Here's a flightpin I made. Steampunk-ish with a wrench in the center. It turned out better than I thought it would so I may make some more of them. Any suggestions on items to put in the center? I'll probably make one with cogs/gears in the center also...
Made out of: pre-bought metal wings, sculpey, and paint.
I made this the last day of metals class just to have something for critique. For a three hour endevour, it turned out rather well. The shapes represent the four sacred chinese animals, the dragon, the tortoise, the ki'lin, and the pheonix. It's just a little, tiny, lidless box.
Ah, before I get any more comments on this, I drew my sources for the four animals from a book. Two folk now say that the unicorn-type beast ought to be a tiger instead. I'm not saying that other people are wrong; the book could very well be. Or it could be either depending on where you are in the country or depending on the era you draw from. That's the way of culture. In anycase, if I'm totally off, I apologize, especially if I offend someone over it. I really didn't want to. I thought I could trust published material, but I guess not. On the matter of the tortoise, I know the oriental depiction is very different, but I decided on a more realistic one just out of artistic choice. I liked the large, positive space, and had it had that long neck in there, it would have a different shape than I wanted.
(Couldn't think of any better title, and I'm not really sure what category to place multi-layered papercuttings in.)
Though deceptively simple at first glance, this has got to be the most complicated papercutting I've ever done, requiring 6 different colors of paper (I didn't add color to anything), 7 layers of cuttings, and 3 weeks of work. I designed everything myself except for the "Valknut" symbol, which you can see in full over here. The Valknut is an interlocking triple-triangle associated with Odin, which is found on several Runestones and on the headboard of the bed found in the Oseberg Viking ship burial. The 8-legged Stallion is of course Sleipnir, Odin's steed and the son of Loki (I based his body on that of a fjord horse). The two Ravens are Hugin and Munin, Odin's messengers/information gatherers, whose names mean "thought" and "memory". The swirly borders at the top and bottom are space fillers (based on an infinity symbol, which is an ancient Norse design), and the circle in the back is the full moon. (I used a thinner sheet of paper on Sleipnir, because I was hoping the symbol would show through him a bit, but I'm not sure now if I like how that effect turned out.) Anyway, this is going to my husband's boss as a Christmas gift. I usually give cuttings as gifts because they are generally well-received and appreciated, as well as easy and fast to do (most of the time), and very inexpensive, requiring only paper, glue and either an X-Acto knife (which I use) or scissors. It saddens me to see how papercutting is now a dying art, in spite of its international heritage. My hope is that by posting these, some of you in the younger generation might become inspired to make some yourself. For those who are interested, please feel free to drop by my Scherenschnitte group or the Papercutters Guild.
This little guy really grabbed me, it's been so long since I've really been sucked in by a piece like this one. But every once and a while all the pieces fall into place, and I'm really excited with how this little guy turned out. He's 3 1/2 inches tall (total) and is sculpted in "Magic Sculpt" a two part epoxy clay. He's been painted with Model Masters acrylic paints...
Argus snoozes while he dangles a tiny mushroom precariously in front of his trusty steed "Dragontoof" who forever chases the delectable treat in perpetual circles. hehe
A detachable collar for wear with an old-fashioned tunic collar shirt. These were common up until the end of the 1930s, though rare today. I made a collarless shirt with the holes required for the studs (I used a McCalls pattern and modified the collar stand), and have some vintage collars to wear with it, but I wanted to make my own. I wanted those '30s points, and they're hard to find.
I drafted the pattern for the collar using an original to get the shape of the collar stand, and then using old pictures of collars to get the shape of the collar. The collar points are 3". It is 100% cotton. There are three hand-worked buttonholes, two in front and one in back. After sewing I starched the collar by dipping it in a starch and water mixture and then ironing it. It's quite stiff, the points are supporting the weight of the collar in the photo.
The collar is not uncomfortable to wear at all, despite being starched.