This is my second entry, I decided to break away from the usual gritty Lara depiction and make a tribute to Square Enix by portraying not only Lara, but the conceptual beauty of the gaming environment, specifically the ancient Japanese lore and it's supernatural realm. Hope this artwork contributes to the concept.CONCEPT:
Sacred hidden sanctuary comprise of shrines and temples that when Lara visits under the full-moon's light this ghostly ruin becomes 'alive' with mystical and spiritual presence, reminders of this once holy place.
- The ghostly lanterns boats represents wandering spirits/geist who in the past were that of devotees, dwellers and pilgrims; they are drawn to this sanctorium even in present time, and most probably to eternity.
- The looming temples personifies itself in a way that 'they' are watching over Lara, towering over a mortal who appears in this forbidden vicinity after hundred of years from abandonment.
- Orbs and particles materializes due to presence of otherworldly manifestation. LARA:
- The ice axe, as if gestured by Lara, is practically the new Tomb Raider emblematic item, it identifies the reborn Lara Croft, equivalent to the classic dual pistols H&K USP Match. The fact that it was handed to her by Roth makes it poetic, like a initiation of her becoming a true Croft.
- Here I try to depict the 'explorer' within her as we are easily distracted by the hunter and survivor side of her. This art attempt to dial in on her passion, the legacy.
- Lara's symbolic footing on the sharp stalagmite portrays her lightness and at the same time the perils of adventure as if life is balanced on the tip of a bull's horn. At least in Tomb Raider
- Lara's 'looking back' pose is to show her acknowledgment towards viewers, especially Tomb Raider gamers. I believe this has a strong effect in the artwork.TECHNICAL
- Perspective-wise, it bends more towards creating drama and impact, hence I do not adhere strictly to 3-point perspective, though with a touch of distortion and this diagonal lasso'ed dutch angle.
- Background is Matte Painting.
- Here I'm going for that gaming promo art look with a balance of 'painter-ly' style and realism.First Entree: