Body and Appearance
1. Describe the character's height and build. Is he heavyset, thin, short, rangy?
Mai was average, about 5'8", modest chest size (Around a B cup) and big ol hips with a ghetto butt that could rival Izzy's.
She recently had a baby, so she's plumped a bit- her hips and waist are softer and her breasts are a bit bigger since she's nursing.
2. How old is he?
She doesn't admit it, but she's 30. XD
3. Describe his posture. Does he carry himself well or does he slouch?
She tends to rest her weight on one leg- usually her right, cocking her hip to the left and her butt sticks out a bit. When she walks, her hips sway a great deal- a mixture of a slightly uneven gait, and self confidence- she knows she's got nice hips, and she swings em.
4. How is his health? Is he fit or out of shape? Any illnesses or conditions? Any physical disabilities?
Mai is actually healthy as a horse, save for an uneven gait- her right leg is SLIGHTLY shorter than the left, and she tends to favor that side.
5. How does he move? Is he clumsy, graceful, tense, fluid?
Normally, she moves confidently, and her stride almost has a predatory movement to it. It's obvious she hangs out with Izzy- when she WANTS to, she can make heads turn 180 degrees from the sway she puts in her hips.
6. How attractive is this character physically? How does he perceive himself in the mirror?
Mai is confident and is happy with her appearance, but she won't admit to being pretty or ugly.
She isn't a classic beauty- she has a long nose, large eyes that are oddly spaced, a high broad forehead, and a stubborn chin. Altogether, she's not unattractive, but when standing next to someone like Rikka or Shey, she's plain in comparison.
7. Describe his complexion. Dark, light, clear, scarred?
Mai was a spirit healer, so her complexion is very clear, and she's fair skinned. She does have a very large scar on the left side of her body from a burn, and she has tattoos on her back- made from refined lyrium (a drunken dare she actually took up.)
8. Describe his hair: color, texture, style.
It's thick, but sleek and slightly wavy, hanging just below her shoulder blades when it's loose. Normally, though, she keeps a good bit of it braided back and around her face.
The color is a very dark brown that has a reddish copper sheen in brighter lights.
9. What color are his eyes?
Aqua blue, with just a tint of green.
10. Does the character have any other noteworthy features?
Big ol hips and a huge ass.
11. What are his chief tension centers?
Physically, Mai cannot stand to have her forearms touched.
Psychologically, her tension centers- her triggers, when provoked, she tends to buckle in on herself. She is prone to either panicking or lashing out, depending on what it is that has provoked her.
12. What is the character's wardrobe like? Casual, dressy, utilitarian? Bright colors, pastels, neutrals? Is it varied, or does he have six of the same suit?
Before she came to "Tweetwall", Mai wore clothes that were as "un-mage-like" as possible- breeches, tunics and vests with boots. Her Champion armor was her favorite, the armor done in all black and red leather and chain mail.
Now, she wears robes that Shey designed for her, and they are dark- purple black and gold, are are slightly form fitting, flatter her hips and are highly comfortable.
13. Do his clothes fit well? Does he seem comfortable in them?
See above ^
14. Does he dress the same on the job as he does in his free time? If not, what are the differences?
15. You knew it was coming: Boxers, briefs or commando?
Smalls, but if she's been missing her husband, she goes commando as a surprise for him.
1. What does this character's voice sound like? High-pitched, deep, hoarse?
Mai has a throaty, medium pitched voice that's lilting and has the slightest purr to it when she gets flirty or angry.
2. How does he normally speak? Loud, soft, fast, evenly? Does he talk easily, or does he hesitate?
She speaks casually, but not to the point where she's leaving out vowels or consonants. If she has to speak formally, she's very precise. Her voice is loud when she's excited or happy.
3. Does the character have a distinct accent or dialect? Any individual quirks of pronunciation? Any, like, you know, verbal tics?
Typical Fereldan accent!
4. What language/s does he speak, and with how much fluency?
Ferelden, Arcanum, and she's learning Anderfels.
5. Does he switch languages or dialects in certain situations?
If she's being overtly sappy with her husband, needs to keep what she's saying private, or during sex, she switches to Arcanum.
6. Is he a good impromptu speaker, or does he have to think about his words?
Mai doesn't ever think about what she says. She just says it. Doesn't mean what she says is GOOD.
7. Is he eloquent or inarticulate? Under what circumstances might this change?
She's casually eloquent until she's flustered. Then she stammers- usually over words that start with hard consonants.
Mental and Emotional
1. How intelligent is this character? Is he book-smart or street-smart?
Mai's pretty damn smart, but she never uses it. She's too lazy.
2. Does he think on his feet, or does he need time to deliberate?
She thinks on her feet- sadly, thinking on her feet usually consists of "Set it on fire."
3. Describe the character's thought process. Is he more logical, or more intuitive? Idealistic or practical?
There usually isn't one. Mai's mind is spontaneous and random. She's idealistic and emotional, acting on her gut instinct and whatever her heart is telling her.
The only time her mind gives thought to an entire plan and what-have-you is when she's worrying about something.
