Just a meme I did because I was bored of my personal favorite Yuri/Shoujo-ai couples! I could have very well drawn them but I was lazy so I know, I know drawing is more fun but I didn't feel like it. Anyways! XD From top to bottom!
10. Chikane-Himeko from Kannazuki no Miko. I really like Chikane and the love triangle thing was very interesting and the plot (romance wise) was actually very well done despite all of the unnecessary mecha battles and such nonsense. They're very sweet as a couple <3
9. Kouya-Yamato from Loveless. I really loved these guys and how they love each other but don't make a big deal out of it. They should have gotten more screen time! In actuality their love is very realistic and down to earth compared to most Yuri/Shoujo-ai couples.
8. Kyouko-Yui from YuruYuri. Now it's getting interesting XD. I love the relationship between these two with the whole "Protector" aspect with Yui. That one childhood flashback at the playground was so cute! I nearly died *_* ! Kyouko was so innocent and fragile when she was younger and Yui looked so badass with her short ponytail XD! Yui looks cute in her little Panda suit too ;3 <3
7. Rin-Mimi from RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne (or just Mnemosyne). I was suprised at how little romance time these two had together considering how sexual this show is. Despite this fact it is blatantly obvious how Rin and Mimi care for each other and again with the whole "Protector" thing from Rin. They share a strange and funny bond and it will never be broken <3 I wish they had gotten together in the show but I guess we can't always get the couples we want in our shows =[
6. Sumika-Kazama from Sasameki Koto. This show was hilarious and the relationship was so heartbreaking. A love where the girl is in love with her best friend but too afraid to say anything because she's afraid of losing her friend </3 A cliche concept but very well played in Sasameki Koto (the manga goes eons farther than the 13 episodes of the anime). The title of Sasameki Koto (translated to Whispered Words) really fits their theme and angsty moments. I love these two to death and don't mind reading their story a million times over! <3
5. Ah, Yumi-Sachiko from Maria-sama Ga Miteru <3 My very first anime and my very first loved couple <3 They never kissed but there was enough Yuri subtext and sweet moments to make up for it! This time the relationship is a more "Onee-sama" feel and it just makes it feel so sweet. It shows how much they rely on one another and count on each other for a bit of guidance. I'll never forget them and the impact they had on me <3
4. Kandade-Yuki from Candy Boy. Don't be fooled by the title there are no boys in this anime! Many people thought of the title too literally when it's meant to be thought of in a more metaphorical manner. Anyways! Back to the couple XD. So Kanade and Yuki are sisters that share a bond that's...more than sisterly if you know what I mean. But I can't see how anyone could think of this relationship as digusting when it's just so adorable!. The promise they make to one another is so touching and heartwarming! They genuinely love one another and nothing can ever break them apart! I adore them dearly.
3. Yomi-Kagura from Ga-Rei: Zero. In all my anime experience I have never seen such a deep romance plot between two characters. Yomi is supposedly engaged and the writer made it seem like she likes her fiance but there are so many Yuri signs to prove that the engagement is just to keep homophobis people at bay! The Pocky Game, Kagura's promise to take care of hospitalized Yomi forever, Yomi's true desire/wish to protect Kagura <3! <3! <3! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL! Unfortunately the relationship ends in tragedy but it was enough to make me tear up and my heart to break for them <3 I will watch their story until my eyes bleed red from lack of blinking and crying so much! You MUST watch their story people!!! XD Lol.
2. Kyouko-Ayano from YuruYuri. XD!!!!!! is all I have to say to them! Ayano being the Yandere she is and Kyouko being the adorable little closet lesbian she is just makes for a great couple and HILARIOUS to watch. Ayano is so in denial you just have to laugh at it and Kyouko doing things to her without realizing it and making Ayano blush is just too cute for words! A must watch for any Yuri fan <3!
1. Here it is. My number one favorite forever couple. MITSU!!!!! (from K-ON!) THEY'RE SO ADORABLE!! I mean all of the signs for them are so well placed and so deep that you can't deny their love for one another. Mio's Tsundere attitude is so silly but then she has her deep moments with Ritsu that just make you go "AWE!" and poke your lip out. A lot of thought and depth was put into their relationship by the writer and you can tell from their silly moments to their heartfelt ones and everything else in between! It also helps that Mio is my all time favorite anime character XD But seriously these two are so much fun to write fanfictions for and stuff and their adorableness makes me want to explode <3 Mitsu forever!
Well that's my top 10 XD hope you liked them as much as I do and if not then...you should! Lol!
