Mecha WIP Design for Academy Senior Bad Girl character. Its much larger than depicted here. Mech is actually in the 60 foot tall range. Which would make it a Mecha rather than just a large Power Suit, or Powered Armor.
NOTES About MECHA ACADEMY: I actually wanted to do more variation in the mech body styles. But some of my concept behind the characters and mecha is that its some type of Mecha Academy for Pilots and other Trainees. Each Individual Pilots mecha is modified to an extent by the pilots or schools, but the main battle chassis and humanoid frame designs are universal. Schools or independent programs buy several dozen generic battle chassis frames a semester for training and mechanic courses. Students can fund their own parts and mecha, or supply technical data and specifications which can be uploaded into Academy fabrication units and combat programming. Throughout the year, different schools have both design and competitive challenges to rank each other and their students on a regional level.
:EDIT: mech alignment
Art - Concept - Design (c) Warhound Art Studio - Chuck
This actually is a collaborative work for a novel entitled "vanguard", where the concept of illustration is triggered by a friend of mine named "Vinko Satrio" also as the author of this novel and I am here as an illustrator as well as "mech designer" Here's a brief description of the work above is based on the idea of the author .. (But may change)
Haze Reiter Ex-G (Ex-Gharuda)
Unit Type: Prototype Assault Vanguard
Height: 18.64 meters
Weight: 79.83 metric tons
Armor Materials: Carbonated Avalon Alloy
Power Plant: Smir (Reinforce Solar Integrated Mirror) Generator System
Equipment Features: ICU (Integrated Unit Crest), Modem Link (For 2-combatant pilot system, to help activate the ICU), ELF (Enforcer of Living Force) System, Leaf System (Note: similar to Phsyco Frame), Wings of Garuda mode (mixing of Fire, Wind, and Light Crest Elemental Power)
Armaments (optional, and not all the parts installed in based type)
Beam 2x Katar (mounted on Garuda's Right and Left Arms) and is specifically for all types including "based type"
sparingly (High Energy Mega Thruster) 2x Cannon (mounted on Garuda's Right and Left Arms; charged by the help of Wings of Garuda Mode) This mode applies to space mode.
Wireless Leaf Blades 2x (at Garuda's Right and Left Hips) to this part is also optional.
Reflector Shield 2x (mounted on Garuda's Right and Left Arms)
WABC (Wide Area Cluster Beam) 2x (activated by Wings of Garuda's Smir Generator System) à note: similar to V2 Gundam's Beam Wings, this part applies to space type.
Pilot: Daniel Anarta
Here's a description of the existing part on Ex-G:
1. Hydraulic spring: spring is exactly like the kind of "up side down", this spring also serves to dampen excessive vibration in harsh terrain during the battle.
2. Thruster stabilizer: This is actually a kind of mini-throwers who serves as the outer space, where part of this work adds to mobility as well as stabilize the Ex-G in space, some of these parts are also in some other parts of the body such as the shoulders, chest, back, and so on. But for the "based-type" that is grounded type, the thruster is covered with special rubber seal, and the main engine thruster also has not been installed for this mode.
3. Cradle beam (beam Katar): This is the holder untuksenjata beam that is close combat, since this beam has a shape that is large enough, and therefore designed a special folds so that this beam could be at capacity in a limited space, but since almost all the space in the arm used for mounting the beam, then the special motion system at hand does not use hydraulic propulsion as the legs, but uses an electric motor system independently on each joints, there is also a spring on the hydraulic arm as in the feet, is intended that when shot, the vibrations generated weapons do not damage the joints of the arm, hydraulic spring also serves as a stabilizer for the accuracy of the more accurate shots.
4. Cooling: This is a holder for the main engine radiator, because this part is very risky, so in this section is also coated by a layer of bulletproof.
5. Additional Weapon holder: holder that works for additional weapons such as the gatling gun, rocket launcher (SAM), and others.
6. Additional cooling: the cooling function is almost similar to the previous, but this does not put on a radiator. has the task of optimizing cooling.
7. Jammer: useful to randomize the radar signal opponent.
8. Spot Scanner: useful to optimize the target lock, so the presence of the enemy could be quickly known.
9. Radar: useful as a detection target, and is useful also as an amplifier jammer.
10. Armor Plate: thickness and has a special material made of "Carbonated Avalon Alloy" so that it remains strong but lightweight, has a form of armor that is "angled" or "tapered" so that they can reflect enemy projectiles and in minimizing damage to the inside of the main engines. This armor will also be installed reactive armor.
11. Knee pad: useful to protect the joints of the feet, and also as a counterweight when the position of "kneeling" in this section will also be installed reactive armor.
