In my first journal for the year I would like to make a small recount of this crazy past year, even if only for my own benefit. It has been a huge year on dA and off, laden with a lot of successes and excitements.
I'd love to know what yours were as well.
- The highlight of my artistic "career" so far - I won Gwent's Card game contest with a popular vote and it has been hugely rewarding. Even six months later I still feel that tingle of excitement and that contented smile crawling on my lips.
- I finally got my job permit and I began working in Germany. It has been turbulent and stressful but also intensely satisfying. The challenge and difficulty of it gives me confidence I can do most anything I set my mind to. I am slowly learning how to balance art with work again.
- My grandma beat cancer. She was diagnosed last year with ovarial cancer and went through chemo. Her hair has started growing again.
- Not to mention the amazing dedications I have received:
A few unpleasant things happened, too, of course - I got hit by a bike, had a car accident, reached my lowest emotional point at the start of the year, received some hate about a journal I posted on dA and sprained my ankle. Pretty mild overall. I am alive and well and so is my family and I am grateful for that.
The dA marathon
- Before I started working I managed to turn myself into a powerhouse for features: 254 features
(170 of which for my group devfeatures
), 9 groups, 87 accepted DD suggestions
. I am so proud of all of them. The whole thing wouldn't have been possible without these wonderful people: Yuukon
- In turn I was featured in dozens of features, got awarded the Angels Without Wings award and won in one of dA's scavenger hunts.
- It has been quite a year and I thank you all for the experience so much!
The Art journey to be continued...
- Starting the year I announced a contest for my watchers where I painted their portraits. Something like this will come again next year but I'm not giving away details yet.
- There hasn't been much art from me after I started work. I have been stuck on my drawing of Mei for months now. But my idea list is growing constantly and I am thinking of using it as a basis for art challenges this year.
- And not least important I've managed to push out some writing, which is arguably not my specialty but has been turned into an outlet for creativity when painting hasn't been possible. In 2019 I am planning on posting a longer story, that I am currently working on (plus illustrations). Is writing a book too much of a challenge?
- I cannot help feeling excited about being written in Barosus
's story The Phibiemancer. Check it out, it's so awesome and colorful.
- Will continue the exchange book with my fiance where each writes a scene of 100-200 words and the other illustrates it. Would anyone want to see the scenes and try to draw them, too?
- My group activity will sadly need to take a back stage since I really want to focus on painting. But I will still post an insane amount of features. Brace yourselves!
Things I am thankful for
- My fiance
- People who helped me pull myself out of apathy and get my ass out of bed
- My dA experience
- The thousands of people who have supported my art
- Good food
Happy new year to all and may it be filled with inspiration, love and joyful surprises!