If you liked the video, also check out the audio drama by Ashley H!
Only 3 years late! Please read the novel of text below! It should answer most questions! I will try to help people where I can, but if you get confused with anything regarding SFM use (i.e. how gobo textures work, how to re-texture, etc.), try searching YouTube for tutorials first.
Just warning you that what the map looks like is not what it looks like in the video most people know it from. Each shot was custom lit in the video to get the effect needed. This is why the lighting was kept low. Nonetheless, with some TLC, you can get the same look here.
The map has a lot of issues with it as it was built for the sole purpose of Remembrance. There are some holes in the wall that appeared for no reason, areas outside the hall are super minimal/crappy, and the building looks like poop from outside. If anyone wants to go and fix up the map, clean it up and/or upgrade it, by all means go ahead. This was my first map ever and ended with me loathing Hammer. Hence, I stick to scenebuilding everything lol.
Element Hall Map [mlp_element_hallway]
Stained Glass Window models [7 in total, search "glass_"] (Created by BeardedDoomGuy)
Element Door [door, door_frame, door_lock] (Created by GunGryphon)
Hanging Flags [element_flag] (Created by myself)
Flower Pots [flower_pot] (Created by GunGryphon)
Gobo Textures for Window Lights [search "stained_"]
Template Save File [mlp_elementhall_template.dmx]
- First off, there was a LOT of custom work done with lighting, textures and particles in the final version of Remembrance within SFM. This map is not going to supply all that. It only has the minimum. It will take some work on your part to buff it up.
- To install, just drag all files (besides the Read Me file) from within the ZIP file into your "usermod" folder. Do not modify their structure in any way. Just grab them all and drop it in "usermod".
- If you are looking for the Twilight pentagram circle model thing, that can be found here. Created by The4thaggie
- There is a save file called "mlp_elementhall_template" that has the door and some lighting set in the main area as a quick example of how you could do the lighting yourself. Feel free to use it as you want.
- If you are not using the template, the doorway and window areas will be open. You will need to either load the models manually or put something else in its place. The door is separate so you can grab the bones for opening and such. The Mane 5 windows were separate as they can explodes.
- The streaming light from the windows is not actually being created by passing through the windows. To make the volumetric window lights look like that, you have to apply a gobo texture to a light. Included with the file are 7 in total: 5 for each of the Mane 5 windows and 2 for each of the ones in the hall. They are pre-blurred for optimum effect.
Stained Glass Textures: nenuiel
Custom Models: GunGryphon, BeardedDoomGuy, The4thaggie
Other Models/Textures used: friagram & Snazzysummary from MLP Canterlot Castle
Final Testers for Release: yaasho, TsuriaDragon, and many others from the livestream on 4/27/18.
Note: This was intended for use in Source Filmmaker. I can not guarantee its use in any other medium (namely GMod).
v1: Release (29APR2018)
v2: Corrected a gobo texture linking issue on the save file DMX. No map changes. (30APR2018)
It was done in two renders. One render had them walking as normal and with textures twice their normal brightness. I then rendered again, but with them removed from the shot. I then overlaid the two in a video editing software and had the first shot set to only be 50% visible. It will give a ghost effect. The models were made twice as bright as the transparency would normally make them appear dark. It is to offset that a bit.