The Name GameThe Name GameThe Name Game2 years ago in Personal More Like This
Pitfalls to Avoid and Tricks to Use while Naming People and Places
We've all been there. You're reading a pretty interesting piece of fantasy fiction, and a few paragraphs in you learn that the main villain's name is "Abraxas the Cruel, Lord of the Black Tower." You wince at the unoriginality, close the deviation, and move on to something more interesting. We've all been on the other side of things, too, with a detailed plot outline in hand, staring at a Word document that displays only a single line: "???? knew what he had to do--kill the president." We're sure that once we get that protagonist's name down, that perfect name, we'll be able to write the whole thing in one gush of brilliance, but all that's coming to mind are banal names like "John Everyman" or over-the-top ones like "Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster".*
*Yes, that is his rea
Novels and Shorts - Plotting the Easy WayCommunity WeekNovels and Shorts - Plotting the Easy Way3 months ago in Literature Features More Like This
Hi guys! My name's BloodSplotchedInk, and I would like to talk to you about basic plotting tricks for those of you new to planning novels and short stories.
To some people, planning may seem like more work than it is worth, especially for shorts. Sometimes we have ideas that we're just so in love with, we just want to pour it onto the paper, even if we don't always know where it is going. And that's where we tend to get stuck. We look back and are either at a loss for where we need to go, or have dug ourselves into a hole. Or, in less severe situations, we finish and end up with plot holes, which as authors we may or may not catch before publishing.
So if you've never plotted before, how do you begin? There's so many suggestions out there, it can be overwhelming. Today, I'm going to list some of my favorites, and in what situations they can be useful.
Short, But Descriptive, Overviews
You might have an idea that you feel you just have to get onto paper
Character Creation and RulesA comprehensive guide to roleplaying in RP groups can be found here for further reference: http://fav.me/d4ya3ypCharacter Creation and Rules3 years ago in Deviant Events More Like This
Please be sure to adhere to the following rules when creating characters to enroll in Otherworlde:
Characters must be paranormal, supernatural, or magical in some way. No basic humans without any magical ability are allowed (though witches and warlocks certainly are).
Furries are not allowed. Characters can be nekomimis (ears and tail) but no more. Shapeshifters who turn into animals are perfectly fine as long as their humanoid form isn't furry.
Characters should fit the atmosphere of the location. This is a very dark place, so please don't have overly colorful characters or dress them in basic street clothes. They should represent the horror theme.
Characters must be sixteen or older. Exceptions might be made if your character is younger
Making the Most of the Words You UseHave you ever opened up a dictionary and just starting reading it? (Oh, come on, I know I'm not the only one!) Well, if you haven't, you should go do that, right now, before you read any further. Okay, you're back. There are literally hundreds of thousands of words out there, and all of them are waiting for you to use them in your next literary masterpiece.Making the Most of the Words You Use2 years ago in Literature Features More Like This
Now, you may be asking "So what?" Words are just words, right? So long as you get your point across, that's all that matters, right? After all, green is green, whether you call it olive or neon or sea-foam. Right? Right?
Wrong! Consider this scene: Abigail walked through the quiet garden. The hedges formed a maze for her to navigate.
It gets the point across, but doesn't paint much of a picture without context. It's kind of boring, and doesn't give you any details or reason for caring. By adding or changing a few words, you can turn this dry piece of toast into an enchanting seedcake of delight.
Creative Writing Tipsso im p much a terrible writer but my book has a bunch of useful stuff and idk heres some info it gave. some of these tips can also be used with regular art and stuff too i guess. i super recommend this textbook cause hot diggity. lettuce beginCreative Writing Tips1 year ago in Personal More Like This
(this is only parts of the intro and chapter one; some is paraphrase, most of it is direct quotes)
What is creative writing?
- learning to observe and pay attention to the world and human experience
- using words to describe an experience in a way that catches reader attention
- using words to expand and extend who you are and what you can know
Six tools for effective writing meant for the reader
1. Images - "living pictures"
2. Energy - "spark for attention"
3. Tension - "push-pull; what will happen?"
4. Pattern - "repetition; give form to meaning"
5. Insight - "perspective and wisdom"
6. Revision - "mind's eye; see what the reader sees"
The primary goal of creative writing:
Worldbuilding: Environments and Social StructuresAre you ready to build a world? Good!Worldbuilding: Environments and Social Structures2 years ago in Literature Features More Like This
The Magic Gateway, by jerry8448. This is what we want to do with worldbuilding.
