Yeah I was gonna have this printed for Bronycon but then that didn't happen and let's not talk about it.
It's still gonna happen, just not until we get my printer fully tuned. It's way too tall for Rabid's.
OH YEAH! I've been doing this so long I forgot to explain to newcomers! My partner and I both have 3D printers and we sell custom figures! This one will be over 12" tall and can be commissioned for $160 +shipping.
Can I just say how HARD this pose was? Look at the eagle arm! What is it even doing there?! Can you bend your hand that far? Go ahead, have fun breaking your wrist trying to do that. I even toned it down from the reference because it just looked too weird in 3D. And then there was that time the bones forgot how to pronate, but I don't even know what happened there. It like...made the wrists collapse in on themselves and die if they were even rotated an inch. o.o
Surprisingly, the mouth was able to open that wide and look nice without any editing. For once I rigged something well!
After over a week of modeling and rigging he is finally complete! My most complex model to date by far (and that's even considering that my first character model ever was a Charizard.) He doesn't have any UV mapping yet, but for 3D printing, this will do. You can buy an 8" print of him for $160! And in any pose you like!
This was part of a fundraiser for RabidPeep and I to raise the money to be convention vendors at Las Pegasus Unicon! One print was given away in a random drawing and the other was given to John DeLancie himself!
Check out my series of posts showing step-by-step how Discord was made!
NEXT TIME I THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO RENDER A TURNTABLE, PUNCH ME IN THE MOUTH AND TELL ME NOT TO. Gosh, you'd think I'd learn. These stupid things always take a million years just to set up, and that's not even counting the EIGHT HOURS it took to render. But seriously...dat texturing.
What's even more amazing to me is that I barely had to do any post-posing editing. The rig just posed like a dream, which is astounding after so many months of fighting with the old one.
This particular model will be printed with the DJ booth included, as well as some large speakers that I didn't render because they would have blocked Vinyl herself. We currently have plans to offer prints of this that include mp3 player speakers built in, but it's the sort of thing that we probably won't do until someone wants it enough to commission it (sort of like how light-up toys got added to the queue once someone commissioned a light-up Luna.)
I was preparing some models for printing, and then randomly decided to nab Daring Do's mane/tail, recolor them, throw them on my new and improved base pony model, and render out a turntable to really show off just how far I've come in 3D modeling over the past 8 months. I'm also rather proud of the fact that I was able to thoroughly cheat and texture this RBD without actually UV unwrapping her at all (which would have been a waste of time with all the commission models I have to do.)
is holding a month-long raffle to help fund his team's trip to Bronycon this summer! This model will be turned into a 3D printed figure, and given as a prize to one lucky winner. The winner can even specify what pose they want the model to be in!
Don't mind me, just spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON RENDERS THAT DON'T MATTER BECAUSE ALL MY MODELS HAVE TO DO IS PRINT WELL. AGAIN.
(I needed to go back and fix up these models for a reprint commission, and I figured I might as well make a new render since the old one was butts. I mean, I know it didn't matter that the old render was butts because renders don't matter, but...argh, leave me alone.)
For starters there were about five moments throughout the course of it that I thought I was done, but I really wasn't because I'd be taking a render and then realize "aw damn it I forgot _____." Tons of small details that were way harder than I thought they would be made for the slowest workflow ever. That's not even counting the fact that I omitted a lot of details!
This wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't kept crashing the program all the time. *_* I honestly can't even count how many times the program crashed while I was working on this. Often times during saving, thereby resulting in piles of corrupted files. Even with frequent iterative saving and Autodesk's autobackup feature, the amount of progress I lost on this was insane. Probably the worst one was before Bronycon, in which I lost all my work on the sandals and toga, which completely destroyed my motivation to work on it again. OKAY COMPUTER I GET IT I NEED MORE RAM, GEEZ.
That's not counting the fact that it was just generally hard. The hair took forever because it was really hard to get it to look right from all angles. The arm looked like it was at the same angle at the reference image, until the hair and goblet were added and I realized it was way too far back, except moving it forward kept putting it into all sorts of physically impossible positions and I couldn't figure out how to position the goblet in a way that it wasn't cutting into the wrist.
I'd rather make three Discords than work on something this hard again. Chrysalis is gonna be cake compared to this.