The bridge was built in 1942 during the German occupation, because the only remaining bridge crossing the river Sava at that time was demolished. For that reason, the purpose of the bridge was the transportation between the two river banks. The construction of the bridge was planned to be installed over the Tisa river, but the demolition of the King Aleksandar bridge led to the installation of the construction over the pillars on the Sava river.
The bridge had a wooden driveway until 1942, when the planners suggested the reconstruction of the bridge to the mayor Branko Pesaic . After a five-year reconstruction a new concrete panel was placed. During the decade of the Eighties the first trams crossed the bridge and the concrete panel was replaced with the steel one.
The traffic on the bridge has always been minor to other bridges crossing the river, due to the bad access to the bridge on the Novi Beograd side. It was one of the main reasons why the vast reconstruction of the bridge did not start until 2007. The road traffic over the bridge was reestablished in 2008 . The reconstruction included new traffic signals, poured asphalt, fences and decorative lighting. The capacity of the bridge was increased to 30,000 vehicles per day.