Worldbuilding is a complex process, because it is essentially creating the base of a different reality from our own. An author must pull together all the elements of a 'world', and capture that in text. This applies in any genre of writing. Even non-fiction has aspects of worldbuilding because it has setting and world details the same as fiction. In any genre, if the world is flat, the story will be flat and one of the best ways to build a fictional world is to know about one's own. Stories and readers both require an interesting and engaging place to go to, and our world, as well as any imagined one, can provide this! Because our world is the base of most human experiences, it is a great place to understand for both personal and writing reasons. If the author understands the sett
Predictably Unpredictable CharactersMy mom and I were watching the Korean Detective K movies last night.Predictably Unpredictable Characters4 months ago in Personal More Like This
(You can watch them on dramafever.com or dramacool.com) If you like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies or the witty bromance banter of Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr in Sherlock Holmes, then chances are you'll like these.
The Detective K movies have a similar feel to Pirates and Sherlock, in terms of the balance of comedy, supernatural elements, and action, except they're Korean, and in the Joseon era, so you might have a historical fashion shock and stuff. There are also story twists galore, so yeah, I highly recommend them.
Anyway, while watching, I had this sort of enlightenment about why my own characters are always kind of boring to me, and at the same time, why Detective K, Jack Sparrow, Sherlock Holmes, Rocky (and m
About writingIn honor of NaNoWriMo I wanted to do at least one journal about writing this month, even though I'm no expert.About writing3 weeks ago in Art Features More Like This
Writing is everywhere
I feel like writing is one of the most unseen and perhaps even most under appreciated forms of art these days. Writing is virtually everywhere, yet it's very much overlooked. People tend to think about writing as just the stuff you read in books, but what about blogs and journals? What about your favorite game, movie, show, or anime? What about your favorite comic? Would you even like your favorite character that much if it didn't come with that backstory that made you feel so much for it?
Yes, that's writing. All of it.
As for my own experience; I've always been fascinated by storytelling. I could watch and read anything, as long as it had a good plot and characters I could care about. I think the true skill of a writer is to make (nearly) everything
How To JoinTo join this group, you will have to do several things:How To Join3 years ago in Personal More Like This
♕ Fill out the Application Sheet
♕ Fill out your character's bio. You can find it HERE
♕ (OPTIONAL) Get an application check once you've finished your application.
Please post the link to your application in a comment on our front page.
♕ Wait for the day that we will open member requests (this will be most likely a 24 hour window)
♕ Fill out the google form we will link you
How to JoinBefore creating your character, please read the rules:http://kitty-cancan-cafe.deviantart.com/journal/Kitty-CanCan-Cafe-RULES-295913499How to Join4 years ago in Personal More Like This
If you wish to join, send a join request and fill out an application.
When applying, please put your character on the app sheet, and fill out the needed information on it. When your finished, link your app in your join request.
Members please limit yourself to ONE waiter and ONE customer.
Admins may have at least 2 waiters and 2 customers.
Please put the following info in the description of your application for your waiter:
Age: -Age limit ranges from 13 to 35-
Height: -in feet-
5 Ways Characters Can FailEDIT: If you like this journal entry, check out The Sarcastic Guide to Writing ebook http://www.amazon.com/The-Sarcastic-Guide-Writing-ebook/dp/B005TOCC1C for exclusive content on world-building, character, and dialogue!5 Ways Characters Can Fail4 years ago in Personal More Like This
1. They don't have flaws. Flaws are the first thing that should be explored in character, at least after the first flashes of inspiration have passed and you start moving into more concrete turf. People say Mary Sues are defined by lack of flaws; the flip side insists that giving your character "issues" won't make a character any less of a Mary Sue. Now, my definition of a Mary Sue doesn't involve flaws or the lack thereof; a Mary Sue, to me, is defined by the disproportionate amount of attention given to a Sue by the plot and the priorities of other characters. So, yes, it possible for a Mary Sue to have legit flaws and still be a Mary Sue. However, the difference between "issues" and a character flaw is what role they play in the character's deve
How To Join [OPEN]How To Join [OPEN]4 years ago in Personal More Like This
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
Tell your friends who want to join now~
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: TBA
NEXT OPENING DATE: TBA
Do NOT submit your application before the opening date.
Here is a nice guide on RP Groups!
Don't forget that if you have a friend already in, they can work towards getting you in via the Invitation in La Piazza del Mercato!
And to those of you who would maybe like to change societies as members, don't forget that there is the Society Change item in the shop!
[ STEP 1 ]
Read up on and pick a group, according to your OC's desires.
La Compagnia = Chaotic Good
La Dinastia dei Valentino = Chaotic Evil
RulesHello there! It seems like you have checked out this group, ne?Rules3 years ago in Personal More Like This
I'm going to give you the rules of joining/applying here in Tenshi Academy. Make sure to follow them all!
