"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds, and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."
Most authors dream of having their stories illustrated.
- Linda Hoyland, fanfiction author
We are a group that unites those who write fanfiction stories for the big and wonderful world of professor Tolkien, and those who draw or paint their visions of it. Our goal is to encourage artists to read and illustrate fanfiction, and collect such stories and illustrations.
We closely collaborate with the fanfiction archives Naice a Nilme and The Silmarillion Writers' Guild and fanfiction contest Teitho
OUR GALLERY FOLDERS:
humorous and crack fanfics
fanfiction illustrations - the picture should have a link to the story or at least its title in the artist's comments. We also accept illustrations for roleplays, the Black Book of Arda and for fan movies (Born of Hope and The Hunt for Gollum)
Between the lines - here we accept pictures which themselves tell a story that is not in the books, or just hinted at, it doesn't have to have a link to a story (It can be an AU, original characters, or illustration of the characters before or after the events in the books/movies, a scene that was not showed but logically had to happen, etc.)
Teitho pictures: Teitho is a monthly fanfiction challenge, which gives you a theme to write about. Here, we challenge you to take the same theme, and draw a picture for it. It doesn't have to feature Aragorn and/or Legolas, like the written entries do. Your best pictures will be featured at the Teitho site as well.
B2MeM: Every year in March, the b2mem livejournal community organizes a Back to Middle-earth Month. This folder is for the entries created for it. (You can submit also entries from previous years)
The rest of Arda: because I hate declining pictures...
About slash and mature content: In both pictures and stories, mature content should be put under a filter, and comply with the dA policy:FAQ #220: What is Mature Content? and FAQ #565: You prohibit the submission of 'pornographic imagery'; what do you consider this to be?. Slash stories should have a warning either in the title or author's comments - authors and readers should be respectful to each other and their preferences.
Please, no Mary Sues in pictures or stories!
SOME OTHER FANFICTION ARCHIVES WHERE YOU CAN LOOK FOR INSPIRATION:
fanfiction.net - Lord of the Rings section and Silmarillion section
Stories of Arda
The Silmarillion Writers' Guild
I do not know how to talk about myself, because I am an ordinary person.
I'm a librarian. I love books and cats. I collect dolls. I draw a lot.
2. What brought you to deviatArt and how did you pick your username?
At first I just looked at the photos of the dolls. And my username remains from that hobby.
3. How did you enter Tolkien's world for the first time, and what impression did it leave in you?
I read The Hobbit and the first book of the Lord of the Rings when I was a child. But the translation of the second and third books was not published then. It simply could not be read. Yes, I am so old, I remember these prehistoric times Dissatisfied curiosity was my first feeling for the world of Tolkien.
I was in love with Middle-earth and really wanted to know the continuation of the story.
Since then, I love Elrond and Glorfindel. In my imagination, they are not at all like the elves I see in the work of other people. They are such .. Such .. Magic.
4. What creates the image of Middle-earth in your mind? Is it more influenced by the books or movies, or maybe other artists, and did it change over time or remained the same?
My image of Middle-earth was formed in childhood, as a collective image of the books of Tolkien and many stories about the people of hollow hills. Now the image of the world has become, perhaps, darker. In childhood, faith in the victory of good over evil is stronger
The film version for me is a completely different story, not about my Middle-earth. Although I like it very much.
6. Who is your favourite Tolkien character and why?
7. Are there some topics in Tolkien's works that you are particularly passionate about?
Ainur. The Curse of Mandos. Istari
8. Now, could you tell us something about you and art? Are you a professional artist, or is art just your hobby? When did you start doing it, and who or what influenced your style?
Drawing is my hobby. I start to draw when a story fascinates me and I certainly need to express my feelings, but words are not enough. If emotions can be expressed in words, I do not draw
I am inspired by ancient sculpture and classical painting, because I draw gods and heroes
9. What's your creative process from picking the theme to finishing a picture?
Sometimes there are very thoughtful ideas, several options for sketches, large folders of inspirational and motivating images, but more often it takes less than an hour from a random remark of a friend, a read phrase, a dream, to a finished sketch. Then with this sketch I will sit through the night until dawn ... But in general, it already accurately conveys all that will be in the end.
The idea is on the left, the sketch on the right. Drawn overnight
But: from the idea (miniature) to the result - three months
10. You only started posting Tolkien fan-art recently, and posted a lot of pictures since then. What gives you this drive/motivation to draw so much of Tolkien's characters?
I want to draw better, and I study. With a teacher, I draw what I need, and this is most often boring. This is useful, but boring. I like the world of Tolkien, drawing something on this subject inspires me and keeps me interested in drawing even boring things
11. Speaking about characters, you mostly paint Valar and Maiar. What brought your focus to them?
I like gods and heroes!
I am fascinated by the idea of creatures who have connected themselves with the world, who have become part of it from creation to the end, serving not for themselves and their self-expression, but for their great design, creatures of strong, beautiful... And yet vulnerable, deluded, feeling, alive.
12. What other book or movies (or anything else) inspire you to create fanart, and why?
I still draw too little to decide on technique or style. Maybe in six months my gallery will become completely unrecognizable ... And maybe not
15. Could you tell us, which
- Tolkien illustration you are most proud of?
- original picture or picture from other fandom you are most proud of?
I like all the pictures. And when my drawings cease to please me, I redraw them. And I like my drawings again!
- picture fits your current mood?
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." — Robert Heinlein.
I started drawing in color and without a contour when I realized that I was tired of drawing many small details
16. Would you like to thank somebody here? What key people in your life, (on or off of dA) have been inspirations to you, or has supported you, as an artist? You can also tell us why, if you want.
I am grateful to everyone who watches my drawings, who writes comments. The support of these people is very important to me. I gladly post my drawings on the deviantart.
18. Is there something else you would like to tell to the fans of Tolkien and your art?
See you soon!