12. Rail binder: Useful as a divider joints, it is useful to enhance flexibility in the legs when moving.
13. Hydraulic Protector: This recall risky part is damaged, therefore it is necessary protective able to cover the joints on the soles of the feet.
14. The hydraulic spring bBelakang: have the most extreme point of the curve, this allows Ex-G to perform the complicated positions like kneeling.
15. Rail spring: hydraulic system with a rail system, will minimize vibration and make mobility more stable, this rail system can be locked "when certain".
16. Cockpit: The place to hatch located on the rear cockpit, but still opened in the atasmya, but basically the position of the cockpit in the middle, with a position in such a way that allows the cockpit to escape in an emergency.
17. Main Thruster: This is used thurster only limited to jumping and sliding, allows to perform a responsive motion dodge. thruster above there is a slot for an additional part on setipa different types.
18. Reflector Shield holder.
19. Emergency Floodlight.
20. Rear Floodlight. * Function part 19 and 20 can also be as Morse code.
Thought I should start getting some concepts going for the mecha in the story.
This is Hiro's (commander's) Unit from the "Wolves" class of SF Cavalry Mecha. (First concept)
Outfitted with Broad-Spectrum Counter Measure CS-39's on the shoulders, a light assault rifle in the right hand, a custom alloy 469-d field sword, and a PL-equipped Handgun (shown with attached pike-bayonet) in the left hand.
Also various flares, chaff, rockets, grenades and further munitions located in shoulders, legs, etc.
So I did this because I wanted to start getting into the other mechanical designs for "dream."
This is one of the Federation's ten main assault support platforms. It functions at any range, but it operates at maximum combat efficiency within 30 miles of any engagement.
It boasts some of the most devastating firepower ever seen, second only to the weapons satellites which were outlawed earlier in the conflict. Generally these platforms patrol border areas, and occasionally provide direct support in battle. This can take the form of long-range shelling, missile support, or strategic command. The wolves utilize them exclusively for their large blackout payloads -special weapons once used only for scenarios such as scouting, retreat, defection and economic interference, and now used in a type of assault that the Wolves specialize in.
Each main assault platform carries a platoon of near-wolves class mechs specifically for battle support.
In addition to the raw offensive power, main assault platforms are heavily armored, and employ an orbital defense barrier linked directly to the core respiratory system (see below.) The nine plates attached to the top spine break off and independently orbit the control core at the base of the spine. Each one is controlled by an autonomous defensive system so sensitive that the nine defend up to 75% efficiency under the heaviest of fire, and up to 95% under normal circumstances.
It is generally considered almost impossible to destroy a main battle platform head-on with standard tactics.
Each one is also outfitted with extensive Broad-spectrum countermeasures and defensive gun and missile emplacements.
Using this platform as an example, I wanted to also describe some of the systems found in the mecha of "Dream" (which are also found to some extent in many aspects of civilian life as well.)
The massive weight is offset up to 90% (75% in mechs) utilizing two of the same systems also found within any third generation cored mech. The first relies on precisely monitoring and controlling the polarity of certain metals built directly into the frame of the mecha, as well as in one or more solid cores; these metals are set to a degree of near-orbit in relation to the planet's solid core using extremely powerful computers and properly regulated energy.
This allows for the construction and continued use of machines and buildings far larger than those found on Earth with the technology that was developed in the past, when such sizes would have had structures collapsed onto themselves due to the sheer weight.
The second system (core respiratory system) utilizes a series of plasma circulation channels that act similar to the hydraulics found in animals such as spiders -this system supplements the mechanical joints of any mech and increases the speed and power of third generation mechs up to ten times that of their predecessors. In the assault platform, the plasma channels provide direct power for mobility and the long range cannon.
I hosted a panel at this year's Anime Boston called "Let's Design a Mecha". I had a camera over my sketchbook that broadcast what I was drawing to a big screen. The audience and I worked together to imagine fun elements for a new mech and I drew everything as we went along. I also gave out raffle tickets and gave the drawing to a lucky participant at the end of the panel. It was a fast paced event and totally fun!
The final image was pretty neat but it needed some work. Hey, I was drawing as fast as I could while talking to 50 people! I took a (blurry) photo so I could re-draw it later. This is the re-drawn image.
Here's the old, blurry design on my facebook page ... [link]
Here's a breakdown of some of the design elements the crowd threw at me... - general style like Zone of Enders - shark fin on head - chest cannon - arm blades - humanoid hands - shoulder and chest armor - hip guns (they are detachable like pistols) - levitation vents - chainsaw blades for feet!