victoria sponge covered in dark chocolate ganache and finished off with my white chocolate shavings for snow.
I wanted the snow effect to be subtle, kind of like the first snow of the season, just a little helping. This was the best sponge i have ever made, so light and the first time making chocolate ganache
I took more photos i need to look through to see if there are better later
150g self raising flour
150g softened butter
150g castor or granulated sugar
3 large eggs
6tbsp milk or cream
1 tsp baking powder
200g dark or milk chocolate, chips or broken into pieces
200g double/heavy cream
The ganache recipe was featured in a recent journal of mine [link] and is the first of them i have made [link]
As the ganache need to be left to thicken for this cake so i don't want it running all off the cake i made that first.
1. Place the chocolate and cream into a pan, height on a medium heat until smooth and silky. Put to one side to cool and thicken.
2. Line two round 8 inch baking tins with baking paper and pre-heat oven to 180oC
3. The sponge, there are too ways of making this.
3a. The quick way. In a mixing bowl or using a food processor add all the sponge ingredients and mix until smooth and lump free
3b. My way. Cream together the butter and sugar, mix in the eggs, sieve in the flour and baking powder, mix until smooth. Finally add the milk and mix until silky. I prefer this way as i feel the sponge comes out lighter.
4. Evenly distribute between the two tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a skew comes out clean (a good time to clean up)
5. Leave to cool on a cooling rack (a god time for a tea break)
6. After giving the ganache a quick stir, spread it generously between the cake layers, sides and top.
7. To finish you can sprinkle over some chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, chocolates, cocoa powder roses [link] or even some fudge [link] whatever you fancy.
If you want the sponge chocolate flavoured, just add some cocoa powder to the mix. You could even add bottled flavourings or orange rind.
food gallery [link]
my recipes including oreo truffles, cake balls, mini apple crumbles, pizza, honey and ginger cheesecake, trifle, cake and cookies [link]
my Etsy store [link]
More from this Artist
Paper Prints: Premium giclée prints on high-quality paper stock. learn more...
Canvas Prints: Combining simplicity and elegance, our Canvas Prints are the classic way to present your art. learn more...
Photo Prints: High-quality prints in glossy, matte and lustre finishes. learn more...
Art Gifts: Customized art products including calendars, mugs, coasters, magnets and more. learn more...