I've been into yuri/shoujo-ai recently so I decided to do this meme after seeing someone else's version also on yuri [the blank meme is suitable for all kinds of pairings and/or fandoms]. But damn, this took long enough. Coming up with a top 10 was hard, mostly because I'm still new to this girl love business, so there are many animes and manga of this genre that I hadn't the chance of reading/watching yet, therefore my choices were very limited.
I only included canon couples of yuri series and a some others of non-yuri series but that are at least implied canon. No crack pairings on this.
Ok, so here's the list in detail.
10 - Mina Hazuki x Youko from "Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor." They are in last in this list mainly because they are only supporting characters of the anime (that is far from being a yuri one) and we don't get that many moments of them. I liked them and their dynamics together right away but unfortunately they don't have a happy ending .
9 - Rin x Mimi from "Mnemosyne". Another couple from a non-yuri anime (despite the several girlxgirl sex scenes). The couple itself is based on a friends-with-benefits kind of thing, but it's sweet nonetheless. The anime is dark and the plot is a bit weird, but it's only 6 episodes long and still worth watching.
8 - Shizuma x Nagisa from "Strawberry Panic!". The anime itself was kinda disappointing. I started watching because I read it was a reference in the shonen-ai genre but it didn't meet my expectations at all. But at least, the relationships between the two main couples is worth watching. This couple in particular - being the main one - has more to offer, of course. Yet I can't think of much to say about them - just go watch the anime to see for yourself
7 - Yoruichi x Soi Fon from "Bleach". Ok, this one can fall under the crack pairing category, but only if you are completely blind. Soi Fon's feelings towards her Yoruichi-sama are pretty obvious, but we can't say the same about Yoruichi. Their bond is strong but as far as love goes it might be one-sided. Since this is "Bleach", a shounen series, it's unlikely that we get any confirmation in the future about their "status". If it was up to me to decide, they are (or will be) an item alright, even if only off-screen.
6 - Shizuru x Natsuki from "Mai-Hime". OK, this is the only couple I've included in this meme which anime I haven't finished watching yet [I barely watched the 3 first episodes (out of 26)]. I discovered them while browsing a blog about anime yuri couples, and there was a video compilation of their most relevant moments. I guess it was love at first sight for me. XD Their story and dynamics is most definitely the kind of elements I like in my yuri/shoujo-ai stories. I'm not so enthusiastic about the anime in general though, but I just started watching it so my opinion might change.
5 - Ritsu x Mio from "K-ON". A couple that isn't a couple. They are, as far as we know, only BFFs . The anime isn't a yuri one either so anything in the pairings department is left to your own imagination. But that's the thing, all K-ON fans, including myself, seem to share the same fantasies, specially about this two
4 - Yui x Kyouko from "Yuru Yuri". In this anime/manga about yuri where there are no real couples (yet) this two characters that are close childhood friends, are the ones with more interest. If all the other relationships going on are one-sided crushes or based on admiration (or lust), the Yui x Kyouko relationship seems to take a deeper level. Which is saying a lot if you take in consideration the kind of character that Kyouko is (she's the reason why this anime is so much fun XD ).
3 - Fumi x Akira from "Aoi Hana" (aka "Sweet Blue Flowers"). Fumi and Ah-chan are the main characters and the main couple of this manga/anime. Their relationship as a couple is still only now taking the first steps (the manga is ongoing and the anime ends at very early point of the story). But the story is good and its on the serious/dramatic side. If you are an yuri/soujo-ai fan this is a must read & watch.
2 - Sumika x Ushio from "Sasameki Koto". These two start the story also as best friends. Ushio though doesn't hide the fact that she's into girls. And Sumi-chan, despite having romantic feelings for her friend doesn't say a word. Why? Well the thing is, she isn't Ushio's type at all (Ushio always falls for cute, girlish girls and that's the complete opposite of what Sumika is). Stuff happens, but I can't say more, just watch the anime and read the manga, I guarantee you won't regret it
1 - Akko x Mari from "Girl Friends". How this manga didn't got an anime adaptation until this point is still a mystery to me. The best of the genre I've seen, both in art and story. Akko and Mari are classmates who instantly become the best of friends. Not long after that Mari realizes she has fallen for her friend, and the problems ensue from there. Overall, these two are great together, as friends and as a couple .
I might do this meme again for straight couples sometime, but it's very unlikely for me to do the same with yaoi couples. Why? I'm not that much into that so I know very few yaoi canon couples (not nearly enough to make a top 10).
I've done the straight cannon couples now too. Here it is:
PS: Got any yuri / shoujo-ai anime or manga recommendations for me?