- Respect everyone
- No godmodding or metagaming
- Don't make anyone feel left out in an RP
- Don't force anyone to join an rp, or tell anyone they're not allowed to rp.
- Don't offend others
- Please do not trace or use bases for your artwork.
- If you're drawing traditional art, please scan it or make the photo as clear as you possibly can
- Please keep OOC posts to a minimum when RPing.
- If you talk OOC when in an RP, please use some sort of brackets ( like )), ]], }}, etc. ) to avoid confusion.
- Please keep stuff PG-13 if there are people that feel uncomfortable around that sorta stuff
- One character per person
- Only one specie per character-- no double-specie unless you're an admin.
- Your character has to be one o
Rules and RegulationsGENERALRules and Regulations2 years ago in Personal More Like This
- Read all the journals. They're very important!
- Treat others as you wish to be treated. Know of the golden rule!
- Respect the mods! Refer back to the golden rule. We are here to help you and regulate members to try and keep a positive environment for our members. You will receive a warning upon treating a mod with disrespect. Our mods are extremely polite and friendly, and we would like to ask you to be the same towards us!
- No trolling. Those who've seen the early days of the group would understand, and we'd prefer not to have that repeated.
- No flaming. We would like to maintain a positive environment for members.
- Any questions or concerns? Please leave the group a note.
- Please leave all kinds of drama at the front door. At Spirit-Fish, we would like to keep our environment stress-free and positive. If you bring in any arguments or RL problems, it'll cause a lot of discomfort to other members, so please be sensitive to others. Bringing in drama might give you
GuidelinesGuidelines4 years ago in Personal More Like This
➠ Be active.
Please, think carefully. There is no point in joining if you’re unable or think you’re unable to stay active. We need an honest amount of your time to make the storyline progress. OTL
This group is also more art based. Please keep in mind- roleplaying is fine, but you will
5 Things That Will Make You a Better WriterEDIT: If you like this journal entry, check out The Sarcastic Guide to Writing ebook http://www.amazon.com/The-Sarcastic-Guide-Writing-ebook/dp/B005TOCC1C for exclusive content on world-building, character, and dialogue!5 Things That Will Make You a Better Writer4 months ago in Personal More Like This
1. Work on something else. I know, I know. You've been working on that story of yours for twelve whole years, and it's your baby. Sure, it may have been inspired by that Dungeons and Dragons session you had when you were thirteen, but you're going to make your fortune with it! It's the next Harry Potter! When my pals and I have gone to writing conferences, we've made note of an interesting phenomenon: when someone has written a first novel in the fantasy genre, it is invariably a sword-and-sorcery novel or a portal fantasy. I will bet money on it: show me a first novel and I will show you a sword-and-sorcery or portal fantasy. There's nothing wrong with sword-and-sorcery as a genre, don't get me wrong. It's just that in writing
TIME UP future member head up hereTime up guys we now gonna look trough and will update the list with accepted peopleTIME UP future member head up here2 years ago in Personal More Like This
there be lil line to divide the who join first and who in second round aka this
so watch out !
It will take us few days ~
PS thosewho are trying AGAIN (didn't made it in the first time)NOTE THE GROUP plz so we know you try again
Get yourself ready do sign in the military !
THAT YOUR APP WAS ACCEPTED INTO THE FOLDER DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE ACCEPTED INTO THE GROUP!
READ ALL THE JOURNALS CAREFULLY
TIME OF MINI OPENING IS ONE WEEK!
15th -> 22nd
Dont forget include links to tasks in your application describtion!
You will go trough 3 parts
PART ONE-> APPLICATION -> refer to http://fav.me/d6d4ho8
You fill the application and submit to a folder which is open , no need to be a member.
6TH ENROLLMENT Judging is now in progress. This could take any length of time from 24hrs to up to 7 days.6TH ENROLLMENT2 years ago in Personal More Like This
★ We will be open for applications from October 15th - 22nd.
★ Please read all stickied journals thoroughly and be precise with your information as there will not be any app checks.
★ A few reminders to prospective members:
- Wear proper uniform. We may be stricter with uniforms this time around.
- Be creative but clear with your character description. We enjoy characters who have their own personality quirks. HH is a school specializing in the stars/astronomy, so be sure to tell us why your character enrolled in such a school!
- As per usual, non-foreign characters are preferred. HH is a Japanese school, afterall!
- Avoid having similar names with other existing students. Check this journal for a complete list.
- We w
Frequently Asked QuestionsGot any questions? Maybe some of these will answer them!Frequently Asked Questions2 years ago in Personal More Like This
Q: What type of group is this?
A: Our group aims to be a group where you can sit back and relax, where people can draw, RP and make friends! We like to keep our group active in terms of art and chats.
