Settlement in the Mowbray area started in the late 1870's by Henry Scott who was reported to be the first settler between the Pembina Hills and the US Border.
In 1902 the Canadian Pacific Railway extended its line from Snow Flake down to Mowbray. Soon after that, grain elevators, a railroad station and other business were built. In 1908 the original railway station and a number of other buildings were destroyed by fire. The station was rebuilt in 1909. In is interesting that in this same year, the CPR Railway spent more money than the Canadian Government promoting immigration.
Because Mowbray is situated on the Border between the two countries, it became a cultural and economic mixing ground. Travel during this time was very relaxed between the two countries. In 1919, in part due to prohibition in the North Dakota, the Mowbray Hotels liquor business soared. And it was common to see US citizens park their cars on the US side and walk into Canada, unhindered, for a drink. Doctors frequently crossed the international line as well as families who freely visited friends resulting in marriages between a number of US and Canadian couples. Until close to 1930, children from North Dakota attended school in Mowbray at Boundary School which was built in 1906. Some of them even lived close enough to walk home, over the international boundary, for lunch.
In about 1930, border patrols were established to reduce smuggling, and the free border crossing era began to draw to a close. In 1935 rail service was reduced to Mowbray which further weakened the economy. All of these changes, coupled with the drought and depression of the 30's led to the decline and depopulation of this area and town.
Today, little but the rail station built in 1909, remains of the town. Online Sales Gallery: The Untapped Source www.theuntappedsource.com/wayn…