Hey there. I got bored. Have fun reading this.
1. Tell us about your favorite writing project/universe that you've worked with and why.
I may be biased with my answer since I've started working with the characters in my W.I.P. back in 2011. This universe is my favorite because of the time I have spent developing, changing, and expanding it. The characters have some unique personalities, and I've grown quite attached to them (even those I kill off).
My other projects have seen far less development and have been around only the last two years at most.
2. How many characters do you have? Do you prefer males or females?
I have a handful. Over my three of four projects, I have around 12 main characters, and I have around 13 defined characters that are a part of those projects.
I find that I have many male characters, but the female characters I have are extremely unique and hold a place in my heart. As much as I love them, I do have to say I have no preference between male and female characters; they all have the potential to be great. (Also can't forget my non-binary characters, who are equally important!)
3. How do you come up with names, for characters (and for places if you're writing about fictional places)?
For characters, I choose names I've heard before and liked, names that have been ruined for me, and arrangements of syllables that come to my mind that sound decent when spoken. (For the names that have been ruined for me, I "repurpose" them to be associated with something good rather than something bad.)
For fictional places, I can't come up with names for those to save my life. I can't even come up with a working title for my W.I.P.
4. Tell us about one of your first stories/characters!
To summarize, my W.I.P. is about a girl hiding her identity, gaining training as a hunter (title is a work in progress, too), there are a could of people she has to work with while getting this training. Couple characters die, blah blah blah, Jaden has insomnia, blah blah blah, DJ has a crippling sense of self worth, Dustin is a nerd, and Sebastian is douche bag of the year.
5. By age, who is your youngest character? Oldest? How about "youngest"?
I'm going to stick with the W.I.P. as my examples since those are the characters I know best.
By age, Jaden is the youngest, and Sebastian is the oldest. My mentality, Jaden is the oldest, and DJ, Dustin, and Sebastian tie for youngest.
6. Where are you most comfortable writing? At what time of day? Computer or good ol' pen and paper?
I enjoy writing both on the computer and by hand, but both are somewhat strenuous on my wrist. I also have a terrible habit of not writing anything down, so there's that.
7. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?
I listen to a lot of alternative music when I write. Both because I enjoy the music, and the songs are quite fitting for my characters and the tragic ends some of them face.
8. What's your favourite genre to write? To read?
I enjoy reading and writing fiction. I can't nail down a specific kind, but being able to drift off into something made up is nice.
9. How do you get ideas for your characters? Describe the process of creating them.
For characters, I go off of what I want to address, who would be the best type of person to address it, and from there go into "mind walking" as I call it to get inside of the character's mind to develop motive, ambitions, and behaviors. I get to what they look like after developing them mentally.
10. What are some really weird situations your characters have been in? Everything from serious canon scenes to meme questions counts!
So one of them has killed a man--many people, actually--and has been pressured into baiting criminals out, which that in itself is uncomfortable. They all almost die at one point or another...wait, I just realized Sebastian hasn't...that will change.
11. Who is your favourite character to write? Least favourite?
I love to write either Jaden or DJ. Jaden's interests mesh with mine, but DJ's mindset is the closest to my own. I dislike writing Sebastian since his character is the polar opposite from mine, so it's difficult.
12. In what story did you feel you did the best job of world building?
Again, biased toward the W.I.P. since I spent years working on it.
13. What's your favourite culture to write, fictional or not?
I don't actually have an answer to this one. Probably since it's my own, it'd be the American culture.
14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?
I never actually made a map...
Might be something for the future...
15. Mid way question! Tell us about a writer you admire, whether professional or not!
Jennifer Lynne Barnes.
16. Do you write romantic relationships? How do you do with those, and how "far" are you willing to go in your writing?
Yes. I base it heavily on research since I have no experience of my own to write off of. I say I make it a natural progression with reasons for why two characters would get together, reasons for why they would split apart, how they act prior, during, and after relationships, the level of comfort the two would feel, how they would handle differences in opinion, and most of all, if they are able to be in a relationship that they can both enjoy time together, trust each other, and help each other through thick and thin.
How far am I willing to go? As far as is naturally required. However, I suggest stuff that goes far rather than write it. Those sorts of things are not in my comfort zone to express in words.
17. Favourite protagonist and why!
Jaden! She's a complicated mess!
18. Favourite antagonist and why!
Technically, Sebastian would count since he sort of counters the main goal of Jaden. I haven't developed the antagonists further than a vague idea of what they are.
19. Favourite minor that decided to shove himself into the spotlight and why!
DJ! He's also a complicated mess that I love and adore! He was originally an antagonist in the first version of this story!
20. What are your favourite character interactions to write?
So...I'm biased with Jaden and DJ...for many reasons...
21. Do any of your characters have children? How well do you write them?
Nope, but it's planned that Jaden takes responsibility for one...for a stint in time
22. How long does it usually take you to complete an entire story—from planning to writing to posting (if you post your work)?
I've never completed a story. I spend an absurd amount thinking things through and developing to get what I'm expressing in the right words. Also, the whole "I don't write what's in my head down" business combined with an obsessive amount of revising.
23. How willing are you to kill your characters if the plot so demands it? What's the most interesting way you've killed someone?
You're asking someone who is debating killing off everyone. Most interesting way so far is a chest being torn apart, a heart being controlled to explode, and decapitation. Oh, and blood drainage.
24. Do any of your characters have pets? Tell us about them.
Nope. Well, Dice does, but she does not count for this.
25. Let's talk art! Do you draw your characters? Do others draw them? Pick one of your OCs and post your favourite picture of him!
I draw one of my story characters once every 300 days. Here's two that fulfill my quota for the next 500 some odd days:
26. Along similar lines, do appearances play a big role in your stories? Tell us about them, or if not, how you go about designing your characters.
Appearances don't play a huge role in my stories. Hence why I wait on looks until I developed them mentally; the looks aren't important, so it's easy to have a diverse cast that can be separated from stereotypes if I make up their appearance after development.
27. Have you ever written a character with physical or mental disabilities? Describe them, and if there's nothing major to speak of, tell us a few smaller ones.
Nothing major aside from depression and insomnia.