OH MAN were these costumes work. They have 0 stretch to them, so making them fit (especially the bodysuit!) was difficult. I also broke abou 12 needles in total, it was frustrating but totally worth it.
I was sick and tired on Saturday, and boy did it show - but Eurobeat Kasumi Photography still managed to get some good pictures!
To anyone who ran in to me Saturday, sorry if I was awkward to talk to/not looking to happy - I had some sort of stomach bug and I just felt miserable.
Too much work went in to this costume, it's easily the one im most proud of to date. The whole top half of the costume is armor, for accuracy sake (although it was much more difficult than just doing a fabric top.) The wig was 4 arda wigs sewn together with a few ponytail clips, and it was ridiculously heavy!
Fabric shopping was the biggest battle for this costume, matching the blues in fabric was a big pain. I would find a fabric I like, move it to the cutting table next to another blue only to realize it was purple! The dress is made from a two way stretch silk knit jersey. I made a custom pattern for the dress which has a halter style neckline and side slits up to my waist. The 'arm warmers' are made from a combination to dark blue suede and silk knit jersey. I added details of suede strapping, gold buckets and gold studs for more visual interest (inspired by the Ame-Comi statue). My cape is a modified Simplicity (5794) cape pattern. My favorite fabric to use for capes is a matte satin, I love the weight and the slight shine it has. I heat sealed the bottom of the cape to allow for optimum cape movement. My belt is custom made and resin cast by me. I use Castin Craft for my resin pieces, it stinks to high heaven and takes 3 hours to set... but the pieces come out flawless. The circular pieces are made using a per-existing mold whereas my raven center piece is custom sculpted, molded and cast by me. The belt is painted using Krylon gold metallic spray paint. All the cast belt pieces are mounded on a dark blue pleather belt made by me.
Costume Construction: I drafted a pattern for a Donna by altering a pre-existing pattern I've made. The bodysuit is made from four way stretch glitter velvet, I'm still finding glitter everywhere from sewing it. I put under-bust seams into the bodysuit to help the bodysuit mold to my body. I designed to suit to have a large enough neck opening to allow for no zipper. I applied rhinestones all over the bodysuit by hand using E600. The suit has multiple constellations mapped on the suit including Scorpio on my thigh, Virgo on my hip and Orion on my calf.
All the silver sections are made using silver metallic spandex. The belt is gathered under the belt buckle to give it dimension. The belt buckle is sculpted by me using Scult It, painted, varnished and attached with a snap. I made my chocker from PVC with a sculpted silver eagle and my earrings which are silver moons.
Starfire is a costume I always wanted to do but never though I could. Then I decided to go for it! I thought I would feel uncomfortable being half naked and orange at a convention but I had nothing but positive experiences as Starfire! The amount of little girls who were thrilled to see me was amazing.
Costume Construction: Starfire is a costume you look at and think "I can't totally make that easily" but when you sit down and plan things out you wonder why you though it was easy!
I drafted a custom monokini pattern for Starfire's main suit, which is made out of a purple metallic spandex. I made a moulded collar and 'bra' piece using fosshape to add structure and support to the suit. The boots are made in two sections: a boot piece and legging. I wanted to be able to easily take of my shoes and rest so making the thigh high boots in two pieces was the best decision possible. The legging section has silicon elastic on the tops to hold them in place. My bracers and armband are made out of wonderflex and craft foam. I head formed the bracers to allow for maximum arm/wrist movement so they are super comfortable.
All the gems on the costume are custom cast in resin. All the purple gems have purple glitter inset in them where as the red gem is done in a marbleized red. My ‘crotch gem’ is attached to a pin backing so it is removable for storage/washing. All the purple gems are finished with purple glitter glue surrounding the gems.
Here it is, the first image of my Dark Phoenix! I had a blast wearing this to Genrecon last weekend, and although there are some things I need to fix (the heels wore through the boot covers, the sash needs a different placement and the sides need to be taken in), I am amazingly happy with how it looks! I was really comfortable, which I wasn;t expecting, and didnt look half-bad, haha.
I hope you guys like it at least a fraction of how much I love it. I am really proud of it.
Photographer: *everage Cosmaker/Model: Myself There are no edits on this photo
So here it is... the first look at my new and improved Black Canary cosplay! I wore it to Con Bravo this year in Hamilton, and it went over very well!
I am very happy with how the bodysuit turned out... so happy that I will in fact be using it for a bunny suit Haruhi cosplay as well! I will need to make the jacket for Black Canary out of the same wet look spandex asthe bodysuit, but the denim works well for now. Expect more photos to come~!
Here's another of my favourites from the recent photoshoot I did with Suddenly Sam. We were in a parking garage, and when we came across this light, I jokingly posed under it. Sam grabbed a quick shot, and then told me to keep posing, as it turned out so well. This is my favourite from that set.