These are some Initiative Trackers and Character Tokens I created for D&D. It took me about 3 hours to paint all these up. I used two different brands of paint: Arteza and DecoArt. The metallic are DecoArt paints, and the mattes are the Arteza paints; both came in sets.
In use, the Initiative Trackers are clipped to the top edge of my DM screen. These help me and the players keep track of whose turn is next. It's a constant process of adjusting their positions, but I'm sure I'd have lost track of things more than once back earlier this year during our first round of D&D sessions. While I've consistently used wooden clothespins for my trackers, my initial set for these consisted merely of unpainted pins with the designations written in blue ink. They were an adequate stopgap measure for the amount of time I'd given myself to prepare for my first round of sessions as a DM, but I was never really pleased with them.
Neither was I very pleased with the original tokens I used for players and NPCs. It was difficult to paint my designations on them, which for Enemies and Helpers consisted of an E or H and a number. Also, with no less than 4 characters whose names started with S, it was often confusing which player had claimed which token, and I never remembered to make notes on who used which color S token. So, yeah, lots of issues there too. These the players and I use to represent their Characters, and Enemy and Helper characters on grid mats and maps and such. If you want to do something similar to this, look for standard 1-inch aquarium beads. They won't be exactly uniform, or precisely one inch in size, but they're adequate for the job, and I've been pleased with these overall, even if I haven't liked my methods of labeling them until now.
What you see above are three sets of groups. The first set of pins and the red tokens are for Enemies. Set #2 represents Helpers. And Set #3 is for Player Characters. For the Enemies and Helpers, I tend to do groups of four or more when setting up things like this because just in the games I've played, I've noticed that sometimes numbers of NPCs who are involved in conflicts and such with player characters can be somewhat high. I used copper paint for the Enemy Initiative Trackers, and silver Arteza paint for the numbers on them, then wrote out the words for the numbers on the pins. For the second set, I also wrote out the words of the numbers on the pins and used a pretty blue DecoArt paint for the handles of the pins, with more silver Arteza paint on the tokens. As you can see, I color-coded the Player Character Initiative Trackers and Tokens, first covering the pins' handles with silver DecoArt paint. Since I have precisely six players in my group, I decided to go ahead and use the standard rainbow colors for better distinction.