Ready to start pushing some long-overdue updates to MLP:45e. Some will be posted here before the final update. Here's where the new changelings are at. This does not replace the changeling orphan race, which will continue to be the traditional black changelings who have not experienced Thorax's revolution.
Unlike other changeling hives, the former hive of Queen Chrysalis underwent a rebellion, led by Thorax, Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord. The changelings of this hive learned that they could feed off each other’s’ kindness without needing to cause them harm. In her weakened state, Chrysalis was unable to telepathically drive these rebellious thoughts from the minds of her brood.
These reformed changelings immediately underwent a physical evolution. Each permanently transformed into a new body that matched their personality and abilities. Some became strong, tough soldiers, while others became speedy, elusive scouts, or masters of shapechanging, while still others found they gained strange new magical talents.
King Thorax rules his former queen’s hive with a gentle, caring hoof. He understands the prejudices of other races and is always keen to attempt diplomacy first, and he encourages his extended family to do likewise. Pharynx, his guard captain and brother, leads the defense of the hive and maintains order while Thorax is away. As the evolved changelings continue to explore the world and grow in number, their eventual goal is to expand their knowledge and caring to other hives who have yet to evolve.
Evolved Changeling Traits
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: Equestrian, Undercommon, and Changeling Pheromones
Natural Weapons: You are proficient with your bite and horn attacks, which are finesse weapons that deal 1d4 piercing damage.
Flight: You have a fly speed of 40 feet. If you are at half your maximum HP or less, your fly speed is halved and you must make a DC 15 Constitution check to gain altitude. If you are at one-quarter your maximum HP or less, you cannot fly and can only glide to the ground (see below). If you have one level of exhaustion, your fly speed is halved. If you have two or more, you cannot fly.
Cloud Walking: You can touch and interact with clouds as if they were solid (albeit soft) ground. This means you can sit or lie on clouds, move them around, gather them together, or buck them apart with your hooves. You can also stomp on thick clouds and force them to rain, or possibly even coax out a small lightning bolt if it’s a thick enough cloud.
Glide: When you fall 30 feet or more, you can use your reaction to spread your wings and slow your fall, preventing you from taking any falling damage. For every 10 feet you fall, you can move 5 feet horizontally.
Sky Hauler: You gain Sky Hauler as a bonus Cartoon Physics ability.
Shapechange: You use your action to take on the appearance of any other medium-sized living, natural creature. The first time you assume a new shape, the creature you duplicate must be within 50 feet of you. You can remember a number of different forms equal to your Intelligence score. You can “forget” any of your memorized forms in order to learn a new one. Once you’ve learned a form, you can change minor details of its appearance. This means, for example, if you learn “earth pony” as a form, from that point on when you change shape into an earth pony, you can pick any subrace, gender, build, hair style and color, coat color, eye color, and cutie mark. Such variations don’t count against the limit of forms you know.
The shape’s details are based on what you can discern through your normal senses, so if the creature you’re copying has a hidden scar, a bag with unknown contents, or some other quality you can’t detect, you’re forced to guess. Your equipment blends into the new form, or takes on the appearance of some other equipment your target is wearing (your choice). Any magic items you wear continue to function.
If you change into a form without wings, you lose your flight, cloud walking, and glide abilities. If you change into an aquatic form, you gain its ability to breathe water (or hold its breath for extended periods). If you change into a form with superior senses such as an eagle’s vision, you gain that sense. Any other form you take that has some sort of special characteristic should be adjudicated by the GM, but generally any abilities you gain from the form should be (together) no more powerful than a feat. Note that changing into a unicorn does not grant you access to arcane magic.
If the form can speak, you can speak in its voice, but unless you’re familiar with the target, you don’t know its mannerisms. Close friends of the target can tell you’re an imposter if they beat you at a contest of your Charisma (Deception) against their Wisdom (Insight). If you win the contest by 4 or less, they are suspicious but see no reason to disbelieve you. If you win the contest by 5 or more, they are convinced that you are the genuine article. If, later on, something comes up where they have reason to be suspicious again, they can retry the contest.
Brittle: You have an exoskeleton which is less resilient to damage than creatures with skeletons. Whenever you take piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, or force damage, you take 1 extra point of damage.
Subrace: Chose one of the four changeling subraces for your character: Soldier, Scout, Magi, or Mimic.
Changeling Soldier (Subrace)
Soldiers are the hardened warriors of the changeling hive. Their natural form may be flightless, but they
- Ability Score Bonus: Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 2, to a maximum of 20.
- Flightless: You have no wings, and lose the Flight, Glide, Cloud Walking, and Sky Hauler abilities common to other changelings.
- Scuttling Charge: As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an opponent you can see.
- Sharp Chitin: The damage of your natural weapons increases to 1d8.
- Thick Hide: You gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class, and you ignore the Brittle trait that other changelings have.
Changeling Scout (Subrace)
Scouts are the messengers and patrollers of the changeling hive. They are fast flyers and have keen senses, making them always first to know when the hive is in danger.
- Ability Score Bonus: Your Dexterity score increases by 2, to a maximum of 20.
- Fast Flight: Your fly speed increases to 50 feet, and your walking speed increases to 35 feet.
- Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Keen Nose: You have the same keen nose ability as a diamond dog. To save space, the text is not repeated here.
- Perceptive: You gain proficiency in the Perception skill.
Changeling Magus (Subrace)
Magi are the changelings who spontaneously gained new magical abilities. Most have yet to master these abilities, while others have trained themselves or study with skilled unicorns.
- Ability Score Bonus: Your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma score increases by 2, to a maximum of 20.
- Arcane Magic: Your horn grants you the capability to wield arcane magic. This means that you are eligible for the wizard class and the eldritch knight and arcane trickster subclasses. While you cast or concentrate on a spell, both your horn and the target of the spell glow with a magical aura. The color of your magic aura is determined at birth and never changes (unless you use dark magic).
- Magic Initiate: You gain the Magic Initiate feat (see page 168 of the D&D 5th Edition Player’s Handbook). Choose bard, sorcerer, or wizard as the class which you wish to learn spells from. Most changelings pick Apprentice’s Telekinesis and Light as their cantrips. If desired, you can opt to learn an additional cantrip instead of the feat’s 1st-level spell.
- Skilled: You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Changeling Mimic (Subrace)
Changeling mimics are master shapeshifters. They have the most powerful transformation abilities of any type of changeling, allowing them to turn into anything from dangerous beasts to cuddly bunnies or even objects like a rock or tree.
- Ability Score Bonus: Increase one ability score of your choice by +2, to a maximum of 20.
- Advanced Shapechanging: In addition to the normal changeling Shapechange ability, you gain the Wild Shape, Combat Wild Shape, and Circle Forms abilities of the circle of the moon druid class, but you do not have restrictions against choosing swimming or flying forms. When the ability refers to druid level, you instead use your total level. Like a druid, you are able to use this ability two twice, and regain expended uses after completing a short or long rest.
- Object Shapechanging: You can use your normal changeling Shapechange ability to transform into Small, Medium, or Large-sized solid object. The object cannot have moving parts. While transformed in this manner, you are indistinguishable from a normal object. You retain all your senses, but you cannot speak or move.