4. What kind of education has the character had?
She was raised by her father who taught her to act on "That which is best in me, not which is most base" He taught her to control her magic and respect it.
About 2 years into being in Kirkwall, she met Orsino and the two of them studied almost everything together, the majority of which was force magic- and blood magic, though it was never talked about.
Mai met Faolan Surana, who taught her to shapeshift, and Invidia, a Pride Demon that she made a deal with (said demon was killed shortly afterward), taught her to change into a High Dragon.
5. What are his areas of expertise? What, if anything, is he interested in learning more about?
Now? Shapeshifting. Used to be fire and spirit healing, but circumstances have changed this.
6. Is he an introvert or an extrovert?
It depends on her mood. It really does.
7. Describe the character's temperament. Is he even-tempered or does he have mood swings? Cheerful or melancholy? Laid-back or driven?
Mai has mood swings. Like WHOA. She can be happy one moment, hyper and energetic, then depressed, lethargic and sluggish the next. She's bipolar, pretty much.
She's also clingy, possessive, defensive and a worry wart.
8. How does he respond to new people or situations? Is he suspicious, relaxed, timid, enthusiastic?
Mai....is a derp. She willingly will talk to demons and darkspawn (Denial and Taxspawn- she sodding LOVES Taxy) but she is careful around new people- but only for a little bit. Again, it depends on her up or down swing of mood.
9. Is he more likely to act, or to react?
10. Which is his default: fight or flight?
Fight- usually with fire or "Suddenly, DARGON."
11. Describe the character's sense of humor. Does he appreciate jokes? Puns? Gallows humor? Bathroom humor? Pranks?
Snark. Inappropriate humor. "Boneless women flopping about," anyone?
12. Does the character have any diagnosable mental disorders? If yes, how does he deal with them?
Bipolar disorder, most definitely.
13. What moments in this character's life have defined him as a person?
Leandra doted on her until the twins were born -about the same time her magic surfaced. Leandra started pushing her away and doted on Bethany and Carver. Over the years, Leandra blamed her for more and more, and she took great solace in her father. When Malcolm died, she only had Bethany to take comfort in, and even that was tough, as she had to shoulder the weight of caring for the family. Leandra blamed her for Bethany's death, for Carver joining the Templars, tried marrying her off to men she hated, and was openly racist towards Merrill, Fenris and Orsino. Mai has deep seated mother issues, that were made worse when Leandra was killed- despite her claims that her death freed her.
*The Chantry explosion the First
Things changed a great deal for Mai mentally when Anders revealed he had abused her trust. She spared him, because she loved him, but after Meredith was defeated, she told him to go his own way- the betrayal she felt left her incapable of loving him again. Orsino fled Kirkwall with her, but she was closed off to him for a long time, and their relationship didn't progress past close friends for almost two years.
*Coming to Tweetwall/Finding the Fade Doors
Coming to a new Kirkwall and immediately causing the death of your best friend- only, he wasn't- can fuck with a person. Seeing another version of Orsino die in front of her wracked her with guilt, and made her realize how much she cherished Orsino's company. Staying in Kirkwall to cover up what they did, she spent more time with him, and felt her heart open up again, and she and Orsino fell in love.
She used contraceptive herbs almost religiously, and considering the age gap, she didn't think it was going to happen, but fate was determined to give Mai a child, and she and Orsino became parents to a baby boy they named Anaerian. Mai's entire outlook on life, her priorities and her demeanor have all changed, centered around her precious baby. She is not weakened at all by becoming a mother; in fact, she is far more dangerous now that she has "Mama Dragon" trope written all over her.
14. What does he fear?
Anything bad happening to her family. Particularly Orsino, Anaerian and Shey.
15. What are his hopes or aspirations?
She just wants to leave Kirkwall and raise her son in peace.
16. What is something he doesn't want anyone to find out about him?
Long before she knew who she was, Mai caught a glimpse of Meredith in Hightown and thought she was a very attractive woman. She would DIE if anyone found out.
1. Describe this character's relationship with his parents.
She had a loving relationship with her father. Her mother used her as a scapegoat, used her, and abused her. She was GLAD when her mother died.
2. Does the character have any siblings? What is/was their relationship like?
Bethany loved her and looked up to her, and Mai adored her- she was devastated at the loss of her sister. She and Carver might not have had the most loving relationship, but she still loves him as a brother, and recently, she found out he lied to the DIVINE to keep her and Orsino safe, as well as stop an Exalted March.
3. Are there other blood relatives to whom he is close? Are there ones he can't stand?
She has a love-hate relationship with Gamlen- she hates his mooching, loves his snark and loves tormenting him.
Shey, Marian, and Slania are her most beloved "siblings"
4. Are there other, unrelated people whom he considers part of his family? What are his relationships with them?
Well, Orsino is her husband Nate recently married Slania, so she considers him family. Though they will NEVER marry, she still considers Loghain family since he cares for Shey.
5.Who is/was the character's best friend? How did they meet?
Isabela: BFF's with benefits.
