Curating art is an art in itself. While it takes talent, a keen eye, years of practice and determination to be a good artist, it also takes all of those elements and more for one to be a good curator of art. I decided I'd like to run a simple challenge that doesn't require you to make art, but rather requires you to put time and effort into putting together stellar collections of artwork here on DA.
A lot of time, thought and consideration can go into putting together a collection of favourites on DA. Your collections can help others discover artwork they might have never seen otherwise. Through the challenge I'm asking you to go out and really take the time to design outstanding collections of art you're eager for others to admire.
How does this challenge work?
Create a new collection of favourites on each of these themes. Yes, you must make a collection for every theme below, aka one collection folder per theme, aka 5 favourites folders total, all titled with the same name as each theme.
- Lost in a dream
- Darkness takes over
- Everyday life
- Patterns, shapes and shadows
- Soothing nature
your collections do not have to include all artistic mediums (but they can if you want).
Indeed, if you know nothing about photography, you might not feel comfortable including photography in your collections, for example. As such, your collections can be centered around a single art medium, or can include a variety of mediums, whichever you prefer, it is your choice.
Also, while you are free to interpret these themes as you wish, your collections will need to clearly be relevant to each theme
. If upon looking at your collections I have no idea how they are in any way linked to these themes, you will be disqualified.
The RulesPlease read these rules carefully as if you fail to follow a rule you will be disqualified!
- You must create five new favourites collections, titled after each five theme listed above. Each collection should include deviations (from any art medium) that are relevant to the themes listed above.
- The deviations included in said collections cannot be older than 2016.
- You must include a minimum of 30 deviations in each collection and a maximum of 40.
- You cannot include more than 1 deviation from one person in each collection (e.g if you include one of Artist XYZ's deviations, you cannot include any more than that in that folder.)
- Your collections can include artwork from any gallery on DA but the deviations must abide by DeviantArt's policies.
- Once you have completed all five collections, link them in a comment on this journal!
How are winners chosen?
Since it would be a bit complex to justify how I would pick 3 winners for this challenge, based on the quality of the collections or something along those lines, I decided winners would be selected at random. BUT, let's make this clear, you must follow all of the rules listed above to be eligible to be randomly drawn as a winner.
Your collections must clearly be in relation with the themes given, they cannot be random and clearly rushed/thoughtless collections.
The point here is for us to take the time
to go out and try to curate art on certain broad and not-so-broad themes, see what we discover, and go through that process of deciding what art we feel should be showcased in each of our collections.
Three winners will each receive : a 3 month core membership and 1,000
June 10th at 11h59PM Los Angeles time.