5 Simple Tips to Better CosplayBefore I start, I just want to clarify that I'm by no means an expert at all this. I've only been cosplaying a year and I still have a lot to learn, but my tutorials and cosplays get positive responses and I'm often asked how I do certain things, so I decided to put up a few tips that have helped me get where I am.
1. Find a good cosplay photographer
I cannot stress how important this is. I've seen way too many great cosplayers who only have shots taken by their friends or family and it makes me sad their missing out on the attention they could get towards their cosplay if they just had some good photos.
How do I find a good photographer?
Pay attention to cosplayers from your area, whether it be Cosplay.com, WorldCosplay, Facebook or right here on DeviantArt. If you find someone who has a cosplay picture that you really like, ask them who did their photo shoot and ask for their contact information. If you're at a convention, look out for people with expensive camer
Mew's Cosplay Tips~Closed Shirt Binding~:Mew's Cosplay Tips4 years ago in Introductions & Chapters More Like This
Compression shirt (Optional)
~Open Shirt Binding~:
Double sided tape
(I will put the binding tutorials in the artists comments box)
Depending on the prop, you can most likely make it out of: cardboard, plastic, foam, ect. You could always buy the prop, but most the time they can be pretty hard to find but really, it depends on the prop you're looking for. If the prop is like glasses or something you can always buy it from like WalMart or something or whatever store that sells cheap or fake glasses. If it's like rings or necklaces it doesn't have to be EXACTLY like the one the character has though it is nice to have just like the character's. But I would say for rings and necklaces, just get ones that look similar or make your own. For earrings, like if you don't have the pierced, you could use clip-ons or draw them on your ear. Again, it all depends on the earring the character has on.
You can always buy w
Cosplay Tips and TricksTip 1 - Wigs!Cosplay Tips and Tricks5 years ago in Reviews & Guides More Like This
Always try and get the best looking wig for your character! If you've gone to all that effort with your costume it's honestly in your best interest to get a wig that looks good to complete the look. You don't need to break the bank if you don't want to, and don't worry if you aren't the best stylist out there! Just make sure that it's the same colour as your character and vaguely resembles their hair style and it will instantly look so much better than using your own hair if it looks nothing like the character you're trying to portray. Make the effort and you won't regret it!
Tip 2 - Putting on a wig!
Ok! So one of the best things to make wearing a wig easier is to wear a wig cap underneath the wig - this helps to hold all of your hair in neatly underneath the wig and will also help to hold the wig on more securely. You can either buy a premade wig cap or go for the slightly cheaper option of cutting the legs off a pair of ti
Cosplay How To Yellow PagesCosplay How To Yellow Pages5 years ago in Other More Like This
The links to cosplay tutorials are below in the artists comments, but here I thought it would be nice to give idea's for the photography side of cosplaying. Feel free to shout out any idea's you want added here.
Idea's For Where To Photo-shoot:
-Sky Scraper Back Drop(Even better with Neon Signs)
-In an LRT
-Snowy Park Bench
-Somewhere with Reflective Glass
-Put A White or Black Sheet Over a Door/Something Else/ Use it As a BG
Cosplay and Con Tips-TermsCosplay and Con Tips-Terms5 years ago in Other More Like This
1. Bring water to cons. Things can get pretty expensive at anime cons.
2. Have an e-mail you can give out at cons. This is handy if you take pictures and people want copies, or the other way around.
3. Expect people to want pictures while you are cosplaying and have some poses ready in mind.
4. Bring a small sewing repair kit while cosplaying. You can get them at some dollar stores.
5. Going to your first con? Go to the vendors hall right off the bat if you can. Items go fast.
6. Have a meeting place to find your friends. It can get very busy at cons and near imposable to find people.
7. Afraid of having to go to a con alone? Most cons have forums where people come up with a place to meet. If your con does not have a meeting place, don't be afraid to start your own!
8. When you are at a con, reellaaxxx. There even the most stuck up business person can feel like they are in recess again.
9. Make sure you make your cosplay the best you can.