"Located in the left bank of Paderne river stream, Paderne castle was built in the 12th century, during the last phase of Muslim occupation. It played a major role in defending the passage between Barrocal region and the coastline. The castle was conquered to the Moors in 1248 by D. Paio Peres de Correia, Master of the Order of Santiago. Despite not being well preserved, Paderne castle is a good example of military architecture in rammed earth, typical of Almohad ruling. The squared-planed prominent tower is also representative of that period."