Shey: Sister, BFF, god mother to her child. They met at the Hanged Man, I believe.
Marian: Met at the Gallows or the Hanged Man. BFF and her favorite sparkly Vael ever.
Slania: Met at the Hanged Man, and is her favorite cranky cousin.
6. Does he have other close friends?
Ophi, Xan, Saoirse, Kahrin, Anders- not her own- Carroll, and though she doesn't know her well, she'd love to know Tesni more.
7. Does he make friends easily, or does he have trouble getting along with people?
She... it depends. First impressions are everything. (Example being that when she met Laica, Laica was talking about her husband while being openly sexual with a Cullen- Mai doesn't like infidelity, and that was her first impression. It took a while for Laica and Mai to become friendly with each other)
8. Which does he consider more important: family or friends?
Family, but her definition of family is pretty widely encompassing.
9. Is the character single, married, divorced, widowed? Has he been married more than once?
Married to Orsino, and is very content. (She would have been content even if they hadn't married, but it was important to him.)
10. Is he currently in a romantic relationship with someone other than a spouse?
Yes, see above.
11. Who was his first crush? Who is his latest?
Her first crush was an elven boy that was passing through Lothering. XD Her latest is her husband. <3
12. What does he look for in a romantic partner?
Sap. Hopeless romantic. Provider, partner, and a flare for the awesome. A smooth voice and smirk always help.
13. Does the character have children? Grandchildren? If yes, how does he relate to them? If no, does he want any?
She has a one month old son. He loves her and she loves him, but...he's only a month old. XD
14. Does he have any rivals or enemies?
She hates Philomene because of her constant wailings of drama and her not so subtle ways of trying to draw attention to herself. Never mind she glows purple, and after dealing with demons, she is of the mindset that purple= evil.
Fenris was a big rival to her, and when he turned on her, she became skittish around most versions of him. The ones she has met recently have changed her mind, though. Slowly.
15. What is the character's sexual orientation? Where does he fall on the Kinsey scale?
3. Completely bi.
16. How does he feel about sex? How important is it to him?
Mai has a voracious sexual appetite. It's not the most important thing in a relationship to her, but she gets a bit.... rawr when she doesn't get laid in a while.
17. What are his turn-ons? Turn-offs? Weird bedroom habits?
*Having her back stroked by another mage- her tattoos make her sensitive to it.
*Shows of power- Qunari roasting? Yes please.
*Neck being bitten
She doesn't have very many turn offs- once she's turned on, she's ON. (typical squicks apply though)
Weird habits? She tends to let her mana go nuts, and she can lose control of her magic.
1. Do you know your character's astrological (zodiac of choice) sign? How well does he fit type?
She was born on the cusp of Leo and Cancer- fitting for her considering her mood swings.
2. Is this character religious, spiritual, both, or neither? How important are these elements in his life?
Mai spurned the Maker and is a convert to the Old Gods.
3. Does this character have a personal code of morals or ethics? If so, how did that begin? What would it take to compromise it?
Mai is Neutral, leaning towards Chaotic Neutral. She watches out for herself and her own first and foremost.
4. How does he regard beliefs that differ from his? Is he tolerant, intolerant, curious, indifferent?
She is fascinated by the Elven Creators, interested in the Ancestors of the Dwarves, and HATES the Chantry.
5. What prejudices does he hold? Are they irrational or does he have a good reason for them?
She assumes all templars are heartless, that she will have to fight for the respect of every Dalish, and that anything that is purple should be killed.
1. What is the character's financial situation? Is he rich, poor, comfortable, in debt?
She's got a small fortune amassed, but rarely uses it due to her living conditions.
2. What is his social status? Has this changed over time, and if so, how has the change affected him?
Secret apostate> Secret Apostate Refugee >Secret apostate noble> Champion Apostate> Most Wanted Apostate in Thedas> Dead Apostate> Champion Apostate> Apostate on the Run.
She's tired of running.
3. Where does he live? House, apartment, trailer? Is his home his castle or just a place to crash? What condition is it in? Does he share it with others?
She HAD an estate, but she burned it down. Now she's staying with Carroll on Izzy's ship.
4. Besides the basic necessities, what does he spend his money on?
Aqua Magus. 8D
5. What does he do for a living? Is he good at it? Does he enjoy it, or would he rather be doing something else?
Professional Pain in the Ass, Mercenary.
6. What are his interests or hobbies? How does he spend his free time?
Reading, singing, sewing, spending time with family, flying as a dragon.
7. What are his eating habits? Does he skip meals, eat out, drink alcohol, avoid certain foods?
Mai loves to eat- dairy especially. The woman loves cheese and milk.
Which of the following do you associate with the character, or which is his favorite:
1. Color? Dark dark red
2. Smell? Fire, clove, cinnamon, dragon's blood, vetivere
3. Time of day? Late Night
4. Season? Autumn
5. Book? An old tome with blood on its yellowed pages.
6. Music? New Age Dark Wave- Dargaard
7. Place? Mountains
8. Substance? Blood or Fire
9. Plant? Embrium
10. Animal? Bird