The magic system works like a horoscope, each month carrying the magical properties of an element, and the time of day effecting the way it manifests in the person.
Everyone in the world is born with magic affiliations, often finding their calling in a sub-element. Only those who dedicate their lives to magic study can unlock the power to access multiple sub-elements. However, it is impossible for internal magic users to perform external magic, and vice versa. Otherwise, magic prowess depends on the amount of study and practice put in by the individual.
The different ways of "casting" magic (transformations, enchantments, etc) also take years of study, and usually learning a single application can be a lifetime of dedication. Certain magic applications often bleed directly into crafts occupations across the world.
- Internal metal user who applies through enchantments: can specialize in a gold sub-element and create enchanted jewelry. By touching and interacting with the gold, this magic user can infuse it with their influence, perhaps through something like a personal crest or brand. These gold rings or necklaces can hold magic and enhance the resonance of the wearer's own magic.
This example can also apply to other materials, like gems, metal for armor, wood for wands, herbs for potions, etc etc. (yes, crafted items with infused magic can also be ingested, depending on the make)
- External water user who applies through an area of effect: can specialize in snow and cause a snowstorm around them. It would only be a certain radius, the size depending on their capabilities or energy levels.
This example can also apply to other elements, like an earth user who causes quakes, a fire user who specializes in magma and causes volcanic eruptions, etc
The descriptions under each element are different “cycles” that occur throughout the year:
1) the outermost cycle is the cycle of life,
2) the middle circle is the cycle of agriculture, and
3) the innermost circle is education
If you have any questions or think of any of your own examples, please feel free to ask in the comments below! This is a universe that I am slowly working on with Ai-Bee and TheFlamingZebra, but please feel free to suggest and get involved! I want this to become an open world eventually for people to make their own characters in
More of this world can be found here
Hi! So sorry for the late reply, I lose track of things on here so easily ack!
The ability you've suggested could be either! Basically think about how it's cast-- if the user needs to hold it to set it alight, or can they just make it burst into flames from a distance?
I know this may be a stretch to ask but would you mind if I used the symbols for the elements as alternative runes for my Pottermore Wand designs? The main reason I ask is well I do intend to sell my wands, I'm sure for a fact that while you said you want this to be "Open" you didn't mean Public Domain. I would be willing to give you a percent of any wand's sale when it is sold or some other system and I would draw up a contract and have it Notarized so it is binding.
If you wish to continue discussing this further tell me and I will contact you through notes and or Email your pick. Sorry to bother you but I think these would make interesting runes and all and I rather use pure fictional Runes where I can.
Thank you I like how you tie the things together here.