Please read this post
, titled "Images acceptable on this group".
In general, what I'm saying is that the photographs must be taken in the Chicago metropolitan area (Cook, DuPage, Will, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties in Illinois, Lake County in Indiana), and be devoid of offensive material. In the post, I specify some of what I consider to be offensive, but remember - this is a group, not a court of law. If your common sense should have told you not to do something, you shouldn't do it, even if I haven't thought of posting a rule against it. I do reserve the right to eject members "for any reason or for no reason at all", not because I enjoy throwing people out, but to put an end to any attempt at lawyering.
This group is like a room in my virtual home. Be a good guest in it, and I'll be a good host, and how it is that I define being a good guest really isn't that surprising. Just think about the words "moderately traditional values", and remember that I'm a Conservative Jewish guy from the suburbs, and almost everything should become fairly obvious.
A few points:
1. Please DO NOT use this group to advertise your own group, forum or site without getting permission from the modstaff, first. Permission will not generally be given until after we've gotten to know you. A great way to do that is to actively post to the discussion section of the group, and put more images into the pool - we always appreciate that. Going to some of the local meetings, once we get those going, wouldn't be bad, either.
2. Stay as courteous as the other person lets you be, and know that I will use my common sense in enforcing this rule - I do know what the word "needling" means.
3. Know that this group is run by a Centrist, who ran out of patience with the abusive behavior of political extremists of all varieties, ages ago. If you want to fight for Political Correctness, please take it elsewhere. I don't want to hear about it.
4. Please DO use the discussion section to talk about your work and subject matter, in a responsible manner - don't do anything that you wouldn't want to see everybody doing.
For example, creating a new thread for each photo you make would be very wrong. We have thousands of photos in the pool - picture what the board would look like if we had a thread for each of them. Creating a vanity thread in which you just post your images (without further discussion) wouldn't be appropriate for this group, either. But let's say that you find an old, half forgotten church, spend an afternoon exploring it from all angles, and do a thread embedding those images, talking about the choices you made, and maybe telling us something about the history of the church and its congregation?
That would be great. Or maybe you were walking along the lakeshore, saw a rare bird fly up on shore, and were completely fascinated by this, because ornithology is your passion. Doing a thread with a lot of images of your find, along with some text in which you teach us something about the species would be fine. Documenting it with footnotes and links to relevant resources would be fantastic.
Tell us a story, or give us something for the mind as well as for the eye. Give us some real substance, sharing your interests or what you care about.
5. Avoid political discussions. I'm not waiting to pounce on you if you break this one, but I've run into more than a few people in such discussions who seemed to belong in psychiatric wards. We don't need people like that here. I hesitate to say that this group is about lighthearted fun, because that almost sounds like a promise that no unpleasant subject will ever arise, and I can't make that promise. I will say that drama is not what this group is intended to be about, and political discussions seem to almost never be about anything else on DeviantArt.
If you stumble into the subject, in the course of talking about something else, make a good faith effort to stumble back on out as soon as you gracefully can.