How to make a decent character1. Avoid making fan characters. What's the point of creating if you're piggybacking off someone else's idea?How to make a decent character4 years ago in Reviews & Guides
More Like This
2. If all your characters look the same or look related, or they all look identical to characters from shows you like, you're doing it wrong. Practice variety in facial proportions, body types, heights, ethnicities, personalities, and ages. The easier it is to recognize a character without relying on their outfit or hairstyle, the better.
3. When basing a character off any culture's mythology, DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.
4. If you're going to make a character with any sort of physical/mental disease, DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.
5. Making a character original doesn't necessarily mean you need to give them a super detailed, cluttered-up backstory or appearance. Simplicity is a wonderful thing, and the most memorable characters are simple characters.
6. If your character is an outcast, especially in a social environment such as school, DO NOT make them attractive with
How to Avoid Creating a Mary Sue TutorialHiya!How to Avoid Creating a Mary Sue Tutorial4 years ago in Writing
More Like This
While reading manymanymany fan fictions and original stories with varying levels, it popped into my mind a few tricks to decrease the Mary Sue aspects from characters. I've sorted the tricks to different categories, hope they are useful! The categories are,
- What is a Mary Sue anyway? And why people create them?
- Before creating him/her, aka General attitude
- When creating him/her
- When writing about him/her
- Notes about fan characters
- Notes about original characters
- Links to other Anti Mary Sue tutorials
Most the tricks I've mentioned in this guide are good to remember all the time. However, the tricks I've marked with a star symbol (*) are optional, kind of extra tricks. I use quite harsh examples in the guide to make stuff clear, but remember that the flaws that are smaller than the ones that I mentioned can be bad, too!
On the other hand: Generally, NONE of mentioned flaws are ABSOLUTELY bad, so you don't necessarily have to throw your character into recycling bin or