating under the belief that every race of Hyrule, regardless of their actual magic prowess, have magic naturally (and deeply) ingrained in their very beings, their aura if you will. When participating in The Union, the Gerudo will meld their aura with their partner’s, in which “2 become 1″ for a brief moment of time. When the process is over, the essence the union creates is what is used as a framework for the Gerudo to induce a pregnancy in themselves.

I’d imagine the process is considered highly intimate and delicate in nature, thus it is practiced with the utmost of privacy so the pair isn’t disturbed. If the Union is jarringly interrupted prematurely it could prove to be traumatic to both parties. If you know Mass Effect, you can liken them to the Asari in this aspect.

-Despite the resulting child always being a Gerudo, if that child has a non-Gerudo parent they tend to pick up traits of that race to a degree. The above chart details this.

-Rule of thumb 1: Gerudo men are almost always half-blood.

Rule of thumb 2: The chances of having a daughter among the Gerudo vastly outweighs the chances of having a son.

It’s why Gerudo men aren’t as common: a Gerudo, regardless of their gender, is more likely to have a daughter than they are a son. To break it down to more simple terms, it roughly works like this:

-Gerudo woman + Gerudo man = Gerudo daughter (like 98% of the time. it’s really rare for a Gerudo pair to have a son)

-Gerudo woman + Gerudo woman = Gerudo daughter 100%

-Gerudo woman + non-Gerudo woman = Gerudo daughter 100%

-Gerudo woman + non-Gerudo man = 65% chance at having a Gerudo daughter vs 35% chance of having a son

-Gerudo man + non-gerudo woman = 50/50 chance of having a daughter or son, but they won’t be Gerudo


----------------------

I had a whole loads of fun with this headcanon, especially getting to draw the variations; of the ones up there my favorite is probably the Zora/Gerudo one. Which is yours? O:

But anyway, I hope ya'll like the headcanon and the art! <:



More Nintendo stuff:
The Link Fam by Earthsong9405  LoZ: Urbosa headcanon by Earthsong9405   LoZ: Fairies by Earthsong9405  Golly, what sharp teeth you have by Earthsong9405



IMAGE DETAILS
Image size
7800x8518px 6.48 MB
Published:
© 2019 - 2020 Earthsong9405
Comments187
anonymous's avatar
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Bluegirl123456's avatar
Bluegirl123456Student Digital Artist
Some of the gerudo I've met in Breath of the Wild have Hylian lovers
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer

Okay?

MermaidNinja's avatar
Gerudo don't have tusks.
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
Actually Ganondorf DID have tusks in Twilight Princess. But, regardless, it's headcanon.
SomeAveragePerson2's avatar
Do the Gerudo/Rito mix have a yellow tint to their skin? Or am I just color blind?
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
yes.
TheCopyUniverseTCU's avatar
Question, only sorta related to this pic: Do you think that there are female Goron? If you do, where do you think they are, and if not, how do you think Goron make more Goron?
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer

Goron sex and gender is pretty unique in comparison to the other races in Hyrule. There are no distinct defining traits in them that could be labeled the traditional “male” and “female”; every Goron has the capacity to either lay eggs or sire the eggs, and gender as a whole is either a non-concern for them or they use pronouns that are entirely different from what would be common among, say, the Gerudo or Hylians.

Gorons being thought an all male race was a misunderstanding between the cultures due to olden times: Gorons originally thought “He/Him” was a gender neutral term upon first contact with the other races and used it to describe themselves before they fully understood what it meant. Gorons as a culture do accept common genders (she/her, he/him, they/them) since many of their own gender pronouns aren’t defined in the languages of the other races, with “they/them” being the most preferred.

Being reptilian, the Gorons are an egg-laying race and can lay a clutch of up to four eggs, though two is the most common number seen. Their eggs are hard-shelled, almost rock-like, the shell so protective the parents often don’t worry about their eggs being crushed or damaged. In about a year and a half, the eggs will hatch, with the babies fully developed enough to begin walking and running within the first few days after their birth. While their scales aren’t nearly as hard as an adult’s they are still immune to lava and extreme heat, and they are still more durable than what’s typical of a child, and so they aren’t born completely helpless.

I’d like to think the Gorons, since their babus are born already walking and running mere days from hatching, would be completely in awe of a baby from the other races, who are born entirely helpless and soft in comparison. o3o

TheCopyUniverseTCU's avatar
Thank you for your insight and theories. I like them a lot, and they help fill in gaps that official canon has yet to manage.
Azcalos's avatar

"Can and Will steal your Waifu."

My dear, I don´t doubt that you are an excellent Thief, but can you steal yourself? ;)


I like them, although I would be scared to get kissed by a Zora-Gerudo. These Theeths...

Blitzblotch's avatar
BlitzblotchHobbyist Digital Artist
If I got to pick a  gerudo/ twli or gerudo/zora mix. Considering I have curly hair and vitiligo already, the zora sounds like something i might match more. However I love all the glowy markings, they are so pretty. You would have you're own night light. 
H311LORD's avatar
I do like the idea of the whole hybrid thing but a couple questions

why do they have tusks? and so they're fantasy asari in this case?  Seems odd but more interesting.

what about gerudo x sheikah?
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
-They are associated with boars and I thought it'd be cool if they can transform into big monsterish boars, and the tusks are one of the additional characteristics of it. I also like the look.

-They can be likened to Asari, but unlike asari there are males in their species, just not many of them

-Sheikah are Hylians, just a specific clan of them. They fall under the Gerudo/Hylian hybrid category
H311LORD's avatar
ah i see  cool and i figured they where another race with the red eyes platinum/white hair an the sort of yellow looking complexion. but eh sure makes sense also how would they get contact with the twili?.... i mean that is a whole other dimension basically. 
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
LoZ: Twili and Twilight Realm headcanon by Earthsong9405
Has all you need to know about the Twili and how they're connected with the light realm.
Roselite's avatar
RoseliteHobbyist General Artist
Any thoughts on Ruto x Zora crossbreeds?
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
I just reread and you mean a mix of the two didn't you? Sorry about that. But I'm afraid a Rito/Zora wouldn't exist. Only Gerudo can reproduce with any other race and that trait is exclusive to them.
Roselite's avatar
RoseliteHobbyist General Artist
I did, my mistake. I just figured I would ask ^.^
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
Ruto is a zora. If you mean Rito then that's already up there.
Rickthehedgewolf's avatar
wait isnt ganon supposed to be the only male gerudo? so wouldnt that mean only his children can be pure bloods
Earthsong9405's avatar
Earthsong9405Professional Filmographer
Read the description
Rickthehedgewolf's avatar
Oh i see....Wait the Races of Hyrule follow the Pokemon logic of being the race  of the mother?
ARTgazer12's avatar
ARTgazer12Hobbyist General Artist
I LOVE THESE SO MUCH!
anonymous's avatar
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In