So I went and made another quiz though this one isn't for a commission set since at the moment I have absolutely no time to shoot can barely upload the pics I need to still get out (doesn't help that at the moment my computer is also running slow too) this quiz is all about marine life mostly sharks since that's what I plan to study once I finish with URI (4-6 long years and counting) the winner will receive the aquarium fundraiser set free and I'll throw in the $5. Test your Marine Biology knowledge and good luck to all
1. The bite of a great white is equal to a car hitting a wall at ?
A. 50 mph
B. 65 mph
C. 90 mphD. 100 mph
crushing down with a bite of over 1 million newtons the great white bites down with the same force generated with a car hitting a wall head on at 100
2. Sharks are intelligent fast learning animals ?A. True
Sharks are very fast learners in some experiments with hitting targets for food it took some reef sharks less then a hour to figure out that hitting the target got them a tasty treat in return
3. The most deadly sea creature to humans is ?
A. Great white sharkB. Box Jellyfish
although all these animals here are potentially deadly and should be given the respect earned its the box jellyfish that'll drop you dead in under 2 min from a powerful venom that targets the heart muscle
C. Sea Snake's
D. Blue ringed octopus
E. Humbolt squid
F. Orca (killer whales)
4. Octopus are one of the most intelligent animals in the ocean. The intelligence of the north pacific octopus is equivalent to a __ year old human ?
B. 3C. 5
Otis the mystic aquarium Octopus is often given the child toy that has the shapes with the board that they slide through sometimes just to test him we throw in shapes that don't fit 2 seconds later he's throwing them back at us like what the hell you pulling these wont fit
5. Some shark species have buddies they often spend almost their whole lives with ?A. True
believe it or not this is actually true white tip reef sharks will rest in small groups or pairs in the day then at night hunt together. this event happens with many different groups along the reef
6. This shark species is both feared and respected by both WW2 navy men and present day divers today has dropped in their 1990's population by 95% due to humans ?
A. Great white shark
B. Bull shark
C. Tiger shark
D. Great HammerheadE. Oceanic Whitetip
once the biggest shark species in the oceans, this is the first and potentially last shark you'll see if your in a ship wreck. Its responsible for most of the deaths in the U.S.S Indianapolis sinking at the end of WW2 and is not a shark to take your eyes off of when your diving today. Due to its open water habitat this shark has to take every advantage it has at a potential food source so its often seen as aggressive. Sadly due to Illegal shark finners (people I would immediately crucify) have killed off 95% of the species
7. the Sea Lions at Mystic aquarium are intelligent enough to be able to have learned and remember ___ different signs to do different things ?
A. 300B. 125
8. The odds of a shark attack are ?
A. 800,000:1B. 900,000:1
9. A Great White will always attack at the surface coming from below ?
A. TrueB. False
although they are known for the famous south Africa breach attacks Great whites often attack much deeper as much as 300 feet in fact coming from below but also blindsiding from the side as well
10. This shark responsible for a number of attacks in 1916 in New jersey inspired the JAWS book/movies ?A. Bull shark
Although the movie almost everyone has at least heard about featured a great white as the "villain" of the movie the species that actually inspired it was a bull shark responsible for several attacks and fatalities in 1916 in both the salt waters of the ocean and fresh water rivers and ponds
B. Great white shark
C. Hammerhead shark
D. Tiger shark
11. Known as the cheetah of the sea Mako's can reach speeds up to?
A. 60 mph
B. 56 mphC. 58 mph
reaching a top speed of 58mph there is little that can escape the hungry jaws of the Mako. Usually your only hope is to be a little bit faster then the fish next to you
D. 70 mph
12. When born a beluga whale is what color ? (fill in the blank on this one)
Grey this helps them to blend in more and protect them from predators like Orca as they mature they turn into the white color they are known for
1. When agitated a shark will sometimes give off signs before attacking name 2 of these signs ?
Open and close its jaws
distend (point down) their fins which are normally held out
In some species like the great white actually shake their head the same way we do when we say no (at this point you've really done something to agitate the shark and any more pushing will most likely end in attack)
2. Great whites have a few surprising pupping grounds located of the coast of the US, name 2 ?
Cape Cod MA
waters of NY
San Diego CA
3. When diving with sharks the way to get in the water is?
A. jump in from the boatB. slide in from the boat
there is only one safe way and that's making as little vibration as possible just like a spider sitting in her web sharks are attracted by vibration and will come in to investigate splashes. You could get away with doing A but I wouldn't recommend it on my own personal experience while in the Bahama's and DEFIANTLY DONT DO a cannon ball
C. do a cannon ball of the boat
4. while diving with great whites you notice 1 shark becoming inquisitive do you? (there are 2 potentially correct answers to this one while the others end up turning you into another statistic)
A. swim as fast as you can away from the shark
B. gently differ the shark pushing it on the top of the snout C. gently differ the shark pushing it on the bottom of the snout
why not touch the top well that's where all the sharks electroreceptors are touching that causes a sensory overload which causes the shark to open its mouth wide and tilt its head back problem there is those jaws are going to close and fast and take a guess where your arm is going to end up when it does
D. punch the shark as hard as you canE. freeze making as little motion as possible
sharks are attracted to movement the same way your pet dog is if you don't move much maybe you'll get lucky and the shark wont attack but trying to swim away or splashing in a panic is like catching your dogs eye turning and running both will chase you and in the end both are faster then you and if they want to will catch you