SatanPerhaps one of the most widely recognizable and debatable characters of Christianity is one who is not the central focus at all—an angel fallen from Heaven for the sin of pride, who has been around since the Jewish beginnings of the religion. He has been known by many names through the years, each with its own slightly different association. He was Satan the adversary, Mastema the accusing angel, Duma meaning "silence", Beelzebub who is the god of the flies, Lucifer the Morning Star, Sammael, and many other names (Davidson, 185, 99, 72). Yet though he has been around for centuries, the concept of what exactly Satan is and what ideas he embodies has changed greatly, influenced by linguistics, politics, culture, and art.
In the beginning there was the Adversary. In the books of Numbers and Job, satan is far from the character an average modern Christian would recognize. Instead, he is an obedient servant of God; an angel who acts as messenger and does God's bidding. Satan is not a name;
It'll happen to youSpooky words from Abe SimpsonIt'll happen to you4 months ago in Personal More Like This
It's safe to just assume that most people in their mid 20's right now were raised by The Simpsons
I know it's still on, but i have no idea if its still popular or if anyone still watches it..
But in my slice of time growing up in the 90's, Simps was on every single day! Several times a day!
After school, by channel flipping, i could lineup 6 episodes every night
and I did!
But I recently saw an episode again, that i loved as a kid, and scared the crap out of me as an adult
When the episode aired in 1996, i was just 10 years old, just as Bart was.. is.. permanently..?
I identified with the kids because my own parents didn't have a clue what was cool.
In 1996, i was Bart
Now i am 27, 17 years later i watched this episode again
and it all rang familiar to me for a horribly different reason!
I HAD BECOME HOMER!
Now I too find myself perpl
Emotionless Asylum: Part OneEmotionless Asylum: Part One9 years ago in Short Stories More Like This
I was never a normal child. My parents knew that since I was born. That was why they abandoned me outside the orphanage. But even they found me to be, unusual. I never laughed when playing with the other children. I didnt cry either when they picked on me. I never made any friends. I didnt care. I didnt want any. What I wanted was to be alone, and if I couldnt have that, then death.
I wasnt at the orphanage long. After two years of not talking, odd behaviour and not even a chance at being adopted they sent me to a doctor. He spent years studying me. I slept in a spacious room, with a bed, a chest for my things, and a window. They pitied me. I knew it. They gave me nice clothes, toys, books, anything a normal small girl of six could wish for. But I was no typical six-year-old girl. I didnt care for the things they gave me. When I threw the toys at them they would always end up back in the chest. There was only one thing I liked
How To Live A Happy Life1. Stop searching for all the problems, and start looking for the awesome things in life.How To Live A Happy Life3 years ago in Reviews & Guides More Like This
2. There's always an endless supply of things to be stressed about. Don't waste your time on them. Just let them go.
3. Be happy for others who are happy or successful, even if you're jealous of them.
4. Accept that life isn't perfect.
5. Believe that you are wonderful and beautiful; love yourself just the way you are.
6. The quickest way to help yourself is to help others.
7. Be open to other/new possibilities.
8. Listen to what others have to say.
9. Always think of at least one positive thought in every situation.
10. Reslove conflicts with gentleness, or you'll just be adding to the fuel.
11. Don't use up your energy fighting battles; use it for doing things you enjoy.
12. Life is one mistake after another, so don't be too hard on yourself.
13. Be nice to the people who need someone to be nice to them.
14. Be patient when you're in a bad mood. Wait for the good mood to come back again.
Eternally YoursAt times it seems as ifEternally Yours4 years ago in Free Verse More Like This
it were only yesterday we met.
The time has passed so quickly,
days, months, even years, becoming
a blur of a shared reality.
Others dream of a love like ours.
Timeless, perfect, true.
Never was there a doubt,
we were meant for one another.
There can be no others,
not for us.
Our hearts, our souls,
so deeply entwined
one about the other,
it would be impossible to know
where one begins,
where the other ends.
All around us, others age,
their love, their beauty
fades, withers and dies
like the roses in winter.
But we do not,
ours is a love to outlast time,
and I will always be...
my last wordsI sit.my last words5 years ago in Free Verse More Like This
Then i see you.
The fire in your eyes.
Your so powerful.
The rage you bring.
I'm too weak.
Your so strong.
I need to break from your bearings.
I find the courage.
Finally I have broken free.
I finally have spread my wings wide open.
I can finally fly free..........
.With My Wings..With My Wings.10 years ago in Free Verse More Like This
With my wings,
I soar to new heights
Seeing things others cannot.
I am the eagle, I am the hawk,
I am the one that can fly.
With my wings
I find my love
in everything that loves me.
My heart flies alongside me,
as I court and wheel in the sky.
With my wings, I can fly
With my Wings.
© Mindy Sherwood 2004
InsanityWhy hello there insanityInsanity6 years ago in Free Verse More Like This
Let me walk you 'round the floor
If you look off to your left
you'll see the girl i was before.
The tiles might be broken
But its nothing time can't fix
But if you think its art-work
Then all the broken parts will mix.
And the doorknobs may not work
But you can crawl through like spies
The holes you made with your fist
Are looking just your size.
The mirror in the hallway
Has seen some better days
And although you may see yourself
It's not uncommon to also see haze.
And the windows may be drafty
But i promise its not too cold
And if you can deal with that
I'm sure that you'll be sold.
And you see here in the closet
That the lightswitch doesn't work
But that only because
There are inner demons that lurk.
The picture frames are empty
But thats only an attempt to forget
All the fun i once had
And the soul that I once bet.
There's shattered glass in the bedroom
From when you told it was goodbye
And i let the bird out of it's cage
Knowing it would die.
But the basem
InsanityBright lights,Insanity7 years ago in Free Verse More Like This
InsanityInsanity5 years ago in Urban & Spoken Word More Like This
To Maintain a Healthy Level of Insanity
1. At Lunch Time, You Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.
2. Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!
3. Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask If They Want Fries with that.
4. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks. Once Everyone has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch to Espresso.
5. In the Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write 'For Marijuana'
6. Finish All Your sentences with 'In Accordance With The Prophecy'.
7. Skip down the hall, Rather Than Walk!, and see how many wierd looks you get.
8. Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.
9. Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is 'To Go'.
10. Sing Along At The Opera.
11. Put Mosquito Netting Around Your Work Area and Play tropical Sounds All Day.
12. Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You have a headache.
13. When T