Block or Remove Ads: Yahoo Messenger ANY VERSIONI just discovered the safest and effective way to block Yahoo Messenger Ads for ANY VERSION. UPDATE: This still works for version 9.0.02162!
- NO need to edit the registry.
- NO need for EXE Patches that has Trojans.
- ALL YOU NEED is Notepad.
Block Ads By Blocking the Ad Server:
1. Open Notepad.
(In Vista/Win7, Run Notepad as an Administrator)
2. Open the following file:
3. Add the following line at the end of the text file:
What to do if Yahoo Changes Their Ad Server
I tested this since Yahoo Messenger 188.8.131.522 BETA. It worked.
This is because all ads come from "http://insider.msg.yahoo.com", which is the Ad Server.
Now, when you notice the ads coming back, it means Yahoo changed their Ad Server. To block them again:
1. Explore Crogram FilesYahoo!MessengerCache
2. Open urls.xml
3. Internet Explorer will display the XML file.