Potcake Island and its world are filled with more than just dogs. This is a magical land, one swathed in strange magic and wonderful creatures. Fantasy States are a special species of dogkind that are meshed with a mythical element [sometimes nicknamed mythical mutts] There are currently three playable Fantasy States you can use in the roleplay, being Demibeasts, Koigis and Kinejo. You are allowed to mix any kind of canine base when designing your Fantasy State character, so a fox!demibeast or a wolf!demibeast are fully doable, same with Koigis and Kinejo. Other fantasy based dogs do exist but will only be added with time should there be interest in the states.
They are found throughout the world and tend to be slender and long-legged animals with long muzzles, bushy tails, and erect pointed ears. Canina is meant to refer to 'normal' Caninekind, things that aren't Demibeasts, Kinejo or Koigis. This including foxes, wolves, jackals, and other members of the dog family. All canines on the list are useable, if any are missing please let us know. The main playable species is the domestic dog, with the wild variants being less common but no where near non-existent. There isn't much a species barrier in the universe, so in reality, most of their differences are just cosmetic and they can freely cross breed like any other dog/dog coupling that will result in healthy, fertile offspring.
Note: Crossing different kinds of Canina do not count as hybrid state in the world of Tale of Tales. A Wolf/Dog or a Fox/Dingo would still be seen a s a normal Canina. Only if you crossbreed with something like a Demibeast, Kinejo, Koigi or Wulfbat will your dog be counted as a hybrid state!
Average Height - Varies from species to breed
Average Weight - Varies from species to breed
Life Expectancy - 60 to 75 years
domestic dog [main dominant demographic]
jackal (multiple species) black-backed jackal
African golden wolf
Falkland Islands wolf
South American foxes (multiple species)
African hunting dog
bat eared fox
island gray fox
Tibetan sand fox
The Goddess can’t be everywhere at once and so forged from stone itself She gave these beasts life by breathing air into their ghastly faces. They turned to flesh and ever loyal to the benevolent Goddess who gifted them with such life, swore loyalty to serve Her as she saw fit. She ordered they protect the land and its inhabitants from harm, a guardian that would keep dogkind and its existence from being snuffed out. Not many know their existence is truth, as demibeasts are very good at remaining hidden. The orb they carry is a special magic, it allows them to take on the form of mortal dogs and statues, hiding in plain sight as they monitor the world. Potcake has exchanged many legends of demibeasts, saying how loyal followers of the Goddess may be turned into one to help Her carry out her wishes. Others speak of how they save dogs in danger, swooping in at the last moment to haul someone away from what should be a sure end. Demibeasts have names among themselves but very rarely give their true name to just anyone. [“To know one’s name is to become mortal,” the Goddess warned, knowing she couldn’t remove their humanity, the need to feel things and experience like any other creature, “You cannot become attached to something with a name.”
About the Creature
Demibeasts [or simply known as beasts or guardians] are dogs that resemble large mastiffs crossed with a lion and boar. Their colors range from bright and extravagant to dull and more on the realm of realism. They are also capable of having feline-based and pig-based markings and patterns. However they always have thick luscious curly manes and tails, and rarely are they small. They are forged from stone and even slumber in such a state, hibernating to heal wounds and ailments. [Depending on the severity of it, the process can take as little as 8 hours and at longest years] This stone slumber is why they live so long, rumors state they are immortal but in truth they merely have long lifespans. They say for every year of a normal dog's life, a Demibeast only ages by three months. The older the beasts the more its spirit orb cracks and fades in its age. They wear bracelets and a necklace to control their strength, as unrealized they can bring harm to those they mean to protect. Beasts serve the Goddess, She created the first Demibeasts and their descendants since carry on the tradition of serving Her by protecting Potcake and anyone who needs it..
- They can breed with other dogs, Fantasy States, and Demibeasts as well. Female Demibeast will carve the offspring out of stone. Its a long process that among Demibeast culture is an act of devotion, hoping that the future pup will carry onto the duty to protect Potcake and its inhabitants. If the father is another Demibeast it will also help her craft the pup. They say the Twayblade Mines are where a Demibeast will pick its stone, all beasts not born from beast or female/non beast unions are forged from rock or gemstone.
