|DEADLINE FOR EARNING ACCOMPLISHMENT POINTS.|
|DEADLINE FOR EARNING ACCOMPLISHMENT POINTS.|
*STEP 1: SUBMIT A CHARACTER
When you join the Deviant Universe, start by submitting one character (Hero or Villain). You can locate the templates in the Template section under the Gallery Folders. With that, a 2-3 page comic intro will be needed as well for submission. This intro will give members a chance to see your art style, and let them know who your character is and what their motivation might be in the DU.
Once you are approved and begin creating comic pages either through a monthly challenge or an Anthology series, you will then be able to add another Hero or Villain character of your choice when they show up in your comic.
Here are the guidelines and what needs to be filled out on the template:
1) A character image (illustrated by the creator) on the left side of the page (a standing pose from head to toe). The background template needs to remain the same, and make sure your character does not go outside the rectangular box area.
2) Information about your character (such as Name, History, Powers/Skills) needs to be displayed on the right side of the page. Please provide a short paragraph or two in the History and Powers sections. If you have more info than what can fit in this section, then provide the most important info on the template, and supply the rest in the description section of your deviation.
3) Your name or user profile under "Created by:"
4) Title of your uploaded page should say "Deviant Universe - (Name of Character)"
5) If you are a NEW member, provide your illustrated short intro comic (2-3 pages in color) of your character (either entering the DU, preparing for what is in store for them in the DU, etc.) and link the pages to your description section of your template. This is only needed for your first character into the DU.
6) You can only include up to 20 characters, so choose wisely. Once a character is in the DU, you cannot remove the character unless they have ceased to exist in a monthly challenge entry or side comic (meaning death, transported through a portal, or any other creative means), or during the Genocide Wave in September.
7) Note me at mja42x when you are ready to add your character.
*STEP 2: PARTICIPATE IN MONTHLY CHALLENGES
At certain times during the year, there will be a specific art challenge that will test your skills as artists and provide creative illustrations of our DU characters. The challenges will range from fan art, to art jams, to crossovers, contests and more. While the challenges are not mandatory, I encourage everyone who is a DU member and who has an OC entry in the DU to take part. The challenges can only be done by users who have a Deviant Universe character entry. The entries will be displayed in the associated Deviant Universe gallery folder for all to see. Make sure to follow the guidelines and have fun!
1) All entries must be illustrated by the creator of the character that was submitted to the group.
2) All entries must be in color and fully completed (no pencil roughs or black and white images).
3) Only characters that are in the DU Hero and Villain folders can be used in the monthly challenges.
4) All characters must be an original creation and not associated with any copyrighted material.
5) No nudity or sexual conduct is allowed.
6) Once a deadline has passed, entries are no longer allowed in the gallery.
*STEP 3: DU GALLERY FOLDERS
DU FAN ART - This is a folder where members can share images that do not pertain to a specific challenge. Fan Art contains characters in the DU that you have illustrated (other than your own), or team-up images of your character with other characters in the DU. No Accomplishment Points are awarded for Fan Art.
TALES OF THE DU - This folder is for members that want to share various short stories (15 pages or less) of their DU characters that do not pertain to a specific challenge or Anthology. These short stories can be personal tales of your DU character(s) or tales of other DU members' characters (with approval). Members receive a folder with their username in the Tales of the DU folder. Cover Images are not needed. Members will be able to add one page a day to the gallery.
DEVIANT UNIVERSE ANTHOLOGY - This gallery is story driven and will focus on a particular character, team, or event. You can take part on your own and add a folder that showcases your original characters, or add a folder of a major ongoing story line that you and a few others want to collaborate on.
OPTION 1 - SOLO ANTHOLOGY - For members that want to create a comic that focuses on their own DU characters. The creator will write and illustrate an ongoing story line or a collection of short stories using their OC's. Cameos from other DU members are allowed with their permission, but the focus will be on the writer/artist's original OC's. The member that chooses a Solo Comic Anthology must be the sole writer and artist. Pages can be added to the folder once a day and will count toward Accomplishment Points.
OPTION 2 - COLLABORATIVE ANTHOLOGY - For members that want to create a comic with another DU member that focuses on their combined DU characters. This is for two or three members that want to write and illustrate a team-up story using their OC's. The members that choose this option will alternate writing and art responsibilities. Pages can be added to the folder once a day and will count toward Accomplishment Points.
