SecretMore Like This
Spirals of deceit surround and hold me
confusing with words you once swore true.
Riding on lies like a mode for movement
(tell me your secret) what is it that you do?
Selling sweetly scented samples of lust
controlling with eyes that sparkle and glow.
Struggling to hide behind pretty-painted masks
(dare you to speak) infidelity shows.
Protected by truth, it comes in all forms
naivety in me has been taken and lost.
Tongue bleeding to tell a thousand lies
(whisper your feelings) with lips still glossed.
Dehydrated from tears that wouldn't stay in
Your lips oozed with words that weren't new.
A dream lived in me that you truly felt love.
(your secret is out) I discovered the real you.
HIT ME RUNNINGDon't sell me funeral plotsMore Like This
on late night television
if the end is already in sight
am I supposed to pull the sheets up to my neck,
count to zero,
smile, and cease?
keep your pills, in all their pretty colors:
celebrex, propecia, allegra, lipitor, zanex, viagra
keep them for scrabble
keep your rogaine, your facelifts
keep your death insurance
keep your graveyard reservations
hit me running.
let me go down swinging
make it a sport:
give me a ten-minute head start
and an obstacle course.
place a beautiful girl on the far side of a mine field
and whisper, "she wants to kiss you"
target me on my feet
dodging doomsday's in slow-mo bullet time
let me duel the grim reaper in a poetry slam
but let me lay where i fall
let the buzzards and coyotes
pick apart my bones
don't stuff me and sew me up
waste my estate on alcohol for my wake
instead of wood for a coffin,
build me a funeral pyre
and set me ablaze like a pagan-warrior-king
You know ur a Firefighter IF..* You can tell what type of fire it is by the smell of smoke 10 miles away.More Like This
* You have ever had a heated debate over the color of fire trucks.
* You have ever spent 10 minutes trying to force open a door only to have someone come along and open it by turning the handle.
* You lay out your clothes from that day so if there is a call at night you can find them quickly.
* You take great joy in smashing the windows of a car parked in a fire zone or in front of a hydrant.
* You have ever been airborne without an aircraft and water was your thrust.
* You always wear red suspenders.
* You carry a ton of specially modified tools in your pocket.
* You ever cursed out someone for armor-alling the seats to make them look nice.
* You've ever clung to the air horn chord for dear life because the driver is insane.
* You have ever played jingle bells at Xmas time on the air horns to clear traffic.
* You have ever said, "she's hot tonight" and NOT been talking about a girl.
* You have ever called a pe
A Fireman's HaikuThe alarm goes offMore Like This
In a mad dash we go quick
Into the unknown
Sirens blaring loud
Red lights casting dark shadows
Into the night air
Unsure of what is
We venture into the night
To help a victim
We do it for them
Not for gratification
But to help someone
Many dont get it
Its a firefighter thing
Thats all I can say
To save a person
Or a belonging or friend
Is one thing we do
Protection of lives
Is another specialty
That we believe in.
~* Jen Reynolds