I had it once as a child. I don't recall it being horrible, just a little annoying. It was certainly nowhere near as terrible as the reactions that I've had to laundry detergent... some of those times, I've felt like I would prefer to just strip my skin off rather than deal with the intense itching.
You mean before the ivy rash? If so, then no. I had the reaction to poison ivy when I was fairly young (maybe around ten years old). The detergent sensitivity is very, very recent. It only started last year, with a detergent brand that I have been using for at least ten years! Now I can only use a few brands that don't contain phosphates. If I don't, I get a horrible itchy rash as a result.
No, they thought it was ivy but it was actually scabies. Yay!
-.- had it on my fingers multiple times as a kid. How I got it idk because you can only get it from other people, so maybe school? But it was aweful, and took a few weeks each time to get rid of. Talk about an itch from hell, I would run my hands under seriously hot water just to get it to stop. Though I really wanted to rip my skin off my fingers. :C
Never had it. But remedies I know of are to make a paste of Baking powder and vinegar. (POWDER not soda) and put that on. The other is to wash the area in vodka. Nothing super pricey. But the alcohol helps break down the molecule that is causing the rash and the itch.
I only had it once. It started on my hand, in little clear bubbles. I thought they were zits or something, so I popped it and the clear juice came out. It got itchy, and it hide, until it got so bad that it spread to the left side of my face, and left leg, hands and arms. Half of my face was swollen, and it sagged and swayed. Lol, I looked like a monster!
It it was so horrible. It hurt insanely bad, and it was itchy as hell! And NEVER itch or pop the CLEAR BUBBLES.
Yeah, I've had it several times. It's horrible stuff. Fun story is that there was a British guy I went to college with, and some "friends" tried to get him to touch the stuff. Fortunately for him he was pre-warned about poison ivy and stayed away.
I saw others mention stinging nettles. We have them here in the U.S. You've probably come into contact with them and not known. Ever go walking in a forest and then later you felt as if you'd been eaten by fire ants just around your legs? Sometimes that's nettles and not fire ant bites. Has nothing on poison ivy/oak/sumac.
if I know I came into contact with it I always wash my hands immediately because I have a tendency to touch my face, especially my forehead... so I'd get it on my hands, arms, and face. -_- What I always did was use cortisone, calamine lotion, and alcohol.
i only got poison ivy once and after that i never went out into the bush. I was only around 10 at the time but lemmie tell ya i wanted the leg off xD I found that calamine lotion was the only thing keeping me sane and from scratching it.
not that I know of anyway.... then again places with lots of wild trees or shrubs are pretty rare around here to begin with, and places were people regularly come would definitly have had any dangerous or irritating plants or substances removed as much as possible. So apart from people having allergic reactions to certain things there's generally not much to worry about. More worried about certain bugs than plants really XD like ticks or processionary caterpillars, though even those aren't really dangerous, mostly just annoying as hell.
aaah well here in belgium, especially in the place I live, most of the free space has houses on it now XD and the space that doesn't have houses on it is usually farmland. People here tend to not really like big apartement buildings so cities expand outwards and take up all free room. Wildspace is almost non-existant in the area I live. And the small parts that COULD go for wildspace are barely big enough to be called a park most of the time, let alone having woods or forrests XD Small country with many people all wanting their own seperate house lol. The few natural areas there are are also closely monitored.
Well there's financial benefits to being a houseowner in the long term + if you rent you can't just do what you want with it without getting permission from the owner. People here are also said to "be born with a brick in their stomach", they al want a place to call their own. Buying a house is an investment, renting is just filling someone else's pockets without getting anything in return apart from "being allowed to live in the property"... for as long as it suits the owner that is.
Though, I have had Stinging Nettles before. No thanks to my brother when we were younger. He told me to run through the field of "flowers".... so I did. It was a field of stinging nettles. The pain and itchy feeling of it was horrible to say the least.
The way to describe the Stinging Nettle plant is that it has tiny, hollow stinging hairs, that act like hypodermic needles, which injects histamines and other chemicals to create the stinging sensation.
Stinging nettles are the worst, I fell into a huge patch of them before and man my arms were stinging so bad, I ran for the vinegar and rub as many dock leaves onto me as possible... As kids we used to learn how to pick them up without getting stung.
I used to be immune. When I lived in Ohio, I'd go out in the woods and never have an issues, i'd never had it until I was about a teenager. I grabbed it not thinking about it and then the next day I had it all over me. Now ever since then I just get it at least once or twice a year with the state parks I like to visit. x-x