Part 1 - Outrage - [link]
Part 2 - Persuasion - [link]
Part 3 - Insight - [link]
Part 4 - Liberation - Coming Soon
Just like this part's title, it is sweet liberation for me. FREEEEEEEEDOM~~~~ ROUND 10 I HAVE FINISHED YOU >8UUUUUSo let’s go over the crazy, long-winded process that culminated in this final round’s final product:
- All the artwork aside from text was made with traditional mediums.
- Sketched all the individual panels in the pages of my sketch book.
- Used marker paper to trace and refine each panel, and get a nice watercolor effect with my markers when coloring. I used a paper cutter to cut the larger marker paper sheets into 3”x4.”
- Made the backgrounds from colored paper cut out from larger sheets and painted them in ink and brush. Traditionally inked speech bubbles too.
- Scanned 100+ of these 3”x4” pieces.
- Digitally compiled each panel with background, foreground, and speech bubbles. Saved as PSDs then saved each frame for Flash as JPEGs (so each time a new speech bubbles appeared).
- Worked on this basically every day in the time given in R10. Even took it with me to Florida and inked and colored in the road trip to and from.
So I know I’ve given the maximum amount of effort and time for this round as I could. Being the final round, I wanted it to be no less than my best.
Notes About Part 4 -
•For the past few rounds, I had been trying to find a good time for Kimyun to evolve. And since this was the final round, I figured this was my last chance. He's been wearing an EXP. Share this entire competition, it shouldn't be too surprising he's gained enough experience to evolve ;3c It's also kinda symbolizes Gracidea's growth as well.
• Final panel count on this entire round (excluding speech bubbles changes and backgrounds) is 121.
• Rayquaza fainted due to a combination of Dante's control wearing off as well as recoil from being forced to use Struggle since he was out of energy/PP to use his normal moves (One of my favorite strategies in regular gameplay eh heh >v>).
As this is my last round, it’s pretty crazy to realize I’ve been participating in this contest for over a year now. The contest actually started when I entered RISD my freshman year, and I know that in that time I’ve improved a lot and feel my rounds reflect that. I’ve met a lot of awesome people in BFOI, we all encouraged each other to finish, bounced around ideas during the rounds, and all and all helped each other out despite it being a competition.
This tournament has also given me experience in storytelling (and making a good story in a short amount of time) which will certainly help me in my future endeavors. Character development too, Gracidea and each member of her team overcame personal challenges in addition to the pokemon battles that obviously come with a Pokemon battle tournament. I feel like I know each character’s personality far better than I did at the beginning of the tournament, and it’s been wonderful to see them grow. I think that’s one of the main things I especially enjoy about OCTs. And I challenged myself to experiment with different mediums and techniques which was really fun.
I enjoyed my BFOI Y1 run, and I hope you all enjoyed following Gracidea's journey throughout the tournament as I did <3
STAY BIRDIFUL <3