Over the course of about 4 and a half weeks I pushed myself to understand the Overwatch style and do a concept for D.VA. Dva seemed like the best character to "use" as a study, in that she has both mechanical and human parts to consider. With that I also had to consider polycount, rigging, and other pipeline issues that might arise as I worked on both the mech and pilot individually. My first passes were not correct, they did not fit the overwatch style and I couldnt figure out why. So i went back to the drawing board
Of course the most difficult part was using and really understanding Arn's style and design cues. I spent over 2 weeks looking at every character's concepts and models to see what every part of the overwatch world looked like. Of course, Arn's lineart is also so precise it took a lot of time to get it down correctly, especially because im not much of a lineart guy. After feeling confident enough, I picked an idea and 3 weeks later, finalized the concepts.