- The same process happens if the parent is anything but a Demibeast. The resulting offspring will always be a Demibeast, however its been noticed that pups from such unions will have less vibrant coats and manes, smaller teeth and even show traits that aren't characteristic to Demibeasts, but dogs. Like tail shapes and lengths, floppy ears or even spots.
- When a Demibeast fathers a pup litter they will always come out as the breed of the carrier. Such pups are normal and will hold none of the characteristic traits of their divine parent. However, it is know that will express these traits at some point of their life. It can be from longer fangs to manes. Its unknown what exactly triggers the presence of these traits, as some can start developing until later years, but it is possible for the pups to have them at early ages.
- Demibeasts are devoted followers of the Goddess, even if modern day communication between them and Her isn't common. They patrol Potcake and those not from the island also act as protectors all over the Perrita Kingdom, some even serving the royal family itself. Often times they aren't home much as its in their very nature to protect and serve caninekind and its world, usually adrift in the wilds or busy streets of towns, anywhere that might be waiting for their beck and call.
- Their strength is unrivaled, it must be for they have to be ready for anything. With jaws strong enough to crush through steel, you do not want to cross a Demibeast on a bad day. They can lift twice their weight as well. [Construction crews love beasts for this reason]. A beast wears golden gauntlets to control this power of theirs, as without proper focus even the slightest of touches can break someone delicate. All beasts possess a spirit orb as they call it, its given to them at birth, connected to their essence that brought their stone husk to life. Its also this orb that allows the beasts to access their divine stone slumber, as well as other glamours for beasts who want to hide their appearance.
About the Creature
- They can breed with other dogs, Fantasy States and Kinejo as well. Kinejo pregnancy is much like a dog's pregnancy, however they are pregnant for two months rather than one. When they cross with anything that isn't a Kinejo, the offspring are known to have unstable magic they can't control very well. They aren't able to get all ten tails as well, the most they reach will be five, leading to their poor control of spell casting.
- Kinejo who aren't master magicians yet use a wand, it helps regulate the coursing power of their spells as it feeds on life force. A Kinejo also depends on his many tails as a power curb, a skilled Kinejo will use his tails for magic and illusions. Their power includes limited futuresight such as fortune telling [some modern day Kinejo make a good penny giving fortunes and predicting the weather, as mundane as that sounds compared to ancient times], glamour spells including shape shifting [this requires the Kinejo to place reeds, a leaf and the skull of an animal on its head to achieve] as well as playing with nature itself, which lead them to punishment from the Goddess in the past, they can encourage plant growth and mess with the weather in small spurts. Mal!Kinejo can meld into the shadows itself with Ben!Kinejo being able to hide within moonlight.
- Kinejo typically are mentored by a magic user that isn't their own family, as they want to spread what they can learn beyond just the family unit. Every Kinejo has its own skill level and technique, they feel its important they make sure such knowledge isn't ever lost.
About the Creature
Koigis are small dog-like creatures that resemble corgis mixed with an otter and koi fish. They usually like to hang in wet places like rivers, lakes and oceans, though Koigi are capable of walking on land like the normal dog. Just, be careful, too much sunlight dries them out but its nothing a good dip in some water won't fix. Koigi come in many colors but are always splotched or spotted with very long agile bodies and short legs. Their ears are a mixture of fin and normal dog ear, like a corgi. They can be used to hear and to better swim. Koigi's come in two varient, furry or scaley,. Koigi with fur have it short and glossy but can have tufts.
- Koigi can only breed in the Spring and Summer. They need warm weather and water to reproduce, as Koigi both breed and eventually give birth in the lakes and rivers of Potcake. Male Koigi crossbreeding with female non-Koigi are exempt of this, however. Koigi spawn after one month, they become pregnant and eventually give live birth in the water. They celebrate the breeding season as a holiday during May, new life and new starts is always a joyous time to them. Koigi in general just like throwing any excuse to have a party. Young Koigi are called guppy/guppies.
- Koigi are clumsy as a newborn foal on land at times due to their short legs and long body but within the water they are some of the most graceful, quickest creatures you'll ever see. They have webbing between their paws and finds on their elbows to help them propel themselves through the water, as well as their powerful tail acting as a thrust. Their whiskers are feellers, allowing them to determine what they can squeeze through when swimming and sensing threats.