OPTION 3 - EVENT ANTHOLOGY - For members that want to create a comic with multiple DU members that focuses on their combined DU characters in a large scale crossover style event. This is for four or more members that want to write and illustrate an event type story line using their OC's. The members that choose this option will alternate writing and art responsibilities. Pages can be added to the folder once a day and will count toward Accomplishment Points.
Here are the Guidelines for the DU Anthology Gallery:
1) Illustrate a cover image when you are ready to start your Anthology story idea. The cover image should be of the character or team that you will be focusing on, as well as the title logo labeled somewhere on the cover. Cover image should be vertical and not horizontal.
2) Keep in mind that you can only have 3 folders in the anthology (Solo, Collaborative, Event), so choose a story or collection of short stories that you will add pages to until completed. To keep things fresh, the DU Anthology gallery will be for new stories, not stories that have already been posted previously.
3) Note me with your Anthology idea and cover for approval.
4) Once you post your cover and first page of your Anthology story, I will then create a folder for your series.
5) After that, you will be able to add one page a day to your Anthology folder.
6) Characters that appear in the DU Anthology need to have a DU Profile. However, support characters with small roles are allowed without a DU profile.
7) Members will earn Accomplishment Points with each page posted to the gallery.
8) The creator must be the sole artist on the story of a specific folder, unless you create a collaborative story among others in the group, then each participating member will illustrate.
*STEP 4: EARNING ACCOMPLISHMENT POINTS
Accomplishments are recognition points based on the completion of monthly DU challenges and Anthology story pages (fan art, side stories or other extras do not count). Each deviation (one story-page, one single-image) equals one point. This is a good way for artists to earn points for their dedication and hard work while working through the Monthly Challenges/Anthology Series and honing their art skills. Accomplishments will be updated each month and show creators how many DU art challenges have been "accomplished." Where do you stack?
*STEP 5: REMOVAL FROM DU GROUP
If you leave the Deviant Universe and decide to no longer be a member, all of your characters will be removed from the DU Gallery, and all your Accomplishment points will be gone as well.
If you submit little to no entries or remain inactive for a year, then your character(s) will be removed from the DU Gallery, and you will lose all your Accomplishments. Inactivity means that you were not able to provide more than 10 points in one year (you can check your points status under Accomplishment Points on the main DU page). This is done once a year on January 1st.
You may return to the Deviant Universe group after three months of removal (unless kicked out), but you will need to add your templates again and start your Accomplishment points at 0. You will also need to create a short comic (about 2-3 pages) that shows your character reappearing in the DU and a focus on why they are back. You'll need to make sure that the submission is in color and in comic book format.
*The DU is a place for artists of all abilities and that the monthly challenges are just that--challenges. Be aware that if someone stumbles and falls, harsh criticism or creating a hostile environment with abusive conduct will not be permitted. This goes towards any type of DU section, such as Monthly Challenges, Side Comics, Anthology Stories, Fan Art, and even the DU Discord channel. The Deviant Universe is intended to be a collaborative group where all members support each other by creating an atmosphere that encourages artistic growth and exploration. Failure to do so could result in removal from the DU Group. Be Positive, Support, and Encourage.
*UPDATE - With last month's Challenge coming to a close, the Accomplishments have been updated. Great job to everyone who participated! Points are awarded based on how many completed pages were entered for each specific challenge.
MEMBER/NAME - # POINTS
|More Journal Entries|
Revenge by Gaston25 (Renewed for 2021)
Spitfire by EchoXrime (Renewed for 2021)
Alliance of Super Girls by Urvy1A (Renewed for 2021)
Invinci-Girl by Ignolia-Thorne (Renewed for 2021)
Eleventy by Speedslide (Renewed for 2021)
Tales from the Grove by Tmaneea (Renewed for 2021)
Lucy in Toonland by WynautWarrior (New for 2021)
Goldstar by ViktorMatiesen (New for 2021)
Flame Thrower by ShastaB24 (New for 2021)
Northern Lights Academy by Bug-Off (Pending)
Dumping Tales by Node-Gamer (Pending)
Mission Files by mja42x & bogmonster (Renewed for 2021)
The Tenacious Vegabond King by Bug-Off & ViktorMatiesen (Renewed for 2021)
Dragon Tales by BjAtkinson & RareFlaw (Renewed for 2021)
Jessie's Team Up Tales by Urvy1A & Bioghost1000 (New for 2021)
Beerdigungkranz by KnightSlayer115 & insane-ukulele (Pending)
Dangerous Skies by WynautWarrior (Removed)
Adventures in Space by bogmonster (Removed)
Hybrid Dragon by RareFlaw (Removed)