Describing an ActionWays to Say ItDescribing an Action in Writing More Like This
"He opened the door."
He burst into the room.
He felt the door give way.
He watched his own hands struggle against the door as they pushed it open.
He saw a group of people pan into view as the door eased open.
He couldn't remember pushing his way through the door after he had stumbled into the room.
He was barely aware of himself opening the door.
He couldn't stop himself from nudging the door open.
He might as well wear a friendly countenance now that he was opening the door.
The door opened.
The door swung open.
The door was opening.
The door was being opened.
The door creaked when he pushed it open.
The door led him into a warm, crowded room.
The heavy wooden door finally gave way, and he was soon easing himself past it.
His hand found the door, and he turned the knob and walked through.
The handle felt icy in his fingers as he opened the door.
The sound of a door swinging open caused her to jump.
Before he knew it, he was already pushing aside the door.
Ideas for Character PastsLife-Changing EventsIdeas for Character Pasts in Writing More Like This
- Rite of passage (birth, adolescence, marriage, joining a religion or club, etc.)
- Death of a family member, mentor, lover, pet, or best friend
- Committing a crime; murder, stealing, break-in, kidnapping, arson, rape, drugs, adultery, forgery, treason, etc.
- Victim or witness of a crime
- Falling in love
- Converting beliefs
- Switching jobs/careers
- Switching lifestyle
- Saving a life
- Scientific discovery
- Personal discovery; destiny, spiritual goal, family secrets, hidden potential, power, or talent
- Fighting in a war
- Winning or losing a battle
- Being recognized for a skill, trait, endeavor, or heroic deed
- Falling into/out of an addiction or habit
- Gaining an inheritance or gift: money, a weapon, armor, jewelry, privilege/rights, property, pet, etc.
- Moving to a new residence
- Going to live with a different family member or guardian
- Achieving a long-term goal
- Earning an award, winning a prize, trophy, certificate, badge, etc.