A mere eleven years ago, deviantART met its humble beginnings. Since that time, we've grown to be the world's largest online art community, but even a site as massive and established as deviantART had to start somewhere. We never forget those few small sparks that launched deviantART to be where it is today, and that's what we're celebrating during our birthday season.
For this year's community event, we're embracing the idea of starting small and creating something amazing from just a few quick sketches. We've started this work for you and challenge you to finish it with the pizzazz that only the best art community in the world could do. Let your imagination run wild!
We've given you a random combination of lines in the downloadable pack below. Your challenge is to look at the drawing creatively and find an object or scene within the randomness to bring a whole new meaning to the piece. Use these few lines to bring this skribble to life!Download Template
What do you see when you look at this skribble? Maybe you see two unicorns engaged in an epic battle of survival. Perhaps you see a desert oasis, filled with palm trees and delicious drinks. Or could it be that this is the lost underwater kingdom of Atlantis? However you're inspired, we want to see it!
You can do a lot with this skribble. You can print it out and use traditional methods to craft your entry. You can digitally recreate it into a masterpiece. Your creation is completely up to you!Submit Artwork
- The skribbled lines must appear in your entry exactly as they appear in the download. You may not move or alter these lines in relation to each other.
- The original lines must be clearly visible. No covering up or deleting these lines! You may trace them, but we must be able to easily see the original lines in your work.
- You may rotate the set of lines as a set of lines in any direction you'd like within your entry.
Presenting: Community Volunteers
Pimps and Whoas - July 26, 2011
What Do You See? Birthday Contest!
1. [link] -- I think to use the same scribble two times, creating a cute looking AND a terrifying creature with different emotion, is what makes this a masterpiece! Plus the coloring and overall mood is just amazing!! (The artist is only 17 by the way!!)
2. [link] -- Thats what I call creative and colorful! The expression and position of the woman is wonderful and the picture has strong emotions! This is true art!!
3. [link] -- This is cute, creative and perfectly drawn.. what do u want more??!!
This just to mention some... These would have deserved to win! I know, it were also the one that gained a lot of popularity in the contest and many say its just because they have lots of watchers and stuff, so DA probably thought: well, then lets pick some of the unknown pictures... There was a picture, which had 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! favourites when it came into the semi-finals!!! Dont you think, that favs are also an indicator for the quality of a picture?? Being on the front page of the contest doesnt mean, these artists didnt spend many hours and effort to create their works!! Dont you think it has to mean something that they have a lot of favs??.... well, I am just upset! Instead DA picked a cheated fish-lady with a tiny photoshopped tattoo on her arm, including the lines, wow, how creative! well done DA!... >
hope next time they won't screw up...
(I don't use photoshop but I draw both digital and traditional)