So i finished my WIP. Changed quite some things^^ I thought to create all those asteroids and the debris for the destroyed planet would be difficult, but it was suprisingly easy Had some problems with the composition of my different render layers i used. The Blender 2.52 Alpha is missing a feature i would really need, and i couldn't work further with the official 2.49 version, as the file could only be read with the alpha ... additionaly a sh*tload of crashes were bothering me, but thats how an alpha feels like But after all i'm happy with the result. On one hand i wish i could work more on it (tough i have no idea what i should add) and on the other hand, its "crowded" enough. so i call it finished The background with the stars came from the scene with the Behemoth spaceship, and back when i made this ship, i thought the star thingy could be worth a own picture. Made entirely with the Blender3D 2.52 Alpha (r27618). Use this picture however you want, as long as you credit me and link to this page here.
Uh ... yes ^^ This time in Cycles though. Its 95% Cycles and 5% BI (The smoke and the light in the background)
I wasn't sure if i could get the hair and the skin right. Afterall SSS and strand rendering aren't implemented yet. The skin wasn't so hard to do, translucency can work as a compensation.
The hair was a bit more complicated. I tried different stuff, but in the end I just converted the particle system, extruded it and slapped a solidify modyfier on top. But on the downside I had to tune down the number of actual hair strands by a factor of 10. So the hair looks only great when used from some distance away, wouldn't work for close ups. Same goes for the transulcency. It's nice, but up close it looks very poor.
So I hope we can get some SSS and strand rendering ... oh an volumetrics too. I wonder, maybe volumetrics could be used for SSS?
This time I also got more into UV unwrapping, and I must admit, I really really .... HATE it. It seems to so much work for only little of effect. I am also waiting for the old mapping options like 'flat', 'cube' and so on. I developed a node setup to get cube mapping, but its a bit annoying and not as convinient as in the BI. I came up with this several months ago, but recently a very similar solution has been used be the folks working on the mango project: [link]
I also like cycles way more than the BI I think. At first I was sceptical, remembering yafaray and luxrender, both really great, but the materials seemed so limited. I love the freedom of crazy things in the BI, and I feared cycles wouldn't offer those options, but its quite the contrary.
Cycles is at least as flexible as the BI, and on top of that it has the ability to render much more realistic scenes. And whether you do a sterile interior scene, or some crazy things like this project ... Cylces is the way to go.
Done with Blender 2.63, Cycles with limited GI (full GI is just painfully noisy) at 1000 samples. Oh and credit to redheadstock [link] for the rune textures.