Q: Is this a fish gijinka (personification) group?
A: No. Your character will be an ordinary human with a spirit fish.
Q: What is Spirit-Fish about?
A: It is a world where every human has a spirit fish. A being separate to themselves, but at the same time, is connected to the person. Spirit fish represent the human's true self. Read about spirit fish here.
Q: When and where is it set?
A: In modern day Australia, specifically in a university setting. The university doesn't matter too much though, but just to let you know, the initial setting is in the University of Sydney. Remember that we are in the southern hemisphere, so seasons may be reversed!
Q: When will the group hold the next ope
How to Plot Like a GrimIn ten simple steps, you too can plot like a Grim.How to Plot Like a Grim2 years ago in Literature Features More Like This
1. Get an idea
This can be a brief snippet of dialogue. Or an ending that just seems perfect. Sometimes it's just the concept of what I'd like to see a character go through. I write that down. Usually it doesn't see the cold light of day for at least a couple months, but when I've thought about it long enough and can't seem to get the idea out of my head, that's when I sit down and start plotting things out a bit.
2. Work out the basic plot
Now that I've got the idea, I need to work out the basic details. But how do I do that? Well, I write it down. Then I think about the different angles to get to that idea. I write those down. If it's dialogue, who's talking? What do they feel? Who are they talking to? If it's a snippet of a scene, who's in the scene? Why are they there? What are they doing? What's going on outside of that scene?
ENROLMENT INFOENROLMENT INFOENROLMENT INFO2 years ago in Personal More Like This
JOIN REQUEST IS CLOSED.
Application Check is available by commenting on our front page with a link to your app, asking for app check! Please note we only make sure that you have filled in the fields correctly and have provided the necessary information! When we said everything is alright, it does not guarantee you will make it into the group.
Characters must be drawn in full body or half body, and a minimum of 1 chibi is required on the application sheet.
Please note that you must have your app completed before submitting a join request! Those who have submitted a join request should not ask for App Check anymore.
Applications will not be evaluated officially until the end of the opening and when join request is closed.
Thank you for your understanding!
Edit: We've determined that we will be accepting only 19 new members for the next opening to fill up all 60 member slots for the group. This number is prone to change, however. We'
Draw OC Contest $40 in prizes! ENDED!!!Drawing Contest Topic: Drawing my Original Character doing something! Seriously, anything PG.Draw OC Contest $40 in prizes! ENDED!!!2 years ago in Personal More Like This
Deadline: September 13th, 11:59pm http://wwp.eastern-standard-time.com/
Guidelines for participants~
Your submission can be done in any drawing media (traditional, digital, pixel)
Please do not change or alter her gender without permission.
You can enter a maximum of three pieces, but only may win once
Send me a note or comment here with a link to your entry, and I'll add it to the entries folder. (I will not go searching for it)
You're free to submit your entry to any group you want, but you must accept my request to put it in my group Collection-System
Drawing Smoochy is what this contest is all about!
Please link to this journal in your contest entry's description!
The entry must be made specifically for the contest! (You cannot use previous deviations for the entry, this includes bases. Collabs are fine as long as the
KCCC-CURRENTLY CLOSED [NO MORE UKES ALLOWED]Kitty Can Can Cafe is now open for applications~!KCCC-CURRENTLY CLOSED [NO MORE UKES ALLOWED]2 years ago in Personal More Like This
About KCCC| Joining Process|Rules|Skype
UPDATE[10/3/13]: Guys,we're getting way too many ukes being submitted into the group and there are less semes than there should be.From now on we will be declining uke applications until we get enough semes to balance out the group...Ehh even though it may be cute,we don't want thousands of ukes to run the place without some manly semes there..
We are now open for new applications for the group~
Please be sure you follow and read all the blog links above in order to get a chance of being accepted into the group.When submitting your application to the group,please ma
* Announcements [ April 30: Important Changes ]April 30, 2014* Announcements [ April 30: Important Changes ]2 years ago in Personal More Like This
After a lot of deliberation, OhSquishy and I have decided to make Arupa-Ka into a casual, publicly open group. It will keep it's "my-pace" environment and will be changed into a group for people with alpaca gijinkas/kemonomimis in a present AU to meet up, hang out, draw with and find roleplay partners.
Additionally, some major changes include:
- We will be moving all current applications into the "Character Archive" folder unless you request to be placed in the "Active Character" folder. Please comment below if you wish to stay as an active RPer in this group.
- At the same time, we will be removing the "*Skype Masterlist" and ask that any active members to resubmit their RP information to the "*Roleplay Masterlist".
- We will probably have no more mini-assignments and events, aside the random "art trade" events once in awhile and potential group RPs in the chatroom.
However, feel free to use the current resource