If, like me, you’re irritated by the whole “volumes” thing The Hub and Discovery Family insist(ed) on for the iTunes version of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic,
I’ve uploaded to my “Stash”
a zip archive containing two sets of season icons to replace the existing “album art”, using the same 480-pixel-square size the existing images do. One set uses the same design for all seasons: large “SEASON X” text and the current series logo on a simple dark-purple background. The other set uses smaller text and the appropriate title card for each season—the old pink series logo for seasons 1–6 and the new purple series logo for seasons 7–9. Also included are icons without season text.
If other download services beside iTunes use the same “volumes” model, I hope these images will work for them as well. Below is how to apply the images in iTunes for Mac; I haven’t used recent versions of Windows, so I’m afraid I don’t know how the process would work there.
1. Download and unzip the archive, which contains two folders of icons; choose which set of icons you prefer to use.
2. In iTunes, select a season of MLPFIM
and go to Edit > Get Info (or press command-i); a dialog box pops up with metadata for the season.
3. Click on the “Artwork” tab (near the top of the dialog box, second from the left), which brings up a large preview of the artwork used by the season.
4. Click on the “Add Artwork” button at the lower left of the dialog box, then navigate to the file-system location where you put the downloaded PNG images and choose the appropriate season image (“mlpfim-SX.png”, where X is the season number).
5. iTunes will ask whether you want to replace multiple items. I did, so all the individual episodes now use the season artwork; I’m not sure what happens if one chooses not to.