EDIT 4/26/09: This outfit has been retired (AKA I tore it to bits
This was originally part one of my Grad Project for school; A study of Elizabethan women's clothing, different countries and classes (working title obviously). Eventually, my supervisor convinced me that I was being a little over the top with my project, and I changed it (and after a while I really appreciated changing it).
The outfit is roughly based on a batch of paintings of French servants and peasants. It's made up of:
-Ankle length stripe white linen square neck chemise
. The cuffs close with hand plaited wool ties. I chose this fabric because of the unique look. It helped set off the drab of the mass amount of green I used. However, seeing as its not all that accurate (and it shrank a bit too), I made a new fitted smock to wear with this outfit and my Flemish gown.
-Red poly blend petticoat; 5 yards, knife pleated and back lacing (12 hand sewn eyelets and hand plaited wool lace).
-Green brushed cotton overskirt; 5 yards knife pleated and back lacing (12 hand sewn eyelets and hand plaited wool lace).
-Green brushed cotton bodice
; front lacing with detachable sleeves (2 hand sewn eyelets on each sleeve, 22 on the bodice, no boning, hand plaited wool lace).
-Red poly blend partlet; hand plaited wool underarm ties and hook and eye front closure.
-Mustard cotton bonnet
; too small, so excluded from final project
-Heavy unbleached cotton duck apron; excluded from project do to shrinking in the wash. replaced with a table runner found at a garage sale.
-Heavy unbleached cotton duck biggins
; originally a bit small, but fits wonderfully with my hair up. Unfortunately, this biggins was lost to the great wide world of Yogi Bear campgrounds after a late night laundry session, one very muddy weekend at MiRF. I'll be making another one in the same fabric quite soon.
-Optional 2nd overskirt in Tartan and matching shawl
; for those wonderful Celtic weekends.
-Maroon cotton weave jacket
; for cold days. Originally a blanket
from India; bought cheap to use as the magic carpet when my school did Aladdin. They threw it out the day after the show ended. Idiots.
-Straw hat; purchased $14. Tie made of a scrap bit of stripe linen.
-Leather belt, gifted by my friend Gary Trammel of Goldfrost Photography
-The ring, which is hard to see in the photo, but has been inquired after by various people, was made by my mothers father who I never had the chance to meet. It was created of melted nickels and has a large M on it for Marvin. It weighs a ton.
I finally managed to finish this outfit in time for the third weekend of SLRF. It was amazing cool in the hot weather. Not surprising though, not too many people, my friends included, recognized me. All patterns are drafted by me, most are designed by me, and there are over 20 yards of fabric on my body. It was my first attempt at historical costuming, much less sewing something so complicated (I know its not all that complicated, but to me it seemed it was). My estimate on total time it took is about 2 weeks.
A standing view with a slight show of the petticoat can be found here
and a view with the fitted sleeves can be found here
Unfortunately, in a hurry to help set up my friend's booth, I managed to lace my bodice wrong that day. Oops. Also, in my infinite wisdom, forgot to take off my pirate medallion on.
Photo © Gary Trammel Goldfrost Photography
(A few more photos of my outfit can be found under the SLRF 2006-Weekend 3-General)
Dress design, construction, and character © Elizabeth A. Slucas (RSAMD TPA 2006)