I am looking for pencillers for a number of one-shot comics I have begun writing-- single issues, 20-48 pages each, telling a story that's complete in one issue. These comics will be featured stories in my "Black Label Comics" anthology, and where possible pitched to publishers.
The good news is that three of these books are now getting geared up, but I'd like to keep the others moving. I'm looking for a penciller for each of the following stories.Flee the Greywood
- (48 pages, outline complete) A bloody and terrifying, low fantasy take on the classic "orphan kidnapped by elves/faeries" trope. Elves are horrible sharp-toothed creatures at the heart of a great forest, who "adopt" orphan children to feast on their terror and blood. In the isolated village of Valdowne, orphans are traditionally adopted by the majestic but alien elves of the nearby forest kingdom. When Tomas' parents die, and he is sent into the heart of the Greywood, he discovers a nightmare of cruelty and brutality. Along with his fellow prisoners-- the young Josef, dwarven girl Dreyva, and a half-elf slave warrior Helegiel-- Tomas escapes the living castle of the Elves, only to decide to remain in the Greywood to turn the tables.The Undertaking
- When medical examiner Jennifer O'Hare comes across a body that isn't dead, or at least hasn't stopped moving, she sometimes has to work with disgraced mortician-turned-detective Abraham Crane to unearth why and how.Vitus Hale
- Sheriff Vitus Hale keeps the peace in Pyride Gulch, California, with nothing more than hard work, stern words, the threat of violence, the trust of the everyday folks in the town ...and a laser gun. A time traveller from the distant future, Hale is stranded in a tough time and place.G'rana Mankin
- G’rana has an unfortunate origin, in the eyes of her people. She’s doomed to be an outsider, because she is a disgusting half-human! Seen another way, she’s surprisingly pretty, and almost human-looking, for a goblin. In the right light, she might inspire a human male to consider making some (ugh) quarter-goblins.Legacy of Light
- Miss Raya was America's first super-heroine, and left a great legacy behind. America’s Super-Sweetheart helped turn the tide in the Second World War, thanks to her super strength, invulnerability, and atomic-powered lights-- until she met her fate at the fall of Berlin. Two decades later, as a new generation of heroes arose, a worthy successor took on the name for a time. Now, the grand-neice of the original Miss Raya has announced on her 18th birthday that she had somehow inhereted the powers of her famous relative. Could Rayana be the hottest celebrity in living memory? Her early appearance as both a presumed-hero and as a celebrity could mean too much pressure. So far, she hasn’t shown herself to be as courageous as her role-models. Perhaps there's still time for her to prove herself.Dark Matter
- Over the ages, various space-faring cultures have encountered the mysterious “Nebula Sirens," beautiful and strange black-bodied beings that live unprotected in space. Early explorers are said to have believed the creatures to be predators of a sort, tempting men to space-walk into the nebular clouds. Every now and then, someone finds out.
The following one-shots are currently unavailable, having been offered to artists. (They may become available later.)The Deathlings: Bloodsuckers
- (Written as 8 pages, can be expanded to 22 pages) A group of archaeology students and their professor encounter vampire mosquitos, changed from long exposure to a nearby vampire. They are temporarily rescued by Ani, who teaches them the only real cure for Vampirism.
The following one-shots are in production or have art teams assigned:The Deathlings: Ghost Town
- (20 pages, in production) A Deathling, The Nameless Cowboy, returns to a ghost town that holds some strong memories, to fight the undead. While tracking the source of the infestation, he also faces the ghosts of his memories, especially a lost love. Line art by eltondias
, color art by SMachajewski
.The Elements: From the Earth
- (22 pages, outline complete) Since the dawn of time, four heroes have stood together, chosen by the elements to be the heroes of our world. Earth, patient and strong. Air, enigmatic and swift. Fire, beautiful but dangerous. Water, malleable and nurturing. When they all fall, another four are chosen from among the ranks of Mankind. Centuries ago, three met their fates, but Earth survived buried deep underground, and the mantle could not be passed on to a new generation. Until now. (Art team to be announced later.)Kiki Marquis: Lost in the Everywhere
- (22 pages, outline complete) Kiki was always a bit hyperactive, but after stealing a mysterious silver key that allows her to travel between infinite worlds, her life has become even more frenetic-- and she's loving every minute of it. But how does she get home? Art by jurithedreamer
Because I get a surprising number of responses to these things, I should clarify a few things up front to save you some time:
- Pencillers Only: For now I am only looking for pencillers or penciller-inkers. I build teams around the penciller.
- Only pencillers with comics pages in their portfolio will be considered. Being able to do a gorgeous portrait doesn't translate to good storytelling. (If your best pencilled pages aren't here on DA, email them to me.)
- If we have spoken before, and you're interested in one of these stories, please contact me! I don't want my fear of pestering people directly to mean the perfect team doesn't come together!