Okay, this sounds stupid, but...
I did a pain test on myself using different DC voltage levels on dry skin, wet skin, skin covered in acid (lemon juice), and the tongue.
I did a pain test on myself using different DC voltage levels on dry skin, wet skin, skin covered in acid (lemon juice), and the tongue.I did a pain test on myself using different DC voltage levels on dry skin, wet skin, skin covered in acid (lemon juice), and the tongue.
Here are my results:
Torturous level: 121V
Unbearable level: 156V
Torturous level: 68V
Unbearable level: 85V
Acid on skin:
Torturous level: 45V
Unbearable level: 54V
Torturous level: 12V
Unbearable level: 16V
So, I've determined that with acid over water, resistance is decreased further, and at the tongue the resistance is the lowest.
...3rd time's the charm? (I recall a guy on YouTube that has dome some similar testing, but not quite at all those levels, so this seems fairly complete. Strange, but still helpful information to know I'd say!
I think the only thing I could contribute is that 120V AC @ 60Hz is tingly enough to get your attention with dry skin. A few hundred million volts AC at RF frequencies also tingles, but only when it's not using your body as a direct path to ground. Otherwise, it's lights out or 6' under at ~7mA.
Whoa. I treat AC as harmful, and a good enough wallop can put your lights out or dig your grave. Ever wonder why 2kV AC is used to execute people at the electric chair?
That's why I usually work with DC. No dangerous pulsing waves to worry about, and it failed to kill off an elephant when Edison tried an experiment with several kV DC.
That was indeed Edison's argument, so he did kill off elephants with AC trying to push DC power distribution. Thankfully the good legacy of Tesla still stands even if under-acknowledged and we have AC power distribution. But yes, generally speaking, that's the case. (If there's places that still use the electric chair, 2kV AC is probably used because it's cheap and easy to get from any microwave oven. ) Now, my dad told me about someone, a co-worker I believe, who was working on a tube amplifier and got shocked by, I guess it's the grid voltage (pretty tube ignorant here), of 4kV DC. From what I recall, it definitely knocked him out cold and left a real sharp pain that took a while to get over. The guy's thoughts were that AC is of course bad to get shocked by, but since DC doesn't change it's current direction, it doesn't let go! But as with all things electricity, that's where the cork shoes and the one hand in the pocket rules come into play.
Found out that ICE's Cyclone game uses some commonplace parts on-board, such as 74- series logic and a 7805 voltage regulator.
And it uses two different kinds of incandescent bulb: #906 (13.5V wedge base) and #81 (6.5V bayonet base). It also uses neon tubes in blue, pink, and green, to match the game's station colors.
I plan on getting a neon tube that I found at a part dealer to possibly light with a flyback circuit.
Hard to beat commonplace parts since they're usually the cheapest. ^^
Shouldn't be too difficult to get it to light with a fly-back circuit. ...Of course there's probably a few different ways it could light.
I ordered the tube plus an old Bob's Space Racers display module with 152L digits.
I know the display module should take a pulsed 12V at least considering it uses vane displays. The displays also have wire harnesses to address each set/clear line, and all common lines tied to one wire per digit.
And when I called up ICE to get answers on the voltage of the U-tube neon, they didn't really know. (They also have pie-shaped tubes, but I went for a U-shape. Also pink because it's filled with no mercury, just neon and a flamingo pink filter.)