Want a commission? COMMISSION INFO 2020
Be sure to follow me on INSTAGRAM!
Work process for the last painting.
1) Quick B&W composition sketches of basic shapes to establish the general composition and balance of the painting. Thumbnails are developed more, but not too much, to give a little more information. Main idea here is capturing the subject, composition, values and atmosphere (Spanish style town square, nighttime, dynamic lighting, dramatic, etc).
2) Various color roughs to play around with potential mood and lighting. I ended up going with the top right choice in the end.
3) Rough sketch of the lineart is made following the thumbnail sketch. This sketch is kept very loose since it's mainly for establishing the placement of all visual elements.
4) Sketch is further developed, but the perspective is properly mapped out so we can start putting down more permanent lines.
5) More refining on the lineart with close attention being paid to the perspective.
6) Lineart is finalized and ready for painting.
7) Values are painted in following the bottom right thumbnail rough in step 1.
8) Colors are now painted over but still follow the value rough as to not change the focus, composition and atmosphere of the painting.
9) Painting is finished after doing some color adjustments and fine details. Overall, the finished painting matches closely to the original colored thumbnail we started from in step 2.
PORTFOLIO INSTAGRAM TUMBLR